Abused and Hearing Impaired rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
I am thinking of adopting a rabbit that has been abused and is hearing impaired. Does anyone have experience with either conditions? I know I will have to be more patient with him and he may never be as cuddly as Becky. My hope is bonding him to a sweet and friendly girl will give him comfort and perhaps a little confidence.

EDIT: We may end up in the situation of bonding three new to each other rabbits, him being one. From what I understand his personality is very meek. I wouldn't put him with an overly dominate rabbit for fear of him feeling terrorized.

oh gosh, what a fantastic person you are :)

<3

i'd suggest just a lot of tender love and care.

perhaps him being with a dominant bunny could be good, as there would be no power struggle and fighting? they would just slot into their roles with no upsets or fights for territory ?

I have never worked with a deaf rabbit, but I have worked with several abused rabbits- two of my own and some at the shelter where I volunteer. The most important thing is to take everything at his pace. If he is shy of hands, give him time. Let him learn to trust you by sitting or lying on the floor and ignoring him. Maybe read a newspaper and let him nibble it if he wants to. Some hand-shy rabbits feel more secure about taking treats through the cage wire instead of when they are out in the open. The barrier makes them feel safer. Also, make sure you set up his cage so that he can hop in and out on his own for playtime.

I have heard that deaf rabbits will sometimes "hear" through vibrations, so a way to get his attention might be to tap on the floor, etc.

If he is hand-shy, I would wait before bonding him. Let him get used to you and trust you first before you have to pick him up a lot to put him in neutral territory for dates.

Thank you. I am thinking of bonding the other two and keeping him seperate until he is more comfortable in general. Would it be ok to move him into where Rebecca is currently since she will be going upstairs to be with the new bunny? I set up two xpens in my office (neutral territory). I think her current set up might be perfect since he could come and go from the cage as he wishes and I could keep the play pen door closed. He would have space to be himself but still have people around since it is in our bedroom. Sleeping people probably aren't as scarry.

I'm reading Watership Down to Rebecca. Perhaps this little guy would like a night time story as well even if he can't really hear it.

I've had three deaf bunnies. Lindor was the first, and she taught us a lot. We flicked a light before entering her space, and would blow on her before we touched her (if she was on the upper level of her condo). Both things worked very well.

What worked the most was having other bunnies around. The deaf bunny will learn how to use other bunnies' body language to help them feel comfortable. (even unbonded). Zayne knows if Finley and Behr are circling, it must be food time. :)

I am still careful to avoid sudden movements....and usually look for a clue that Zayne knows I'm around.

Good luck.

I have never had a special-needs rabbit, but I just wanted to write to encourage you. These poor angels need someone to make their world safe for them again. My heart just breaks for animals that have been abused! Most people pass over them because they have behavior problems or require more effort.

I admit very plainly that although I wish I had the time for a special-needs bunny, I just can't make such a huge commitment. It wouldn't be fair to them if I tried and failed.

Our world needs as many committed and compassionate caregivers as possible! Thank you for stepping up where so many people (myself included) just can't. God bless you!

Wanted to post an update. The poor guy needs to have an eye removed because there is an infection in the eye and it is causing him pain. There is no vision left in the eye. On the bright side, there's no structural problem in his hind end. He just doesn't know how to hop from being so confined.

It is a crime the way this poor boy was treated. People that do such things make me so mad! :tantrum:

I am in close contact with his foster mom and they are getting a second opinion on the eye on Wed. His white blood cell count is elevated so there is some discussion about trying to get the infection under control first to lower the risks. There are many paths his life can take depending on how his health turns out and the quality of life hae can expect. Please pray for his healing.

That is so sad! No matter what trials he has to go through to recover, I am certain he will be happier with you than he has ever been in his life so far. Please let us know what happens. He is in my prayers. <3

Well, it is now July. I have adopted Cinderella and Houdini, but Bond has come back around as a possibility. He may FINALLY be healthy enough to adopt! They ended up needing to take his eye out and the infection was very hard to get under control.

Since then I have also learned that Rebecca is a little more "special" than I realised at first. I knew she came from a rough background- confined in a small space and malnourished. What I didn't know at first is that someone either dropped her or hit her in thehead. The vet was treating her for an eye infection, when in fact it was a side effect of head trauma. Her head tilts a little and she scans and shakes her head on a regular basis. She gets tear tracks down her little face, which is why we thought infection. However, it is because she doesn't have a normal blink reflex. Her lop ears will literally rub against her eyes and cause the tearing. I don't think she sees well and moves more out of sense of smell and memory. I wash her face every couple of weeks and flush her eyes with "tears" on a regular basis. It keeps her very happy.

Becky did not do well with the other two rabbits. They ended up picking on her, I think because they knew she was different. That is why I really hope she will get along well with Bond. They have a similar horrible background and vision problems. I'm hoping that two special bunnies will make an extra special pair. I want them both to be able to find love.

:pray:

He came home this weekend! We ended up calling him Indiana Bunns, Indy for short.

The first meeting went very well and he's already staying in her house full time. There was a little chasing and one instance of hair pulling the first day, but all has quieted down. I havn't seen any grooming yet, but they will lay all stretched out just inches from each other. Becky keeps trying to get him to play by giving him a nose bonk and then starting to run, then looks back. This is how she gets Andre to play chase. Unfortunately since Indy can't see she just ends up startling him and he doesn't realise it's an invitation. Hopefully they will figure out a new game together. I will add cute pictures later on today. I'm just so happy that they are getting along so well. :biggrin2:

Hi Brandy, what a wonderful thing you did in adobting these bunnies. They sound very sweet.

Do you have pictures yet? I'd love to see them.

Susan:)

Who is this new fellow?

IndyandBecky1.jpg

Getting to know each other

IndyandBecky2.jpg

Andre giving Indy kisses

IndyandAndre.jpg

Indy approves of the snacks

Indy.jpg

Settling into the new digs

IndyandBeckyHouse.jpg

I will take more pictures tonight. I just love to watch them together. They are the perfect match. :biggrin2:

Thank you for being interested in our little couple. I guess since I have always had health issues myself it makes me feel more connected to the babies that need a little more help. They also seem to really understand on my bad days and like to snuggle. I can tell already that Indy is going to be a snuggle bunny, he's so easy to pick up.

Brandy thanks for posting pictures. Can i ask you a favour, can you possibly make them a little bigger? My Bifocals don't seem to be working too good.:biggrin:lol

What I can see they look ADORABLE.

Snuggle bunnies are lovely to have Buttercup is a snuggle bunny and gives TONS of kisses :big kiss:too.

Susan:)

Sorry about the size, they got smushed going through the email system. I will have more direct pictures that are larger later this evening.

Becky gives tons of kisses too. Indy we will have to see. He doesn't like anything in front of his face. I tried to give him his papya enzyme tablet last night and he boxed my hand away. I think it is unsettling for him since he can't see what is going on. The poor boy with so little vision and hearing I think I would be biting everything and everyone, but he's still so sweet.

Latest posts

Back