AC temperature for bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessc

Reaction score
Hi!
I have two rescue bunnies and one cat. I leave for working during the day, and sometimes will be gone for a night once in a while.

I live in an older house so my electric bills can be very expensive in summer and winter.
If I leave the AC on while I am gone what is the highest comfortable temperature for them?

I want them to be comfortable but also don’t want to break the bank! Thanks!

Below 75 f is most comfortable for them, but you could probably get away with 80 f, though they are most likely not going to be too active at this temp. Giving them cool tiles to lay on can help too.

My rabbits have their own room, and I keep a window unit in there, so it can be a little cooler than the rest of the house. I keep it right at 65 F for them, and they seem to love it! They both love laying flopped out in the cooler air of their room! They also come into the rest of the house, which is right at about 70, but prefer it a little cooler...

I keep my house around 73-74 F in the summer, but it's a 2000s house that's not very expensive to cool.

House rabbits should be able to acclimate just like their wild conterparts. it's over 90 F outside here, and the cottontails are still out & about doing rabbit things.

If you do make changes, I suggest doing it slowly and giving your rabbits time to adjust.

I face the same issue, if it's not too hot out I can set my ac to 75, but once it goes over 85 outside it would run constantly. In the summer months I often set it at 80 and give them a fan. Two years ago my AC broke during the hottest days, it was getting up to 95 in my house, I froze bottles of water and put those in their room. The idea of their own AC unit could work too, we do that for ourselves in the bedroom at night and I haven't noticed any significant increase in our electric bill

We've already had a few very hot days (88-90) and I was surprised by how totally energetic and comfortable my rabbit seemed. (She's a Rex.)

I personally was roasting! Just to be on the safe side I set the a/c thermostat to 85 when I went to sleep at night.

Latest posts

Back