acceptable pellet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I know it's not an ideal pellet by any means but as a limited part of the diet for a dwarf mix and a mini rex is this acceptable?

Ingredients:Ground flax, dried plain beet pulp, dehulled soybean meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, rice bran, brewers rice, wheat middlings, soybean hulls, cosein rice mill by products, rice hulls, ground corn, cane molasses, and then the added vitamins and probiotics which is very long.

Analysis:
crude protein: 14%
crude fat: 5%
crude fiber: 16%
calcium min:.8% max 1%
phosphorous min: .7%

We are a little tight for cash and this is $15/50lb bag. They are getting unlimited timothy hay, alfalfa cubes, and will be started on greens soon with lots of fresh grass and forages daily as soon as they are adjusted to it. The only other pellet at the feed store had all by products and started with grain by products. The petstore pellets are all $2/lb or more and ordering oxbow online isn't much cheaper along with coming up with enough cash for a 50lb bag at once or it's not cheaper at all. I could also mix this 50/50 with another pellet to cut cost but improve the quality of the feed a little.

Can the feed store order you in Purina (I pay $17 for 50lbs of Fibre3)? I'd rather not feed a pellet at all then feed the one you posted about...it looks like junk :(.

I wouldn't suggest feeding a pellet so low in protein and so high in fat. For a pet bun, especially with Mini Rex who have a different fur, I'd probably suggest something like 16% protein and 1.5-2% fat. Fiber content doesn't matter as much, since it sounds like your bunnies get plenty of other sources of fiber.

undergunfire wrote:
Can the feed store order you in Purina (I pay $17 for 50lbs of Fibre3)? I'd rather not feed a pellet at all then feed the one you posted about...it looks like junk :(.

Purina is not that hard to get and some feed stores will order.

The high fiber Purina and also the Purina rabbit chow in the green bag is acceptable.I have used it.

http://purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=rabbit

As far as I've seen purina does not exist here. I have never seen a purina product in the 4 feed stores in the area. We have nutrena, country lane, and some local brands. I can't find the ingredients list for nutrena rabbit pellets but I did find a few posts mentioning the amount of by products and unnamed ingredients. I've even been checking horse pellets for something better than the rabbit pellets around here.

Oxbow is only 14 or 15% protein.

Yeah, the protein is pretty standard. Fiber is a bit low but the concern is the high fat. That's about the highest I've seen.

How old are they? How much exercise do they get? Are they free run or caged?

Mini-rexes and to a lesser extent dwarfs are prone to weight issues.

Nutrena is 17% protein so its not great either.

But I dont' think one needs timothy pellets at all. The difference between alfalfa and timothy is pretty negligible, I'd just worry about that if you have an obese rabbit.

Just feed them a few teaspoons full of a mix and get them eating more hay and veggies and they'll be fine.

PS: I don't think buying a huge bag of pellets is prudent for two rabbits because they shouldn't be getting too many and they do go stale. A small bag and reduced feedings is healthier more economical if you have to throw the leftovers out.

PPS: Here's the link to the Library, it has a lot of pellets and their ingredients listed:

Pellets

sas :bunnydance:

Just a side note, I don't know anything about Nutrena...never used it. But Sas said it's 17% protein. I would actually recommend that over the first food posted. A high protein is actually usually desired for special fur or wool breeds, like the Mini Rex. And it should be fine for the dwarf too as long as they get plenty of exercise and fiber.

Ideally, 15-16% protein for pets is better, but the 17% wouldn't be all bad and would probably be better than 14% even. It's a give and take with pellets, you'll rarely find a perfect one. But you can adjust their diets accordingly to accommodate for more or less of whatever they need.

I agree with Pipp, the protein/fibre are okay and can be easily adjusted for.

I wouldn't feed 17% protein apart from temporarily to a growing baby/breeding female. Adults need more like 14%. Rex don't grow any extra fur like an angora do so I shouldn't think their fur gives them extra protein needs.

It's the 5% fat that could be a bit high. If it's mainly a temporary hold over whilst you increase other foods and then you decrease the pellets I think it's fine. You should find feeding lots of grass and greens cheaper and better for them :)

I can almost promise that you can find a better pellet than that. I buy my pellets at Petsmart because we dont have a feed store here either. Timothy hay isn't even included in the list of ingredients and I've always thought that it should be the main ingredient.

I'm not even saying you should track down a feed store and get a specific type of pellet, but I would recommend you look at the other options. I think you will find someone better.

Latest posts

Back