Addiction to upgrading my bunnys home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
We've only had Reddit for about a month. We started off with a prefab metal cage which we thought would be fine for a good amount of time. We didn't expect her to be growing as fast as she is. This is the setup for her original cage
968e4d99.jpg

Once she started growing we realized that her cage was going to be way to small soon. So we simply added another prefab cage on top of the old one and added some levels so she could hop. This is what the second addition looked like
7c397d61.jpg

I swear I have an addiction to upgrading her home. I went back out today and bought one more cage (because we are highly considering adding another bunn). Her cage is now 4.5 feet high with the sides being 2 feet x 2 feet. It has 5 levels including the bottom. I moved some of her stuff around so each level has a purpose (she's not too happy with me at the moment). Also I've noticed that the wire for flooring was hurting her tootsies so I had the idea to cut up a yoga mat I never use anymore for flooring. I'm still waiting to see if shes going to chew on it and if she does I'll pull it out but so far so good. I also cut the top of the cage in half and added a swinging door so we could get her out of the top level if shes deciding to be stubborn.
IMAG0222.jpg

First floor with her litter box, water bottle and bed
IMAG0224.jpg

Second floor with her pellets and hanging toys
IMAG0225.jpg

Third floor with her overstuffed bed. I just overlayed a shoebox with a fleece blanket
IMAG0226.jpg

Fourth floor with her hide-a-den and wood toys
IMAG0227-1.jpg

And top floor with her hay and greens
IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

Don't know what I'll do next. Can't go any higher, I wouldn't do that to Reddit. For now, I hope she be happier in her new, more spacious home

Looks nice! The only thing I'd do is go a bit longer, instead of higher. That way she can hop around a bit more. And the feeder with the pellets would hang better if you cut a hole out of the cage the size of the part they eat out of. Then hang it on the outside of the cage, with just the trough part on the inside. It frees up some floor space, and it's actually made to hang that way. Nice job!

I agree with Wendy mac, next improvement should be making the base bigger.

While a tall cage would be perfect for a pair of rats or ferrets, rabbits should be able to hop at least three times in their cage. While I'm not too worried about exercise since she's hopping the levels, buns aren't really natural climbers.

I'm so excited to see what you come out with next.

Looking good. It didn't take me long when I first got Becky to realise the cage I bought wasn't going to be big enough either. At this point the kids (ok, now there are 4 buns) use the cage as a place to relax at different heights, but I use a fence to give them a room. There's more space for zoomies that way. :)

I agree that a whole carrot is too large and you might want to add more hay. At least mine go through a lot more hay than that a day.

You might want to try adding more toys. Baby rattles are cheap but they love it! There's something so exciting to a bun to make as much noise as possible when they play :)

She only ended up getting about 1/3 of that carrot. Poor thing was traumatized. It took 4 hours to put her cage back to her normal home. Normally she'll only get a baby carrot or two every couple of days

I can't make her cage wider until at least february, but she's let out of her cage daily for about 2 hours while we can keep total eye on her. she has about 20 feet of flooring to do her little hops and mid air seizures

Hi. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't feel like I was criticizing your efforts. This is a great bunny cage and a lot more space than many get. I was just trying to help with ideas for future expantion. :)

Glad that the carrots are measured out, some people go a bit wild. When I was a kid I would give whole carrots to my rabbits thinking it was good for them. Oh well, live and learn. I volunteer at my local SPCA and the buns there were getting a whole handful of baby carrots every day! :shocked: Needless to say, if they spent much time they got very fat and there were many cases of poopy butt. Things are better now.

very nice! I couldnt build something like that if my life depended on it! i'm the furthest thing away from crafty there is. If i can buy it, i will. LOL!

Latest posts

Back