A White Tan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarzoo

Reaction score
My friend who also shows and breeds rabbits just had a bizarre occurence this morning.

She breeds Tans, among many other breeds, and just had a litter born this morning. The mom was either a blue or a black (oops, I forget!)and the dad is a black. The Dad just won a BIS this weekend, woohoo!Anyways, the doe had a litter of three this morning. 2 normal blacks,unfortunately born dead, and one WHITE!!!

She says the baby appears to have some sort of shading where a you'dsee the normal tan coloration (nape, ears, belly, etc...) and the restof the fur is pure white. If she is right, and there is shading it can't be a REW- but what could it be?

All parents back 3 generations on both mom and dad's pedigree are either blue or black- of course it doesn't account for litter mates, though.

Any thoughts on this? I am not very familiar with this breed and was hoping someone else might be. I know the only accepted colors are black, blue, chocolate and lilac. I've never seen a tan in any color besides those listed, though I assume it'd be possible. I don't even know how a rabbit of that color would be genetically possible.

She's sure the doe didn't breed to another buck- neighbors on both sides are also tans, plus the dead babies were normally marked.

How cool, though?! Any thoughts? I told her to get a picture- hopefully the baby will survive.

Interesting :ponder: Never heard of that before. There could be a different breed in the background that is 4 or more generations back. She may want to write to the President of the American Tan Club (Sorry, don't know exact name, just go to ARBA website and click on the breed pic). Ask them what it could be?

Sharon

That is weird... You said it has shading? I guess that rules out it being an albino. I would really like to see a pic, too.

If you can get a photo, that would be awesome!

With your permission, I'd like to share this with the Rabbit Genetics group I'm a part of, I'm sure there's a logical answer behind this suprise arrival that theymight be able toshed some light on.

~Sunshine

I asked her to take some pictures- hopefully she did and will email them to me soon!

Sunshine-

You are more than welcme to share this with your genetics group. I'd love to hear any replies you get, though.

Ok... a bit of an understatement, but they are all very eager to see pictures of this baby on the Genetics group!

They haven't been able to give any insight just yet, but if this baby does live and if you're friend decides she doesn't want to keep it -I've gotsomeone that seriously wants it.;)

~Sunshine

I'm really rather surprised; the Tan is one of THE most uniform and 'set' color breeds we have.

I wonder...is there import stock behind this kid? :)

PA

(Tan breeder and adorer of the breed)

ps...I'm the one who SERIOUSLY wants it, by the way.... :) I want to play! (and NOT screw up the breed!)

Wow!!

Glad to hear people are interested!!

There is a possibility that this tan has import stock in his background- as I believe he is out of Joel Marshall's line and I know he's imported stock- in fact he showed me a buck of his at the '06 ARBA convention that still had his leg band on.

Pam, I will let my friend know she has someone (or many someone's, lol)eagerly awaiting info about this baby! I used to beamostly-lurker sometimes-poster on the old Show bunny forum and I am glad to see your name again. You were always a generous and helpful source of information.

-Lindsay

I heard back from my friend and unfortunately the weird colored kit died yesterday. It was a singleton from a first time mom. We actually had some cool weather the past few days here in FL, and the little guy must have gotten too chilled.

She didn't get a picture before it died, but she did tell me the body color seemed to darken a little bit as it got older. She said it was still lighter than a lilac should be (if a lilac was even possible out of those two rabbits) and appeared snowy white at birth (with the tan markings).

The doe seems to be showing signs of being ready to breed- so she is going to repeat the same cross to see what she gets. I will be sure to update you all if she gets something similar. She is going to breed a few other does at the same time to foster to in case the same thing happens.

I'd still like to hear what your theories are on this abnormally light color. Is it possible for it to be a super light lilac? Are there other possibilities?

That's too bad, I (and many others) would have LOVED to see this little one make it to adulthood and also see some kind of pictures.

Someone on the genetics group suggested it could be a gene similarly relatedto White Doberman's. Someone else suggested a "Reverse Tan" (which sounds similar).

There were other idea's about itbeing Non-Extension&/or dominant for theChin gene (but WHERE would those have come from?).

Hopefully, she's able to produce another like it in the next litter! It's certainly quite fascinating!

~Sunshine

Yes, I was really hoping she'd get pictures- but she's tech challenged and I usually do all her pictures and website maintenance for her.

I believe she is rebreeding today-hopefully babies in a month!

Thanks for letting me know some of the theories out there. I was really excited to see what it would grow up to. I don't think my friend realized how special that baby was.

I don't know the history of a Florida White, but this tan baby was not an albino- it had tan markings, but a white upper coloring.

She's rebred to the same buck. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back