A Tribute to Honey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flick

Reaction score
When I first saw Honey in the animal shelter, she was sleeping with her chin propped on her dewlap. A big girl, fur the color of a spring thunderstorm. Regal. She opened her eyes and looked at me. I thought, "She's waiting for me." It took a few days, but she did, indeed come to live with me.

She did not understand what the litter box was for, so I put towels down on her pen floor. Every evening I would take up the pee-soaked towels, spray the floor with vinegar and water, and put down clean towels. Then I would sit on the floor and she would lay against me. Her nose at my hip, in "nose rub position" and her feet at my ankle. When she'd had enough, she'd return to her pen. One evening, while changing the towels, I noticed she was in the "nose rub" spot and I thought, "She's waiting for me." We had our routine in place.

Her room was on the second floor directly above the kitchen table. She had a wire ball she liked to fling around. It was hard to believe that such a small thing could sound like a bouncing bowling ball. I'd glance at the clock and realize that I was late for our nose-rub session and she was letting me know that she was waiting for me. She would be dancing at the gate when I arrived.

Honey was an older rabbit when she came to live with me. She survived uterine cancer, then cataracts took her eyesight. One day, she quit eating. There's no cure for old age. I sat in the backseat and rubbed her nose as my husband drove us to the vet for the last time. As she left her failing body, she wagged her tail at me, letting me know that across the Rainbow Bridge, she's waiting for me.

[ame="http://youtu.be/oSKHhvXNOlo"]http://http://youtu.be/oSKHhvXNOlo[/ame]

That was so well written, I cried :( RIP Honey :bunnyangel2: Sounds like her last days were spent being spoiled, she was lucky to go to such a caring home.

This is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful rabbit. She was lucky to go to such a loving and caring home. RIP Honey.

Wrote this in 2011 about Honey.

Y'all may recall Honey, the mature 12 lb. gray French Lop I took in from CAP for "just a few days" last June. She's still living with us much to Skyler's annoyance. She spends her days changing sleeping positions in my husband's computer room. It's a very hectic schedule for her.

In the evening I close one gate and put up another gate so Skyler is "locked" in my computer room and Honey can have some play time without going "nose to nose" with him. Someone (probably Skyler) would lose a nose.

So, I open the gate to the computer room and the door to Honey's pen, then wake up Honey. She ponders on the possible rewards awaiting her if she moves vs continuing her dream. If I were a really good caretaker, I'd install a "snooze alarm" for her, but instead I tempt her by saying, "Yum yum, Honey! Yum yum!". Through their own volition, her back feet start scrambling, shoving her backside up, forcing the front legs to maintain a parallel position, thus, she stands, frantically looking for the "yum yum", circling my feet at the exact speed needed to make sure that she's always at my heels as I spiral in place trying to give her the treat.

After twirling around me then scarfing down the "yum yum", she often finds that she needs a nap after so much frenetic activity and plops down on the threshold of her pen.

I return to the family room, sit on the floor in front of the TV and patiently wait for her to finish her "power nap". Once she re-surfaces, she'll snoop around the room a little bit. I'll call her name and wave at her. She'll "LOOK" at me wondering what kind of thing is making so much noise and waving an appendage in such an odd manner.

Recognition dawns on her, "Oh, yeah! It's that lady who rubs my nose!" And, here she comes... full speed ahead. Ears a-flying! Galumphing!

It's like watching a baby elephant charging right at me!

Aww, that's so sweet. I like what you wrote about her :) So sorry for your loss.

My thanks to all who have written such kind words. I will always miss Honey, but I'll always be thankful that she was part of my family.

Sorry for your loss!

Good grief, Flick! You seriously need to be a book writer! You write great stories!!! This is the second story of a rabbits' life with you, and both almost leave me crying at the end!!!

So beautifully written, your love for Honey shows through and through. Tugged at my heart strings and the video was super cute. Thank you for sharing your story about Honey.

I'm sorry to hear about Honey's passing but she will be there waiting.

Latest posts

Back