Abcesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given a rabbit that turned out to have a major abcess/lump type thing. My vet was out of town when I discovered it and I talked to another breeder who had been breeding for years and sent her photos of it. It was in the dewlap area.

I was told to take a string or elastic band and tie it around the abcess as tight as possible - and to keep tightening it as the abcess would shrink. It took about a month but the abcess fell completely off - I think we adjusted the string 3 times during that month - making it tighter each time.

In this case - it was obviously an older abcess type thing and it was barely attached to the dewlap at all. It was about golf ball size.

I was also treating the rabbit with antibiotics (just in case). When I talked to the vet and told her what I'd done - she said she'd never heard of the trick but to keep an eye on it and let her know what happened. She is a great vet but she also said that sometimes older breeders know tricks like these and to save the rabbit the stress of a trip in the hot car during the summer months (no air conditioning) she felt like I could keep an eye on this and treat it with the meds. I called her again when it fell off and described what it looked like and she said it sounded fine and to just watch for it in case it developed again - which it never did.

I'm not saying everyone should do this - in fact, I always recommend going to see the vet for stuff like this if you can. But in this case - the trick seemed to work and I was told it was an 'old trick breeders have used for years'.....

Anyway - the doe does seem fine. I think that a lot of the reason it worked is that this was just barely attached to her though...

Peg

Am I the only one that sees this as insane and some of the worst advice I've ever seen in my life? Are you all so afraid of offending someone that you won't even speak out about things you know darn well are wrong?

People new to rabbits and this forum are going to see this post and think hey what the hell I am going to save money on a vet visit and do this myself. You will have those rabbits pain and possible deaths on your heads.

How hard is it to research the net for information? Since when did you become a darn vet. So many times you say the vet is too far and would stress the rabbits. I hate to say it but sometimes I wonder if it's not just the fact you don't want to spend the money or drive that far. Abcesses are not to be taken lightly and to act as if they are is foolish.

Cutting it open with more or less a box cutter. I am physically ill just thinking about some novice attempting this at home to save a few bucks. How do you people sleep at night?

I can't believe no onehad the guts to stand up and say this is wrong. You are more or less saying you can treat abcesses at home. Oh sure you say seek a vet but why would they. They see that your barbaric methods work.

You all need to seriously consider what is being said and done. This forum used to be great. But if this is what this forum has been reduced to I can understand why so many left and are still leaving. Now I am ashamed to admit I ever even knew a forum called RO.

Are you all here to help or harm the rabbits? Ask yourself that every time you post or read a post such as this.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Opinions are deleted but gross misinformation is allowed to stay up unchallenged. I pity the rabbits I really do. With information this bad they have a sad future should they ever get an abcess.

Cutting it open with more or less a box cutter. I am physically ill just thinking about some novice attempting this at home to save a few bucks. How do you people sleep at night?

I can't believe no onehad the guts to stand up and say this is wrong. You are more or less saying you can treat abcesses at home. Oh sure you say seek a vet but why would they. They see that your barbaric methods work.

You all need to seriously consider what is being said and done. This forum used to be great. But if this is what this forum has been reduced to I can understand why so many left and are still leaving. Now I am ashamed to admit I ever even knew a forum called RO.

I'm posting this information here although it was posted in another thread in response to the same post.

Per ARBA handbook "Official Guide Book: Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies" - from the American Rabbit Breeders Association, Inc. Copyright 2000. Page 193 under "Medical Management"

I am not going to type all of it because it is fairly long - but here is the clinical signs & prognosis.

Abcesses:

Clinical Sign: A lump may be found anywhere on the body, however, commonly they are found around the head and shoulders.

Prognosis: Good if treated early... (NOW HERE IS THEIR TREATMENT FOLKS!)..

The abcess should be lanced with a scalpel, making a large incision from which to drain the pus. The wound should be flushed with hydrogen peroxide or iodine solution daily. Use of a broad spectrum injectable antibiotic for 3-5 days may be indicated.

~~~

The same method is discussed in these books:

Encyclopedia of Pet Rabbits by David Robinson - copyright 1979 pgs 302 & 303

Lop Rabbits as Pets by Sandy Crook - copyright 1986 - pg. 122 & 123 (which gives VERY detailed instructions on how to do this - even down to the needle size for flushing but it is pretty gross to read)

Rabbit Production by Cheeke, Patton, Lukefahr & McNitt - 6th edition - pages 216 & 217

I may be able to find it in more of my books also. However, in these books it instructs people how they can do it themselves.

And I don't use a box cutter...sorry if I made it seem that way!

Peg

Hi All

I'm sorry to say that I have just returned from the vets where Gracie was put to sleep this morning. The procedure was just too much for her.

Thank you for your well wishes and advice.

Miss Gracie :(

I am so sorry
hug.gif

Many good thoughts during this difficult time :pink iris:
candle.gif

Miss Gracie - I'm so sorry about your loss. You're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure your rabbit knew she was loved while she was with you and I hope that someday your memories will bring you comfort and smiles.

Peg

This is so sad. :bigtears:

Some abcesses just can't be treated, I'm so sorry Miss Gracie's was one of them.

I've been in tears all morning after reading this.

So sorry for your loss. I hope you stay with us, and find another little bunny to help fill that hole in your heart.Bunnies need people like you... people who care. :pink iris:

SAS:sad:and PIPP :(

Latest posts

Back