Adopting a neglected rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about that. He went pee in the litter but number 2 outside it

You can have bedding after Mallow been litter trained. Or you can use fleece blankets, easier to clean and you will save money. But if Mallow is a chewer I wouldn’t recommend having fleece :)

Today I am wondering how to let Mallow know he can leave the cage. I have a smallish area of the office ready for him to explore (with me around) but when I leave the cage door open he comes out a step, and then immediately scuttles back into the furthest corner of the cage and keeps his back turned to the open door. Is it too soon to try that? He's still very friendly with me today, lets me pet him and everything. I guess I feel like I am rushing him to come out when he spent so long not being able to leave his pen. After all, he just got here.

What a gorgeous bun..male or female, you really found a sweetypie, rabbits are amazing and sweet pets if you treat them like family they can be as wonderful as any dog and cat and thank you for rescuing that poor baby, good luck with your new fur baby[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji195][emoji195]

One week later: Mallow is doing great! Had a vet appointment today- he’s healthy! And so much enjoying exploring his new territory and eating his hay and fresh veggies and an occasional small piece of banana. He’s just great to hang out with! He likes to be petted and loves his environment. Also, I’m learning that he can fit through impossibly small spaces. How? Contortionist? Magic? Next step- seeing how the cats act with him. One cat is so curious she can’t stand it. They seen each other and Mallow doesn’t react too much. Of course, he’s safe in his cage at those times. I’m still learning bunny speak. If they can’t get along, I still have place and time for him to have by himself.

We give our kids who need a private bedroom space in an XLG d/k crate folded cotton/poly bed sheets, found at thrift stores. Easy to wash. Good point about remove bedding that may confuse a bun learning litter box habits or somebun who will nibble indigestible fibers. Monitoring for chewing is important to prevent GI blockage!

In addition to BlueEye's website link, you can watch the Howcast videos by Mary Cotter and Amy Sedaris. How to care for a pet rabbit. Mary Cotter has great tips on bunny care for everyone.

Here's more links for you: http://myhouserabbit.com/

and-- http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

How to Determine a Rabbit's Sex - Mary Cotter Howcast vid' : https://www.howcast.com/videos/514672-how-to-determine-a-rabbits-sex-pet-rabbits

Yup, treated like family domestic lagomorphs can be docile and affectionate like the top-2 surrendered pets to shelters. Genetics, breeding, and dwarf sizes can factor into their spunk. Also, how they were treated prior to establishing trust with you now as their Bun Mom! Thank You for making his/her life a million times better.

He is quite a character. I cut out a few boxes to allow tunnels around the room. He caught on quickly and spent a half hour going in and out and around. Earlier I had come in with a sprig of parsley as my greeting and he merely sniffed, wouldn’t take it and moved off, keeping his back turned all the while looking at me from time to time. Apparently he wasn’t in a parsley mood?

Reactions: Fuz

Latest posts

Back