Absess on animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz_1987

Reaction score
Well this isn't to do particually with my bunnies, but I would of thought it comes down to all small animals.

My guinea pig has just come back from the vet with an absess on hisbottom. The vet showed me how to clean it out etc with cottonbuds, but I tryed to get to the 'hole' a while ago and I just couldntget to it! I think you have to like try and turn it insideout?

Does anybody know how to do it? Or have any tips forme. Its on his butt which is a really hard place.

How are absess's caused?

I was told it would heel inside out?

So basically I want information on absess's on small animals, and ifany body has any tips for me or anything please give me some!

I have to clean it twice a day with some hydrogen peroxide but its looking a tricky process!

Thankz!

Linz:

I dont know about other small animals, but heres some info on abcessesin rabbits:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

What is it?

From Susan Brown, DVM
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=503&S=5&SourceID=43

An abscess is a cavity containing pus, surrounded by a capsule ofthickened inflamed tissue which is the usually result of a bacterialinfection. The pus is an accumulation of dead cells as the result ofthe battle to fight the infection. In humans, abscesses of the skin areoften caused by Staphylococcus infections, but in rabbits, abscessescan be caused by many different aerobic bacteria (those that requireoxygen to survive) including Pasteurella

Its essentially just an infection that becomes filled with pus. Inrabbits, they are difficult to treat and usually need to be removed andtreated with lots of antibiotics. Im not sure about guinea pigs though.

Oh sorry, i thought that an absess would be the same on all small animals. My bad!

Good news is that I finally found the wound hole and can get to it really easy now.

That information is really helpful! Thankz! It looks easy totreat now so hopefully it wont need to be surgically removed.I dont think a guinea pig would cope with that :?

Fingers crossed!

N thankz again!

Latest posts

Back