Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miffythebun

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my bun travels around with me quite a bit (he has stayed between me and boyfriends houses at uni and back home and travels about once a month tops) he's always been okay with travelling (he flops in the car and eats and drinks through the journeys which are only 1-2 hours long) and he’s always adjusted well to being in different places (never stops eating or drinking or acts stressed or scared) In October however my boyfriend moved into a new flat and built a cage for Wookiee under his bed and he is just acting so weird while he’s here. He’s eating, drinking, pooping ect fine but just won’t come out for snuggles as much and is much more skittish and unfriendly and I don’t know why!!! We took him back home over Christmas and took his cage and had it under the bed and he was back to normal there! Came out all the time and was friendly and playful and cuddly! We don’t know why he won’t settle in the new flat like he always has done? The floor is laminate but he’s used to being on floor boards and he has a blanket laid out in his cage! He can come out of his cage any time he wants but just chooses to be anti social unless he hears his food bag being rustled in which he’ll run out, grab a treat or wait for his food to be in his bowl and run back in!
Any tips or any ideas why he’s being so moody? Just want my snuggle bun back!!

Maybe he’s super nervous because he doesn’t smell either of you in the house since it is recent. You could try putting a small carpet nearby. My rabbits will only walk on wood floors if they see a carpet a nearby as a potential landing area. Have you tried putting lots of toys and his favorite foods around the apartment? Were there other animals in the house before? He could be smelling them as well

Maybe he’s super nervous because he doesn’t smell either of you in the house since it is recent. You could try putting a small carpet nearby. My rabbits will only walk on wood floors if they see a carpet a nearby as a potential landing area. Have you tried putting lots of toys and his favorite foods around the apartment? Were there other animals in the house before? He could be smelling them as well

Thanks for your suggestions! :D
The house is a new build, we’re the first and only people that have lived there but it is an apartment so shouldn’t be any weird smells and should smell like us now it’s been a while - the cage has a blanket down and there is a rug in one room- maybe I’ll put another down! Lots of toys and his teddy’s around!

I would say it's either the lino that makes him nervous because he doesn't have good footing(it's more slippery than wood), or there are odd smells or sounds that you don't realize but your bun does because he has a more acute sense of smell and hearing. Weird smells can include off gassing that occurs with the chemicals used in new build products(eg. glues).

Latest posts

Back