Adopted 2nd rabbit - original rabbit not using litter box anymore

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have had our female spayed dwarf rabbit Lola for 9 years. She used to use her litter box 99% of the time. Recently we adopted a senior neutered male rabbit named Norm. They are about the same age. We have their areas right next to each other separated by a mesh door. The goal was to bond them together. We were doing rabbit dates for the first month or so but they really never bonded. So for now we are ok with them just co-existing. Problem is Lola appears to be marking her territory by urinating and pooping right by the divider mesh door. She has been to the vet and is healthy. Not sure what to do? Thinking of trying the dates again on a more aggressive schedule? Anybody else have any other ideas?

Today we separated them in individual cages so we could clean the rabbit area. And I made sure Norm was out of sight of Lola. Not more than 1/2 hour of being in a clean cage with fresh litter she urinated right by her water dish. Made sure she had plenty of fresh hay right by her litter box. Urine is a medium yellow color. Going to make an appointment with the vet. Besides a UTI, what else can rabbits get that would cause this issue?

Another rabbit around? Rabbits can be territorial, even spayed ones - for example my girl fiercly attacks any rabbit except her mate, even kits, that accidentially get into her front yard. And litter habits are connected to that. And they are social animals, another rabbit around can be exiting. And they aren't especially fond of changes.

I would have put a litterbox where she used to pee and poop in the first place., like one of those big, low under bed storage boxes.

How was bonding tried and how did it not work out?

If she's picking specific spots to consistently urinate and poop, this is most likely not health related but due to territorial marking. You could try the dates again. Getting them bonded is one way to get the marking behavior to settle down. You can also put more litter boxes in her area. You could try placing a litter box in the areas where she is consistently marking.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
Unusual pee accidents can be health related, especially in an older rabbit. If the spots are just in random areas, and/or she is getting a urine soaked bum, then it could very well be health related. UTI is one cause; also bladder sludge, e. cuniculi, kidney problems, uterine cancer, loss of bladder control, arthritis/spondylosis, spinal injury.

Medirabbit: causes of urinary incontinence

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html
Arthritis is a very common cause of pee accidents occurring in older rabbits. They get stiff and sore, and it can be difficult for them to get to the litter box in time, and also hop over the edge. Twice daily meloxicam(only with no kidney issues) and joint supplements can help. Also providing a low sided litter box.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Arthritis
Medirabbit: arthritis in rabbits

How was bonding tried and how did it not work out?

We followed what the shelter said to do. Put them together in a roughly 6 foot circle with a person in there. Try to pet both rabbits at the same time. Look for any signs of aggression and break it up immediately. We kind of got laxed with the dates but are going to try again daily.

Lola has been getting a higher than normal amount of carrot tops. My parents always bring them over after they give the carrots to their horses. Did not know a high amount is bad for rabbits. She is going to the vet tomorrow.

You can put a large litterbox along the pen wall so it already smells of the rabbit, mitigating the need for marking so consistently. Though it sounds like you do not have intentions to try and bond again, having litterboxes side by side against the pen divider can be a nice way to facilitate proximity (i.e., when they both decide to eat in their respective litterboxes, they will be next to each other).

We have a four-year old spayed doe who had perfect litter habits. Then, we adopted a young Flemish Giant and put him in the room next to hers; there is a gate in between.

Immediately, the doe started peeing and pooping outside the gate; so, we gave her another litter box by the gate. She is very good at using it, now; but, every now and then she will pee on the floor outside the gate.

I've always said that if a bunny loses its good litter habits, there is usually another rabbit involved.

We have two bonded pairs in separate quarters in our basement. Each pair is allowed to free roam on alternate days. I had to give each of them a new litter box outside the other pair's fence because they'd go on the floor, otherwise.

Most of my bunnies have started “pee wars” next to the fence that separates them from another rabbit. I put down pee pads cut in half so it's easier to clean. Once in a while somebun thinks it's cute to dig up and shred the pee pad, but mostly they just use them as intended. It beats having to throw away carpet remnants all the time! Of course, you have to make sure the bunny doesn't eat the pee pad.

Latest posts

Back