About petting...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinto

Reaction score
Yesterday the vet told me a strange thing. He said that perhaps I shouldn't pet Tinto (4 months old Netherland Dwarf buck) on the forehead, which he likes however on the other hand in the rabbit world that is something a subordinate member does to a more important rabbit. Does that mean that if he allows me to gently rub his forehead he feels superior to me?? Or is that only an expression of trust and calm? I was told to try to pet him on the cheeks or chin instead... :eek: But he never allows me to do that!!! When I touch his neck even from the side he lowers the head down to the ground, protecting his chin and chest. Where, i.e. on which part of the body, should I pet him????

I really wonder what the bunny language means. I understand sniffing, binking, relaxing or digging, but how to express from my side an attitude that a bun would understand. Any observations or experience on communicating with bunnies?

Last edited:
That is very strange. All of my rabbits love to be petted on the forehead and cheeks, most of them love being petted on the cheek except one of them she hates it gets aggressive every time I would touch her there so now I don't, so it really depends on the rabbit. I have yet to see a rabbit that likes being petted on the back, they tolerate it, just not their favorite place. Without seeing him actually doing it but if he lays his head down after you start touching him this is a good thing, he is accepting pets and trusts you. He is being submissive to you. I would continue petting him on the forehead.

Pet him on the forehead. That is where rabbits groom each other, so that is where they will want us to groom(pet) them as well. Rabbit hierarchy is complex and just because you give them head rubs doesn't mean they won't still see you as being in charge. In my group of six rabbits, the head bun basically insisted the other buns let him groom them, and since they like it they didn't mind giving in to his demands. So even though he groomed them, he was still the bun in charge of the group. Giving head rubs is one way to bond with your rabbit. The only time it could be a problem that I see, is if they start to get bossy about it, but that doesn't usually happen.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/prove-that-you-love-me/

Thanks everybody so much!

There is one surprise I wanted to share. I still have some problems with Tinto chewing on the fence of the pen, I tried to spray some bitter apple extract there, didn't work. Then I was advised to use something spicy, so the spiciest thing I found in the kitchen was Cayenne pepper. I made a paste of it and put it on the fence. To my surprise, he licks it and seems to like it. Should I provide him more? :)))))

Apart form that, I am using some calming music from youtube too especially when I go out, so that he isn't in complete silence, and I have to say that that seems to have some effect...

Lol, yesterday my buck chewed off the top of the Siracha bottle I left on the kitchen table, so much for spicy things as deterrent.

About petting: Just do it where he likes it, rabbits don't care much about what some peoples complicated thoughts:D

I only avoid the rears of intact does since it's said that petting there can trigger false pregnancies.

Latest posts

Back