adopted a pregnant bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollo4441000

Reaction score
hey guys, so I was looking to adopt a bunny and at the RSPCA I was talking to one of the staff and they showed me a flemish giant called cookie who I ended up adopting and she's amazing, they did tell me she hasnt been spayed yet and when they were telling me more about her, they did say she is pregnant, and I still went ahead with the adoption, and they told me that she came with another bunny, a netherland dwarf called buzz, who was an un-neutered male and they were obviously friends so I was just wondering is it safe for a male dwarf rabbit and a female giant rabbit to breed?
I have reserved Buzz after he has healed after his surgery so that they can still be with each other

before I get any hate, I do have the space and time to deal with a bunch of baby rabbits and I know what I'm getting myself into and when the babies are weaned I am going to get her spayed

Flemish giant and Netherland dwarf what a pair :)) As far as I know it is important that male is not bigger than female so her babies are not too big for her. I am dying to see your babies must be interesting mix, hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I see lots of posts and adverts for flemmies lately and they look so cool I feel I want one unfortunately I already have too many rabbits!

Better a male dwarf and female giant than a female dwarf a male giant. Dwarfs can have a lot of difficulties in birth, while flemish giants usually don't have any.

Do be careful though - a lot of "flemish giants" at rescues aren't really flemish. They tend to adopt them out easier by calling any large-ish rabbit a flemish, or if they aren't a rabbit-specific rescue often don't know any better and call any large rabbit a flemish. Especially if you are outside of the US - in the UK flemish giants are a relatively rare breed different from the flemish in the US which are more common (the UK has another breed of giant rabbit, Continental Giant, which is a bit more common and looks more like the Flemish Giant you see in the US, as the UK flemish giants are a bit smaller and have unique coloring)

Make sure that you don't keep a pregnant female and intact male together, the female can breed and get pregnant again immediately after giving birth.

Please post pictures of the babies when they are born and as they grow up. I have always wanted to see what this would look like!

Latest posts

Back