Acquiring a Rabbit to Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
Well I have ordered the ARBA Standard of Perfection and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I never really understood how rabbits get "registered" to show and whatnot, so hopefully I can get some things cleared up.

A while back at my local feed store I saw two Dutch babies, I don't know if anyone remembers that. Well they are both still there, they are about 5 months old now. So, let's just create a scenario, after understanding the Standard for Dutches, could I go back to the feed store, take them out, get to know them and inspect them, and if I think they seem to line up with the standard, could I get them and show them? Well, firstly is it even likely that one of these bunnies would be show quality? Or is it almost certain that I'll have to get one from a show breeder? And second, if I were to get a rabbit just from my local feed store, could I even show it? I seem to recall some of you saying that even rescues could be shown as long as they fit their standard. But are there any restrictions? Like in dogs, if they don't come from a registered litter and weren't registered individually by 6 months they have restrictions and can only be shown in "companion" events (such as agility) and can't actually be shown in the breed ring towards a championship. Just wondering if there are any restrictions on rabbits that don't come from... breeders I suppose! lol

Thank you for any help!! :)

There are two restrictions on showing rabbits. One is that the rabbit has to fit the standard for its breed. The second is that the rabbit has to be tattooed in the left ear to be shown. You can usually get someone at a show to tattoo it for a small fee.

Sharon

A rabbit can be shown without any sort of pedigree behind it. For example - I once picked up a chestnut lionhead doe at the local feedstore without a pedigree because she was GORGEOUS according to show standards (I used to breed lionheads).

The problem you will face though - I think - without a pedigree is that you can not "register" the rabbit and become a grand champion, etc....which means that even if you win "legs" by winning various shows, etc - your rabbit can not become a registered grand champion.

Now here are my thoughts as a former breeder. I would not just buy a "show quality" rabbit - but I would first think about what breed you are most interested in (or maybe two breeds). Perhaps you could visit different breeders in your area and handle various bunnies - or attend a show in your area and look at bunnies there.

Once you have picked out a breed that you would like - then see if a breeder will take you under their wing and explain the standard for that breed to you. Let them know right off that you want a SHOW QUALITY rabbit (and make sure to study your ARBA book so you are aware of the immediate disqualifications for showing). Make sure if you buy a rabbit that you get a pedigree if you plan to register the rabbit, etc.

You may want to go to www.arba.net and look for upcoming shows in your area. In fact - here is the link:

http://www.arba.net/Shows.php

You do not need to be a member of ARBA to show rabbits at shows - unless it is the National ARBA show I think....but I think you may have to be an ARBA member to register a rabbit - that I am not sure about.

Good luck with finding a rabbit that you'll enjoy not only showing - but living with and loving too!

They have given you great advice choosing a breed can be hard and I think its worth chatting to breeders and getting to know the pro's and cons of the breed too.
Sharon (Starlight) would be a good person to talk to about raising dutch if that is a breed you fancy doing also here is the link to the breed library that gives you some info about dutch as well :)
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15624&forum_id=18

Oh yes Sharon is the greatest when it comes to questions, and Pam too. I do raise Dutch but I'm still learning about them too. I'm just branching out in colors from Blue and Tort to now steel and possibly grays eventually. It's soo weird and entertaining raising the dutch.

Thank you everyone! I have selected a few breeds that I am mostly interested in. The only breed I have owned are Mini Rexes and I would definitely not mind owning them again. Some others I've come up with are Dutches (obviously), Holland Lops, and Mini Lops. So I've done some looking around. I have also been planning to attend a show that is actually coming up this weekend. I'm really hoping I can still attend as there don't seem to be many in my area, but I'm finishing up my junior year in high school so its still kinda iffy.

But my biggest question was just really about finding a show quality rabbit in a store or something. But I have gathered it is possible, that I should just know and understand the Standard of Perfection before checking them out. And ultimately they will be loved companions :)

You can attend some shows, talk to breeders and have the judges evaluate some rabbits for you. Most judges don't mind taking a look at a rabbit for you before the show or during a break between judging breeds.

Pam

You can take a non-entered rabbit to many, but not all shows. Many fairs and conventions require the rabbit to be entered to be in the showroom. The rules are stated in the show catalog.

Pam

Thank you so much for your help, Pam and everybody! I got the Standard of Perfection in the mail today! So that leads me to another question. (Tired of me yet? :p) But basically, the faults it lists, those don't neccessarily diqualify the rabbit from competition right? Like for Dutch rabbits it lists all these faults and then under actual disqualifications it only has three. Am I reading this correctly? Thanks again!

That is correct.

Dutch can be DQed for split stops, color running past the elbow joint, the stop going past the hock and also all the general ARBA DQs too.

With Dutch, you also want to watch out for freckles near the nose and mouth and also eye spots.

Sharon

tori wrote:
But my biggest question was just really about finding a show quality rabbit in a store or something. But I have gathered it is possible, that I should just know and understand the Standard of Perfection before checking them out.

LIke you said, it possible to find a show quailty rabbit in a pet or feed store, but your odds are going to be kinda slim. Most times the ones you find for sale in the feed stores and such are ones that the breeders have decided are not good enough for breeding or showing for their own purposes.

As to your last question, there are of course faults that won't disqualify a rabbit from the show, but of course you want to pick a rabbit to show that has as few faults as possible. One thing to think of when picking your breed, is that some will be harder to show. For example, some like the English Spot have to have certain markings to show. I think the Dutch are that way too, but I have never shown them so I am not sure.

yep, most all of my dutch have some kind of faults, but it doesn't rule them off the table in DQ. One of my blue does has very long stops, but not DQ-able, another has a run in her undercut and uneven stops. Of coarse their babies look nice. . . If you were closer to upstate NY, I would say you could come take a look at my blue/black and steel babies, my blues show the most promise right now.

Aww, I wish I could Blaze. Thank you all once again for your wonderful help. I just needed some clarification on this because I wouldn't necessarily be getting an amazing rabbit, just one to get my feet wet and have some fun with. I'll just be happy to have a bun again! :hyper:

Latest posts

Back