Acting off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miffythebun

Reaction score
This is a bit of a weird one sorry!
So my bunny sometimes goes through stages where he just doesn’t want to eat. I have taken him to the vets before and they’ve given me critical care and medicine and then he just eats again- like he’s being stubborn!!! For the past three(ish) days he hasn’t eaten his pellets (I give him a small handful of exel with mint pellets) which has been fine as he was eating his greens and hay as normal but last night and today he won’t even eat that. I’ve given him loads to try and the only thing he will eat is cardboard (he’s always loved eating this?!?) a little bit of hay and grass. I gave him carrot tops (his usual favourite), rocket, cauliflower leaves, mint and rosemary and he just won’t eat it.
He’s also acting strange in general, he usually hops up on our bed for strokes and runs around our feet in the morning for food and is bouncy and playful but at the moment he’s just sat under the bed and flopping and not wanting to play or eat. He just seems grumpy.
he is neutered and nearly 2 years old. I’m back at my mums house to isolate (he’s been here multiple times too and we’ve been here for months now!) but my sisters rabbit is in another room if that is making a difference? She isn’t neutered so can’t have them in together but they have runs outside that are next to each other for the occasional company.
Any help appreciated and obviously I know that if he stops eating completely I must force feed and take to vets!

So my bunny sometimes goes through stages where he just doesn’t want to eat. I have taken him to the vets before and they’ve given me critical care and medicine and then he just eats again- like he’s being stubborn!!! For the past three(ish) days he hasn’t eaten his pellets (I give him a small handful of exel with mint pellets) which has been fine as he was eating his greens and hay as normal but last night and today he won’t even eat that. I’ve given him loads to try and the only thing he will eat is cardboard (he’s always loved eating this?!?) a little bit of hay and grass. I gave him carrot tops (his usual favourite), rocket, cauliflower leaves, mint and rosemary and he just won’t eat it.
He’s also acting strange in general, he usually hops up on our bed for strokes and runs around our feet in the morning for food and is bouncy and playful but at the moment he’s just sat under the bed and flopping and not wanting to play or eat. He just seems grumpy.
he is neutered and nearly 2 years old. I’m back at my mums house to isolate (he’s been here multiple times too and we’ve been here for months now!) but my sisters rabbit is in another room if that is making a difference? She isn’t neutered so can’t have them in together but they have runs outside that are next to each other for the occasional company.
Any help appreciated and obviously I know that if he stops eating completely I must force feed and take to vets!
[/QUOTE
My bun kept doing that , and i've worked out what it is , lettuce and might be something else , i will be able to help , well i will try.
Has he been showing signs of pain ?
Any small , misshaped or odd poops ?
Any changes to diet , recently ?
Signs of gas ?
You could try either picking grass if its too cold or hot , otherwise let out to graze on grass to see if he
eats it .
When my bun was like this she would go through stages of not eating and eating, after having gas treatment
it went for a few hours , like 12 but came back .

Has there been any stress lately ?
My bun gets this when she gets fed lettuce , so i've cutting it out of her diet .

I hope to help you !

My bun kept doing that , and i've worked out what it is , lettuce and might be something else , i will be able to help , well i will try.
Has he been showing signs of pain ?
Any small , misshaped or odd poops ?
Any changes to diet , recently ?
Signs of gas ?
You could try either picking grass if its too cold or hot , otherwise let out to graze on grass to see if he
eats it .
When my bun was like this she would go through stages of not eating and eating, after having gas treatment
it went for a few hours , like 12 but came back .

Has there been any stress lately ?
My bun gets this when she gets fed lettuce , so i've cutting it out of her diet .

I hope to help you !

Hi, thank you for your reply!
I’ve just moved my bun outside and he’s been running about happily and munching on a small amount of grass but now he’s just layed down again.:( no stress or changes to his diet, teeth look normal too.i don’t give my bun any lettuce, he normally has A mix of herbs, baby leaf greens and spinach!

I’ve just moved my bun outside and he’s been running about happily and munching on a small amount of grass but now he’s just layed down again.:( no stress or changes to his diet, teeth look normal too.i don’t give my bun any lettuce, he normally has A mix of herbs, baby leaf greens and spinach!
Okay , just how jasmine acts , she seemed to relax and eat then get stressed or uncomfortable.

I'm not sure , but is he showing any signs like pressing stomach or gurgling / loud stomach noises , teeth grinding .
My bunnie didn't show many signs other than drop in temprature , stomach noise and teeth grinding , not eating and weird poops .

Any small poops ?

Not having an appetite for food is typical signs of GI stasis, if he’s not eating normal. Then you should start to massage the stomach and feel how the stomach feel like. Do it feel bloated or hard?

Because gas problems is also quite common.

How have he been eating and drinking today, have he only munched a little on grass?

If you have any simethicone (baby gas drops) give it to your bunny and massage his stomach. If he still not eating normal, start to syringe feed. So he get food and water in his system and help keep his stomach moving.

Also when you went to the vet did they look at his teeth specially his molars. Selective eating can be caused by spurs growing on the molar and will hurt if he eat certain way. Sometimes it can be hard seeing the teeth and might need x-ray to get a proper picture.

Yeah ,sorry i forgot to mention that but i thoguht ' they probably know , and the vet probably checked them'
It's 1ml once an hour for 3 hours , a fourth if needed for the simethicone

Not having an appetite for food is typical signs of GI stasis, if he’s not eating normal. Then you should start to massage the stomach and feel how the stomach feel like. Do it feel bloated or hard?

How have he been eating and drinking today, have he only munched a little on grass?

If you have any simethicone (baby gas drops) give it to your bunny and massage his stomach. If he still not eating normal, start to syringe feed. So he get food and water in his system and help keep his stomach moving.

Also when you went to the vet did they look at his teeth specially his molars. Selective eating can be caused by spurs growing on the molar and will hurt if he eat certain way. Sometimes it can be hard seeing the teeth and might need x-ray to get a proper picture.
It

I have considered it being GI and have been keeping a keen eye on him today. He’s eaten a little bit of cauliflower leaf and quite a bit of grass and I’ve bought him a load of foraging foods and treats coming tomorrow and am encouraging to eat every hour or so. his poop is very small and I haven’t seen him drink. He started grinding his teeth a moment ago after eating and I could hear his stomach gurgling. I keep massaging his stomach as much as possible and it feels normal.

I have taken the decision to take him to the vets tomorrow if there’s no improvement through the night. It’s really difficult to make this decision during this time as I can’t drive and its only one person in the vets for an emergency at a time so it’s very difficult :(

I'm not sure , but is he showing any signs like pressing stomach or gurgling / loud stomach noises , teeth grinding .
My bunnie didn't show many signs other than drop in temprature , stomach noise and teeth grinding , not eating and weird poops .
Interesting that your bun has the same problems! I hope your buns all okay! I think I’m going to phone the vets tomororw thank you for all your help x

It

I have considered it being GI and have been keeping a keen eye on him today. He’s eaten a little bit of cauliflower leaf and quite a bit of grass and I’ve bought him a load of foraging foods and treats coming tomorrow and am encouraging to eat every hour or so. his poop is very small and I haven’t seen him drink. He started grinding his teeth a moment ago after eating and I could hear his stomach gurgling. I keep massaging his stomach as much as possible and it feels normal.

I have taken the decision to take him to the vets tomorrow if there’s no improvement through the night. It’s really difficult to make this decision during this time as I can’t drive and its only one person in the vets for an emergency at a time so it’s very difficult :(
Have you got baby gas drops and can you syringe water?

Also go easy on the treats and what's in them?

It

Gurgling sound can be gas, it can help a bit giving baby gas drops until you can take him to the vet. I hope he will turn for the better.

Gurgling sound can be gas, it can help a bit giving baby gas drops until you can take him to the vet. I hope he will turn for the better.
I don’t have any no:( I’ll try and find some online!

I don’t have any no:( I’ll try and find some online!
You can make gripe water brewing some fennel seeds, it works same as baby gas drops and you can also add some mint to it if you want, but no sugar or sweeteners or honey, just boiled water and fennel seeds, let set for 10 mins and filter. Dill seeds would work as well.

Before you take any advice from an internet forum please do some google search at least as you never know if people advising have any real experience or they just like advising other people! Wait until there are more opinions on your topic from different members! Stay safe!

You can make gripe water brewing some fennel seeds, it works same as baby gas drops and you can also add some mint to it if you want, but no sugar or sweeteners or honey, just boiled water and fennel seeds, let set for 10 mins and filter. Dill seeds would work as well.

Before you take any advice from an internet forum please do some google search at least as you never know if people advising have any real experience or they just like advising other people! Wait until there are more opinions on your topic from different members! Stay safe!
I would never do anything that I deemed unsafe for my rabbit or give him anything new without through research and or vet advice but thank you for the concern and thank you for your advice :)

Latest posts

Back