Adoption Price?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiminpimin

Reaction score
I'm planning on adopting a third bunny but from a different rescue from my previous one. Is $195 too much for ONE bunny?

I'd say yes, definitely too high. At that price I'd be suspicious that they were in this to make money more than anything else. That's more expensive than even almost all of the most expensive breeders who I know charge for purebred, show quality rabbits.

If you are satisfied with the care and service they do, and you have a good feeling about that place and the rabbit, I would say a few bucks more or less don't matter much. Since you have already rabbits, topics like help with bonding are an issue (I don't know much about that), if all that looks good and you can find people with good experience with that place, why not.
Someone making a little money isn't always bad when it's worth it.

I mean, sum up what you spend on pets over their lifetime, compared to that imho the purchasing price dosen't put that much of a dent in a wallet.

It sounds a lot though, so I would have a very close look if it is worth it for you, it could be just a ripoff too.
I could get a bunny here for 10-20€, have it neutered for 100-120€, so that's not that far off. Dunno about shelters, or what they charge here, don't even know one that takes rabbits.

Last edited:
Ask the rescue if the bun has had a wellness exam. A fecal exam to check for parasites. Ask the rescue the costs they spend to have their rabbits spayed and neutered?

Ask the rescue if treatment was needed for ear mites, coccidiosis if a stray rabbit. Local shelters charge much less than the rescues in our area. Shelters that are overcrowded contact reputable rescues for possible acceptance.

Am curious how much higher the $195 adoption fee is compared to the other rescue you adopted from in California.

Chicago, Illinois, Red Door Shelter asks $100 for their adoptables.

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/28262310-chicago-illinois-rabbit

That document you posted in the other thread is a bit unclear. It says $45 & $125 reimbursement for spay/neuter. If that's included in the $195, that seems okay to me. Basically $70 after reimbursement.

My adoption fees were $60 and LB was already spayed the 1st time she was at that rescue.

Latest posts

Back