Accidental squeezed his paw in the door

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Today Odin got his left paw squeezed by the door, when my mom closed the door.

During the morning Odin was just jumping with 3 paws but after getting home from uni he’s using the paw. But if you touch the paw he will try to escape from you.

How big is the chance he fractured the front paw? I will call the vet tomorrow and fix a time for Odin.

I’m just stressing over the cost when the insurance will first start next month because the bunnies are in a testing period. This year was the time to renew the insurance, so the bunnies have a waiting period, it will end first october. Which totally make me feel down because just one x-ray will cost 500$, that will just be an x-ray while the examination will also cost money 😅

This is how I spend my money that I manage to save up again.

No way to know without taking a close look at it. If it's a clean break you would be able to tell because the toe would hang loose and not move correctly.

If it's not a visibly noticeable break, I would give it a couple days, provided bun is still eating normally. If I had meloxicam for my bun I would give a dose, if necessary checking with vet that it's ok . If it's just minor bruising then bun should be walking pretty normally after a few days. If your bun is putting weight on the foot, I would doubt it's a break.

If he's not putting weight and isn't better after a few days, or you can visibly see it's broken , vet. But even then not sure what your vet would want to do. Front toe fractures can be tricky to splint. The whole leg would need to be splinted and some rabbits can really struggle to get around with it splinted. Some vets opt for no splinting. Not sure that xrays would be necessary. I don't see that xrays would alter treatment options. If your bun is still limping after a few days, then it's either splint or don't splint. Plus anti inflammatories.

No way to know without taking a close look at it. If it's a clean break you would be able to tell because the toe would hang loose and not move correctly.

If it's not a visibly noticeable break, I would give it a couple days, provided bun is still eating normally. If I had meloxicam for my bun I would give a dose, if necessary checking with vet that it's ok . If it's just minor bruising then bun should be walking pretty normally after a few days. If your bun is putting weight on the foot, I would doubt it's a break.

If he's not putting weight and isn't better after a few days, or you can visibly see it's broken , vet. But even then not sure what your vet would want to do. Front toe fractures can be tricky to splint. The whole leg would need to be splinted and some rabbits can really struggle to get around with it splinted. Some vets opt for no splinting. Not sure that xrays would be necessary. I don't see that xrays would alter treatment options. If your bun is still limping after a few days, then it's either splint or don't splint. Plus anti inflammatories.

Thanks for the answer JBun, Odin is using his leg more and running around with full speed. He have a tiny limp that is barely noticeable but he seem to not care when moving around. It’s not a clean break but his paw seem to be a bit sore. So maybe it just a sore paw that will need a bit of time to heal.

I’ll just wait and see, everyone in the house is trying to avoid him when moving around. While himself is still a clingy bunny in the kitchen.

He still have a huge appetite for food and begging for his treats in the kitchen. He run fast when we drop the food in the kitchen.

I accidentally drove over his back paw with my computer chair while sitting on the chair, right now.

He’s shaking his back paw but I put him in the litter box, so he’s eating hay now. His back paw is a bit sore and don’t accept touching.

The front paw is all good but now I need to worry about the back paw. I feel like a bad owner 😣

This have totally not been Odins week or mine. I hope he didn’t hurt his back leg 😭

Is Odin okay? Best wishes for you and Odin! ❤

He seem okay, but don’t accept if you put a little pressure on the back leg. But he’s jumping normally and move the leg normally. Just that he don’t accept anyone putting pressure on the back leg. I don’t think he broke anything, but it was quite a lot of weight on his small back leg. He was stuck max 10 sekunds under the chair, before I had fully reacted that his paw had gotten under and he was stuck.

I truly hope it won’t be more legs that get bruised. He have already got the left paw and left back leg 🥺

So Odin have been unlucky this week but lucky that it didn’t become worse. I’ll see in a few days if he accepts pressure on the leg but he accepts being picked up.

Latest posts

Back