Adopted and Wondering Mix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
Adopted this girl this month and was curious as to what breeds she might be mixed out of? Is that how it works? Not into breeding or anything like that, but my fiance and I think she looks like she has some French Lop in her, maybe. She's about a year old right now.

iy0v93.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_eFUiuqR0k&feature=youtu.be

I hope that embeds the video--I've looked at the posts on how to do it on here and the answer seems to be 'just put the link and it embeds itself'... If not, sorry. Please click though? I'd like to know what to tell people when they ask what she is, hahahah. Thanks so much.

I honestly have no idea about her weight. I saw that the French Lops get bigger--they can get over 10 pounds right? She's fairly light. But I also think she is fairly underweight (very very VERY bony) definitely weighs less than any three of my cats which are all fairly small... The shelter she was at was for cats and dogs and didn't know much about rabbits. Working on getting some meat on her bones. Will be taking her to a rabbit specialized vet soon after our cats shots are updated, which is tomorrow actually. I originally thought she was more like a Holland Lop like you mentioned until I started looking at French Lops. I'm new to rabbits though, so. Hahah. :)

So I see holland lop in her head for sure. French lops have very big bulldog heads and longer ears. I think I'd be safe to say she isn't a French but maybe in between a holland or mini lop. Her body is pretty big when compared to her head so I see where you think she has size. I'm not sure which she is but again I don't see French. She is super cute though and I agree could use some more pounds on her

Okay. I'm a bit relieved to have people saying she's not part French Lop--I didn't plan for a 'larger' rabbit. Hahah. I see what you mean though. Most likely part Holland instead. And thanks! When I take her to the vet I'll be having them teach me how to trim nails, clean glands, check teeth on my own--and I'll have them give me some tips on how to help her gain some weight. :)

A good diet should help get gain some weight and get in better condition. It can take a month or longer for there to be a lot of change, but gradual change is better than pack on fat.
I would feed a measured amount and not over feed. Assuming she is a Holland Lop mix, about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of pellet per day should be good. Hay and veggies are also good. Don't over do treats and fruit either.
Also keep in mind that weight isn't everything and condition is more important. She might not gain much weight, but could put on muscle and get in better condition.

Looks like a pet quality holland lop. ( She doesn't have the huge head like a holland lop would, the holland lops head is often related to a bull dogs head because it looks like they ran into a wall and there head is huge)

Thanks for all the input everyone. I will work on helping her gain healthy weight and get her to the vet soon for some lessons on claw trimming, etc. The shelter only fed her pellets, carrots, and apples--so transferring her to hay is going slowly (but surely). She's also been getting organic Romaine Lettuce is small amounts daily. <:

I feed no veggies to my rabbits, but this is what I give my Holland Lops. They get 1/2 cup of Kent top show professional pellets a day, they get unlimited amounts of Kaytee orginal(plain) Timothy(despite rumors the hay isn't bad, however other products produced by them aren't good for rabbits, like food with seeds and colorful bits in it or hay with mango pieces, the original hay actually is a really nice quality hay) and I feed them a teaspoon of mint conditioner twice a week. (this is a treat). They also get cheerios and sometimes rolled oats as a treat. Usually I use rolled oat if they have a looser stool. With my water I put a lot of different stuff in it. I get a gallon to store the water (milk jug that has been washed out and sanitized) and I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it (slowly going up to 2 tablespoons) And I put a teaspoon of extra minerals in the water.

The extra stuff I give my rabbits isn't necessary for a pet but I give it to my rabbits to keep them in good condition and to make sure they are getting all the nutrients and minerals they need. If you aren't giving a lot of veggies you need to give more pellets because she isn't getting the nutrients she would be getting from getting a normal amount of veggies she would need a day. You also aren't giving her a lot of hay so she isn't getting all the fiber she should be getting. This is the proper percentages your feed should have>>
Protein- 14--20% ideal amount 16-18%, Fiber- 12--22%, sources say the higher the better, around 18% is ideal, Calcium- less than 1%, Fat in your feed should not exceed 3%.

I would give her 1/2 cup of pellets because she doesn't really have any other source of calories coming in. As you increase the amount of veggies decrease the amount of pellets. For veggies you feed 1 cup per every 2 pounds of body weight. I also would start giving her more hay, it's important they always have hay because it keeps there gut moving, it more important with rabbits that have longer fur(wool) or rabbits that are molting.

I was actually thinking a holland/mini cross. It has the right size for a mini but the wrong head.

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I feed no veggies to my rabbits, but this is what I give my Holland Lops. They get 1/2 cup of Kent top show professional pellets a day, they get unlimited amounts of Kaytee orginal(plain) Timothy(despite rumors the hay isn't bad, however other products produced by them aren't good for rabbits, like food with seeds and colorful bits in it or hay with mango pieces, the original hay actually is a really nice quality hay) and I feed them a teaspoon of mint conditioner twice a week. (this is a treat). They also get cheerios and sometimes rolled oats as a treat. Usually I use rolled oat if they have a looser stool. With my water I put a lot of different stuff in it. I get a gallon to store the water (milk jug that has been washed out and sanitized) and I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it (slowly going up to 2 tablespoons) And I put a teaspoon of extra minerals in the water.

The extra stuff I give my rabbits isn't necessary for a pet but I give it to my rabbits to keep them in good condition and to make sure they are getting all the nutrients and minerals they need. If you aren't giving a lot of veggies you need to give more pellets because she isn't getting the nutrients she would be getting from getting a normal amount of veggies she would need a day. You also aren't giving her a lot of hay so she isn't getting all the fiber she should be getting. This is the proper percentages your feed should have>>
Protein- 14--20% ideal amount 16-18%, Fiber- 12--22%, sources say the higher the better, around 18% is ideal, Calcium- less than 1%, Fat in your feed should not exceed 3%.

I would give her 1/2 cup of pellets because she doesn't really have any other source of calories coming in. As you increase the amount of veggies decrease the amount of pellets. For veggies you feed 1 cup per every 2 pounds of body weight. I also would start giving her more hay, it's important they always have hay because it keeps there gut moving, it more important with rabbits that have longer fur(wool) or rabbits that are molting.

Sounds like you take absolutely perfect care of your buns! Very helpful.

She's been getting pellets daily, along with 2-3 leafs of Romaine Lettuce daily (the more I feed her, the messier her stool is. I'm trying to slowly introduce veggies into her diet because the shelter ONLY fed her pellets and carrots for treats). There is an abundance of Timothy Hay in her cage all the time, but she just today started eating some of it since I put it in her litterpan as opposed to just the toys and feeder. I even tried ripping it up and putting it with her pellets--she just ate around it. I may get some Alfalfa to mix it with since she adors the Alfalfa chew blocks the shelter had been giving her. I also have no idea how much she weighs, I will be taking her to a vet soon for a check up, diet suggestions, and a lesson on trimming her claws. So. Looking forward to that!

Thanks so much for the help. :)

Sounds like you take absolutely perfect care of your buns! Very helpful.

She's been getting pellets daily, along with 2-3 leafs of Romaine Lettuce daily (the more I feed her, the messier her stool is. I'm trying to slowly introduce veggies into her diet because the shelter ONLY fed her pellets and carrots for treats). There is an abundance of Timothy Hay in her cage all the time, but she just today started eating some of it since I put it in her litterpan as opposed to just the toys and feeder. I even tried ripping it up and putting it with her pellets--she just ate around it. I may get some Alfalfa to mix it with since she adors the Alfalfa chew blocks the shelter had been giving her. I also have no idea how much she weighs, I will be taking her to a vet soon for a check up, diet suggestions, and a lesson on trimming her claws. So. Looking forward to that!

Thanks so much for the help. :)

Glad I could help! Its the normal diet for my rabbits lol:) For her looser stool rolled oats are amazing! They are a starchy food so it makes the poop back to normal right away. For her hay if she like the cubes try finding timothy hay cubes and slowly start weaning her off by giving her a full cube in a dish of hay and then half a cube and the pieces of the cube until all she has left in the bowl is her hay. Having the bowl with the cube in it will tell her where she can get her cubes of hay so once you wean her off of the cube she will know that is where she goes to eat her hay. After she begins eating the hay you can give her a cube in her dish every so often to reward her for eating her hay, eventually you can probably consider the cubes a treat.
Haha trimming the nails is actually quite simple! I am usually alone when I clip my rabbits nails (I don't recommend this until you have experience) and I put the rabbit in between my legs to give the rabbit support. They usually will not go into trance mode unless you "put" them in it. If one of mine is struggling I will begin to rub is head around it eyes and checks(fur parts only) and you will eventually feel the rabbit relax. Then you can safely cut the nails. You just have to make sure you don't get the quick and you have to remember not to keep the rabbit on it backs for a long period of time as that isn't good for the rabbits health. If you do cut the rabbits quick, you can use cornstarch or bag balm to help stop the nail from bleeding.

Have fun at your vet appointment! I'm sure they will lead you in the right direction for proper diet and care of your rabbit but im positive your rabbit is already in great hands and care:)

Latest posts

Back