adding vanilla extract to water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recycling goddess

Reaction score
many of you may know that adding vanilla extract to the water of mice and ratties greatly reduced the smell of their urine.

does this work for bunnies too? if so... how much would you add?

i add a few drops to the water bottles with mice and ratties (when i had mice years ago)... would you just add the same for bunnies?

Yes i'vereadit does work for bunnies as well,i've never tried it though

I think your supposed to just put enough in to discolour the water a bit

cheryl

I use the imitation vanilla...works GREAT!! :D

We also put it in the cats' water...works nicely there, too! :D

I totally recommend it. :thumbup

Has anyone had any problems with them drinking less? Poppy can be a bit fussy, especially with her water. She won't drink out of a bottle, and she only drinks water when I first put it in. Silly girl.

Spring wrote:
Has anyone had any problems with them drinking less? Poppycan be a bit fussy, especially with her water. She won't drink out of abottle, and she only drinks water when I first put it in. Sillygirl.
I've been trying the vanilla lately myself. I started as a way to try to get Harper to drink more, because he barely drinks. Seemed to work great and he began to drink a lot more. I did notice, however, that JJ drank less after adding the vanilla. He must not like the flavor, silly boy.

it seems to me that bunny doesnt much like it either.. he didnt drink much water the day after i put it in but when i put a bowl of fresh water down for him today otside of his cage he drank a ton.. not sure if i will try it again or not..

I use bio-odor and it works just fine.Infact, I think Mufasa perfers it that way, cause when I don't add it,he drinks less water...it's odd.

Another thought...for you guys who's bunnies do/do not like vanilla...have you tried natural (or imitation in the case that you've tried natural)?

I'm wondering if the buns prefer either side more than the other. Never know...bunnies can be so finicky about things. :)

Blyre wrote:
Adding vanilla to the water also is supposed to reduce the risk of fly strike.

Wallace

ohhhhhhhhhh i'm in! so trying that plus i hate it when she does smelly wiz ;)

Latest posts

Back