Adding in veggies, can you help me out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, well, I have 5 rabbits 3 mixed breeds and two holland lops. I was wondering about adding in vegetables to their diets along with having their pellets, I've read that they don't get all the nutrients that they need from pellets alone. I cut up a slice of apple the other day and fed them each a little piece (no bigger than my thumb, and my thumb isn't very big) and only two of them liked it. I had some left over celery from my breakfast and looked up whether rabbits could eat them (I was pretty sure they could but better safe than sorry) and so I cut them each a piece a little smaller than my thumb and all but 2 liked it. Well to get down to it I would like to start adding veggies into their diets but I don't know which ones to put it, I have looked up ones they can eat and ones that are harmful, and they only get fruits as a treat every once in a while. If someone could help me by maybe pointing out some vegetables I should try that would really be a help :D

Parsley & cilantro. I've never had a rabbit NOT like at least one of those((in over 30 rabbits)). :) Romaine lettuce has never been turned away by any of my rabbits, unless there's medicine on it. :p

I have a rabbit on an only-hay-and-veggies diet, and he gets the above plus mustard greens and broccoli. I have seven rabbits so at least one will always like whatever I buy so I don't worry, and since you have five it'd probably be the same for you. Not all rabbits will like every vegetable or fruit, you'll just have to try things out and maybe make a list of who likes what. :)

Thank you so much! :) Thats a huge help, I have one rabbit that will eat anything I give her, and I have a rabbit who only likes bananas! (I have only tried to feed him a piece of apple, celery, and parsley and he wont eat any of them!) Lol, well thank you so much again :D

Both Scone (RIP) and Natasha love kale and broccoli. I had to stop both of them late in Scone's life when he became sensitive to them (broccoli can cause gas, and kale was too high in calcium when he started getting kidney calicification). Natasha gets kale for dinner frequently, and she loves a broccoli floret or two as a bedtime snack.

Dandelion greens were accepted, but I find they go bad too quickly. Parsley, especially the curly sort, is a favorite, too.

Scone liked cilantro for a long time, then all of a sudden one day I offered some to him - he sniffed, jumped back with an offended look, and ran away. He wouldn't touch cilantro ever again. Go figure.

Scone liked Bok Choy and Rabe - I haven't tried them with Natasha yet.

Latest posts

Back