Adopting a neglected rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurisfiction

Reaction score
Totally new to the world of rabbits! I need some advice. My daughter has a niece staying with her, who brought a pet rabbit. But since the niece moved in, she has rarely been home and has left the rabbit in the cage, and sometimes hadn’t been home to feed, water or clean the cage for at least that length of time. My daughter has been doing what she can but is caring for her children and has cancer and I’m over there quite a bit, so I’ve been basically bringing the rabbit food and water, etc. This whole situation is heartbreaking. That poor rabbit! Alone, locked in the cage with no food and water. We’ve been telling the niece to come and take care of her rabbit, but she rarely does. Is this the type of situation where I can just take it home with me, since it’s basically neglect? I’m worried that if I ask her for it, she will say no and then its situation won’t change.

It is your daughter's responsibility to make the rules, since it is her home. She needs to tell her niece that her behavior is unacceptable, and that if her behavior does not change immediately, the rabbit goes to the Humane Society, Animal Control, a local rescue or whoever your daughter can find to take the poor rabbit.

You’re right! And that’s what happened about an hour after my post! So tomorrow I’ll bring home the bunny. I already have cats and dogs in the house so I have a separate room I can put the rabbit in. The dogs are used to strange animals around every so often. And I’ve been doing more reading and it seems like the house will take a bit of rabbit proofing before that’s an option anyway.
I just want it out of there. She’s a sweet thing, and at least she knows me from seeing me almost every day. Now I’m going to have to do a lot more researching about them!

You’re right! And that’s what happened about an hour after my post! So tomorrow I’ll bring home the bunny. I already have cats and dogs in the house so I have a separate room I can put the rabbit in. The dogs are used to strange animals around every so often. And I’ve been doing more reading and it seems like the house will take a bit of rabbit proofing before that’s an option anyway.
I just want it out of there. She’s a sweet thing, and at least she knows me from seeing me almost every day. Now I’m going to have to do a lot more researching about them!

Im so glad you are there for this bunny! Once you have the proper set up and learn the feeding habits and requirements, it’s not a whole lot of extra work. Mine are litter trained and free roam. No matter how much I bunny-proof, they always show me what I forgot! Cords are the #1 victim. I have 2 cats and other than them looking at them stupid at the beginning because they hop and make no noise, they are always good to each other. The buns are fearless of the cats and have been from day 1. No hesitation about going up to make a friend! The buns want to hop around and follow the cats and one of my cats lays down and gently pats them and the other one just gives them the look. LOL
This forum has so much great information! Much better than a book as it is our real life experiences and trial and error!
Ask any questions and I would love to see a pic of your new buddy!
Welcome to bun-mom-hood! #bunmom

Welcome to the mischievous world of rabbits! Definitely bunny-proof your ‘rabbit room’. Protect cords, some rabbits chew baseboards and carpet. Rabbits can be litter trained like cats (the tray should be big enough for the bunny to do a full turn). The bunny may show signs of aggression because of the lack of contact. If it’s not already, get it spayed or neutered. A Microchip would be good too. Enjoy! I’d love to know how you get on!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I will probably need more advice as I go along. I am worried about how the long time being alone and hungry might have affected it, but since I spend a lot of time in my office that’s where we’ll start. Get the other animals used to her smell? She can have access to the hallway after a bit. Does she need any outside time in a pen? Maybe not plunge her in like that right away.

My rabbit is an indoor rabbit and does not go outside. He stays in my room and loves it. Your bunny might mark her territory on you things. For Apollo it was my beanbag that he marked. Don’t leave your dogs or cats unsupervised with her as they are predators and she’s prey. Also since she wasn’t fed some days she might be ‘food aggressive’ or something else. But you’ll figure it out

I also just recently adopted two rabbits that were neglected. Once settled into their pen, I found her being abusive to him. They have been together for two years and neither fixed. After her ripping the hair from his tail, blood everywhere one morning, I decided to separate him. Three days later she gave birth to two buns, one died and the other is doing great. Had no idea she was pregnant. I asked the person who I rescued them from and his answer was. Well, they've been together for two years, and she has always been mean to him, so I figured she wouldn't get pregnant. Wow, so he allowed them to fight this long. And to make matters worse, now that they're separated, I'm wondering why he won't eat veggies, only pellets. He obviously wanted them but refused. Since when I put pellets in his bowl, head is down and I never noticed, he has one bottom tooth so long it pokes him in the nose or high under the lip..He wasn't able to chew.
This angers me, this poor sweet boy has been basically starving. He's thin, and all that time, he only ate pellets. So, off to the vet he is going, getting neutered and his tooth ground down..
I'm so glad I took them, or he probably would have suffered his whole life. glad to hear your taking the bun. They don't deserve such neglect

I also just recently adopted two rabbits that were neglected.

That’s horrible! This one was so thin too, and only on a pellet diet when she was fed. I have been researching what they eat and giving her a few things and she’s just so excited about it, I can’t tell you!

Apple is their favorite treat too, he gets his chopped up small now, his appointment isn't until Wednesday, so I've been giving him extra attention..

I also just recently adopted two rabbits that were neglected. Once settled into their pen, I found her being abusive to him. They have been together for two years and neither fixed. After her ripping the hair from his tail, blood everywhere one morning, I decided to separate him. Three days later she gave birth to two buns, one died and the other is doing great. Had no idea she was pregnant. I asked the person who I rescued them from and his answer was. Well, they've been together for two years, and she has always been mean to him, so I figured she wouldn't get pregnant. Wow, so he allowed them to fight this long. And to make matters worse, now that they're separated, I'm wondering why he won't eat veggies, only pellets. He obviously wanted them but refused. Since when I put pellets in his bowl, head is down and I never noticed, he has one bottom tooth so long it pokes him in the nose or high under the lip..He wasn't able to chew.
This angers me, this poor sweet boy has been basically starving. He's thin, and all that time, he only ate pellets. So, off to the vet he is going, getting neutered and his tooth ground down..
I'm so glad I took them, or he probably would have suffered his whole life. glad to hear your taking the bun. They don't deserve such neglect
Poor baby!! I’m so glad you have him.

Update- Mallow is at his/her new home. I have no idea if it’s male or female. Anyway, Mallow had a bit of new food, some hay, and a new toy in the form of a toilet roll. He keeps putting it in his water dish. I take it out. He puts it back. And he seems to want to get out and look around even though I was going to wait until tomorrow in case he was traumatized. Has no problem with being petted. And one of the cats came in- Mallow only twitched it’s nose. Didn’t react otherwise. The cat meowed and it still seemed pretty relaxed. Went pee in the litter box which I set up per the directions of the person’s website recommended in an earlier post here! The crate it was in before was ridiculously dirty so I put it in a spare really large dog crate for now. 08982525-A2F7-4F74-906F-77F14A8C2DFB.jpeg So far so good.

Update- Mallow is at his/her new home. I have no idea if it’s male or female. Anyway, Mallow had a bit of new food, some hay, and a new toy in the form of a toilet roll. He keeps putting it in his water dish. I take it out. He puts it back. And he seems to want to get out and look around even though I was going to wait until tomorrow in case he was traumatized. Has no problem with being petted. And one of the cats came in- Mallow only twitched it’s nose. Didn’t react otherwise. The cat meowed and it still seemed pretty relaxed. Went pee in the litter box which I set up per the directions of the person’s website recommended in an earlier post here! The crate it was in before was ridiculously dirty so I put it in a spare really large dog crate for now. View attachment 44312 So far so good.
That's what I bought for chip, he's in the garage in it. Door is open all day, then in for the night..It's great. Is originally for dogs, works great for him too lol
If it's a boy, they're junk isn't unnoticed lol
Glad he/she is getting comfy. Takes a bit for new surroundings... Once settled, the happy bunny you will see in personality that's for sure. He runs and jumps in the air with a side kick, it's hilarious

Latest posts

Back