About 3 months of no hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is about my rabbit and my rabbit only. You should follow professional and veterinarian recommendations and standards of care for your rabbit(s) as much as you possibly can. If your rabbit(s) is anything like mine, you might find some comfort here.

I posted about this awhile ago. Freya (11 months old Mini Satin) has been a poor hay eater for as long as we've had her (8 months). She had Muesli in her food dish and no hay in her cage when we bought her at the State Fair last summer. At the time I didn't know this was a bad thing because I didn't know about rabbit care. I was under the assumption that rabbits ate carrots like the cartoons taught us as kids. Thankfully we couldn't take her home the day we bought her because she was being shown the next day - and after the show was when we could take her. The extra night gave me the time I needed to research rabbit care, and thank God I did. We would have killed her or at the very least made her ill and/or unhealthy had I not done my research.

She came home to us to find a large pen and large cage set up, toys, somewhere to hide, a litter box, plenty of hay and water, Oxbow pellets, and after a couple of weeks, leafy greens. She started out ignoring the hay almost completely. Once in awhile she would nibble on a piece, but she never ate more than a couple strands, certainly not enough to call it her "food". Most days she would ignore it, some days she would eat enough for us to be able to tell there was hay missing from the hay manger, but not nearly enough.

Then came trouble. About a month and a half into having her she stopped pooping and needed to see an emergency vet who knew rabbits. She was put on some meds I had to give her every day for I think 5 days or a week or something like that. We thought maybe it was the arugula we had given her because that was the newest thing she'd eaten. The xrays showed way too much food matter in her system almost like a blockage, which then lead us to believe it was the carpet fibers she loves pulling up. Maybe it was the carpet fibers. And maybe this wouldn't have been devastating had she been eating her hay to push it out. She's since had arugula regularly and does perfect with it. She's got about a dozen regular leafy greens now. Anyways, it was a constant battle. Her poops would get very, very small even after this. A lot of the time it wasn't nearly enough poop. She was staying under weight with us trying to give her minimum pellets and a standard amount of greens to force hay eating. Eventually she stopped eating the hay all together no matter what we did or how little food she was getting anywhere else.

So I threw my hands up. She was staying under weight and was clearly having poop abnormalities, all because of this attempted force feeding of hay that the books said was required. A few months ago we stopped buying it and therefore stopped serving it. We decided to let her free feed Oxbow Adult Rabbit Pellets out of her dish, it always remains full. She gets her daily large salad that consists of 4-6 different leafy greens. She gets her 3 or 4 banana chips.

What has happened in these 3 months? No small poops, no irregular poops, great consistency, and she's now a normal weight. She isn't a glutton with her free feeding. We should have done that well beforehand. I was going to tough it out with her on the hay, I really was, but after some time I wasn't going to watch her starve herself, make herself sick, and not poop. I'm curious if the hay thing is exaggerated, after all, most domestic animals, humans included, don't eat exactly the way the books say they and we should. And yet we're alive.

Here we are this morning, giving dad some loving because she knows she made a mess.IMG_20220215_064910997.jpg

Here is her box of poops. They never looked so healthy before. They were much smaller and much less of them. Today is box day. Box day is every 2-3 days. I try daily but 4 kids, other animals, and work pushes it to 2-3 days a lot.

IMG_20220215_065023151.jpg

I had a new rabbit like that years ago. A show rabbit that had been raised on only pellets, and wouldn't touch hay. But I couldn't continue just feeding pellets even if I had wanted to. He kept going into GI stasis. I discovered it was the pellets(and any other high carb foods) causing the repeated bouts with stasis after I noticed him acting uncomfortable soon after eating them. I even tried several different brands and types of pellets to see if that worked, but all pellets would soon start to make him sick. The only solution I found was to start feeding plain hay pellets used for large livestock. After that he never had GI stasis again, and eventually he started to investigate eating loose hay and began eating it really well.

For some rabbits you can't just switch them onto loose hay if they're unaccustomed to eating it and won't eat it. A different approach has to be tried. I do agree that if you have a rabbit that adamantly refuses to eat hay, it's much better that rabbit be eating pellets than to starve and risk health decline.

One thing to consider, is a member on here recently stated something similar about their rabbit not wanting to eat hay. I think a cursory dental exam was done and nothing found. And still no(or very little) hay eating. Then I think at the owners request a thorough dental exam was done under sedation, and sure enough, there were ulcers found under the tongue due to some molar spurs. Those spurs were filed/burred down, and the rabbit soon after started eating hay. If I can remember what thread I read that in, I'll post a link here.

So when there's a rabbit refusing to eat hay, yes, it can sometimes just be down to pickiness and/or not being used to eating it, but it can also be due to undiscovered dental problems. So a thorough dental exam may be necessary in some cases, to find if that's the cause of the problem.

I had a new rabbit like that years ago. A show rabbit that had been raised on only pellets, and wouldn't touch hay. But I couldn't continue just feeding pellets even if I had wanted to. He kept going into GI stasis. I discovered it was the pellets(and any other high carb foods) causing the repeated bouts with stasis after I noticed him acting uncomfortable soon after eating them. I even tried several different brands and types of pellets to see if that worked, but all pellets would soon start to make him sick. The only solution I found was to start feeding plain hay pellets used for large livestock. After that he never had GI stasis again, and eventually he started to investigate eating loose hay and began eating it really well.

For some rabbits you can't just switch them onto loose hay if they're unaccustomed to eating it and won't eat it. A different approach has to be tried. I do agree that if you have a rabbit that adamantly refuses to eat hay, it's much better that rabbit be eating pellets than to starve and risk health decline.

One thing to consider, is a member on here recently stated something similar about their rabbit not wanting to eat hay. I think a cursory dental exam was done and nothing found. And still no(or very little) hay eating. Then I think at the owners request a thorough dental exam was done under sedation, and sure enough, there were ulcers found under the tongue due to some molar spurs. Those spurs were filed/burred down, and the rabbit soon after started eating hay. If I can remember what thread I read that in, I'll post a link here.

So when there's a rabbit refusing to eat hay, yes, it can sometimes just be down to pickiness and/or not being used to eating it, but it can also be due to undiscovered dental problems. So a thorough dental exam may be necessary in some cases, to find if that's the cause of the problem.
Hey JBun, good to hear from you. I'm curious how long your picky rabbit went before GI Stasis would happen? Did the rabbit ever go 3+ months with the pellets or did it happen a lot sooner? Seeking this information to stay alert with Freya.

I'll get her scheduled for a dental exam soon.

I've got a rabbit going on 10 years with no hay. I don't feed hay to my rabbits, and I don't see any dental or GI stasis issues when they are just on pellets.

Most pet Pellets and hay has artificial color and flavor to induce rabbit to eat. This is why I don't buy brand.

I know a farm give plain Pellets only and sometime vegetables from their field that has no issue.

I give my rabbits plain Pellets only controlled amount, occasionally plain hay. Hay makes mass, wast and they don't like it.

I never had one time GI stasis.

I'm curious if the hay thing is exaggerated, after all, most domestic animals, humans included, don't eat exactly the way the books say they and we should. And yet we're alive.

There is ideal and there is reality. ;) Since you mentioned humans... we've all heard stories of people who ate horrible diets, never exercised, and yet lived to ripe old age. It just happens. Those anecdotal cases, of course, shouldn't negate sound health advice.

I also know of a rabbit that was fed nothing but dogfood for the first 5 years of its life. It survived (though many other rabbits would not have survived on such a diet).

Diet recommendations for rabbits are ever-evolving. The dietary needs of fixed indoor rabbits have been found to be different than those for outdoor and/or breeding rabbits. So the generally accepted diet recommendations will vary per that.

But as Jenny pointed out, individual rabbits can have different sensitivities. In these cases, the recommendations may not fit. We've seen rabbits here on RO that cannot tolerate pellets whatsoever and must be limited to hay only. We've seen the opposite too -- rabbits that will only eat pellets. These diets may not be ideal or follow the generally accepted recommendations, but that doesn't negate the value of having these recommendations.

Your rabbit's poos do look good and healthy! I'm glad you've found a diet that seems to work with your rabbit. And good that she doesn't seem to over-eat the pellets. (I know mine would eat them til they burst!)

As an aside, have you heard of, or considered trying, compressed hay cubes? Many rabbits love them as if they were a special treat. Each cube is small-- about 1"-2" square.

Attachments

• hay-cubes-by-kaytee.png
    hay-cubes-by-kaytee.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi! I'm glad you found a diet that works for your bun! If you haven't tried yet, I would try giving Freya a few different kinds of hay such as 3rd cutting Timothy, Orchard, Or a little of Oat hay to see if she likes it more. Just an idea :)

Hi! I'm glad you found a diet that works for your bun! If you haven't tried yet, I would try giving Freya a few different kinds of hay such as 3rd cutting Timothy, Orchard, Or a little of Oat hay to see if she likes it more. Just an idea :)
We've tried Timothy and Orchard, separately and mixed. No-go.

Hey JBun, good to hear from you. I'm curious how long your picky rabbit went before GI Stasis would happen? Did the rabbit ever go 3+ months with the pellets or did it happen a lot sooner? Seeking this information to stay alert with Freya.

I'll get her scheduled for a dental exam soon.

My rabbit developed GI stasis soon after coming to my home. He was from a breeder that didn't interact with their rabbits much, so he wasn't well socialized with people. The stasis likely started due to the stress of this and being in a new home. And it was a really severe case that lasted several weeks.

I think this is what permanently damaged his digestive tract, because as he started to recover he would start to get sick again immediately. As this kept happening, I noticed the correlation to it happening when he started eating pellets again. But then it also started happening when he would get critical care. I would notice signs of pain within a half hour after eating, like belly pressing, repeatedly shifting positions, and eye squinting, along with lack of appetite after.

I was in a conundrum. How to feed a rabbit that won't eat hay(not due to dental issues) and can't eat critical care or pellets? That's when I thought to try hay pellets. It was the best solution for this particular rabbit. So though there are general recommendations for the majority of pet rabbits, there will always be a few rabbits that you can't follow the general recommendations with due to their own particular needs. But it's always good to first rule out a medical cause for a rabbit being picky about their food.

I have a bunny like that too but the vet says it's her megacolon what are the hay pellets brand or name called so I can get some for my girl

I have a bunny like that too but the vet says it's her megacolon what are the hay pellets brand or name called so I can get some for my girl

I used Standlee brand, as I didn't like the quality of the local feed store brand. My rabbit had symptoms similar to megacolon, and I also had a megacolon bun on the same no pellet no high carb/sugary foods diet. They were on free fed grass hay(usually timothy) and select greens/forage. The one rabbit was on the hay pellets for the first month or two, until he gradually started eating loose hay. Then I just fed a few hay pellets a day as a 'treat' since he liked them.

I'm going to get her checked for dental issues as a precaution, but at 3 months I'm comfortable with her personal gut and body and diet. I have a hard time believing so many rabbits would die when there were big, fat, healthy behaving rabbits in the literal hundreds in the same barn at the State Fair that she came from, all with the same seedy looking diet in their dishes. Hardly any living thing is as fragile as rabbits are claimed to be. It's all anecdotal from a personal live with/experience perspective with my rabbit who does just fine. Imagine a regular sized paper plate. Imagine that fully covered with greens and stacked a few inches high. That's her daily salad with unlimited pellets. She's not obese and poops great.

A mix of Bok Choy, Dandelion, Collard Greens, Cilantro, Mint, and Romaine is her typical. She's got 5 or 6 others that are substitutes when something is missing from the market. Time has shown us what her favorites are.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back