A smart rabbit story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinaBun

Sponsor
Reaction score
Nanning, China and Mountain Home, Arkansas
Hi all. I got an email from an acquaintance ofmine who knows I have a rabbit. It was such a cute story that I thoughtthe group would enjoy it, too. I asked her permission to post it here.

This story comes at an interesting time, because just yesterday Itaught my university English majors the expression "You can't teach anold dog new tricks". When I explained the word tricks I said that myrabbit couldn't do any. I thought that rabbits (like cats) were tooindependent to teach tricks to. This story shows that I'm wrong.

Do you have any examples of bunnies doing tricks or tasks for you?

Here's the story:

====================

I have a rabbit story to share with you. My parents were on vacation
in Arkansas recently and in one of the little shops, they saw a
beautiful long-haired grey rabbit. The store owner said the little
rabbit really earned his keep working the store. My parents ignored
it, thinking the lady was just making conversation. Well it was true!

When my parents got ready to purchase their item, the lady put the
rabbit on the counter and my dad paid with a credit card. After the
lady ran the card, she gave it to the rabbit. He took it in his
mouth and immediately turned to my dad to return the card and turned
and looked at the lady. She said, "I know, he needs the paper to
sign" and she put the cc receipt in the rabbit's mouth, and again,
the rabbit turned immediately to my dad to give it to him. Then the
rabbit turned to the lady and she said, "I know, he needs a pen" and
she put a pen in the rabbits mouth and the same thing happened
again. The rabbit then put the package in his mouth and "handed" it
to my dad. My parents were very impressed. The lady takes the
rabbit home each evening, and back to the store each morning. When
they get to the store, she opens the car door and the rabbit hops out
of the car and goes up to the store door and waits for her to open
it. When it's nice weather, she'll leave the store door open, and my
mom asked if the rabbit didn't try to leave. The lady said, "Oh, he
goes to the door and looks out, but he never leaves." He's also
litter box trained.

I thought you would appreciate that story as you raise Qingqing.

WOW! What a great story! Would love to see that myself!

Sami impressed me today...when it was time for her to go back into herhouse i called her name and pointed to the cage and she jumped in!

-Gillian

Great story! I remember reading in oneof our newspapers about a rabbit that used to sit on the shop counter,near an animal charity collection box. The shopkeeper would ask if theywere making a donation, to give it to the rabbit. When theydid, the rabbit would put the money in the box :D

Jan

Hmm.. I'm sure all our bunnies know the sounds of treats and food.

Whenever we crumple a wrapper (chocolate, candy, cereal) Cookie goesmad jumping all over us and running in circles. Not really atrick... but I'm sure I could use this to my advantage...

I already make him stand up on his hind legs as high as he can go to get the treat.

That was a cute story.

The only thing my bunnies can do is to go backto their cages at 10 pm when I walk to their cage. They know I'm goingto give them supper and put them to bed. Sometimes I still have tochase them though.

Saturday, i was cleaning Rue's cage, but forgot to put her litter back in. she found me in the other room, and nudged my feet.

"whatdya want" i said to her. she turned around and walked back to hercage where i noticed that i forgot to put her litter back in. So i putit in, and she promptly jumped in her cage for a pee. SMART BUNNY.

Aw, what a cute story. Do you know where this store is? I'd like to go see this bunny. :)

That story is awesome!! My kids have now taught2 diffrent breeds of rabbits to play pattycake and give high 5's. Bothwere lops one a juniour male French Lop{ChazMoose} the other a juniorfemale Engligh lop{Nadia}. My daughter thinks it is just to funny tohave them give her high fives.

There is a rabbit at a local car wash here inTucson. He is a big reason I became interested inrabbits. We call him Thomas the car washing rabbit.I met him after my brother got a job at the car wash. He is(I think) a flemish. He is supposed to be white, but he hasgotten a bit grey after all of his car-washing antics.

He has free-run of the store, and occasionally goes outside when theweather is just right. He is usually seen dragging rags thatmiss it into the can, over to the area that they re-wash therags. They have moved all of the treats and food from thebottom two shelves of the whole store. He was busted stealinghis favorite treats, banana flavored laffy taffy.

Also, on occasion, keys, glasses, and sometimes money is found in hiscage, which the employees at Simoniz call "Lost &Found." I have been known to bring in treats for thisloveable guy. He LOVES to be pet! :D

Here's a follow-up to my original post.

I asked the woman who sent me the email to find out from her parents where the clever rabbit lived. Here is her father's answer:

==========

Hi Nancy,

I'm glad you shared the story. Here's what my dad wrote when I asked
about the town.

rabbit story---- town is Eureka Springs. two stores have rabbits. A
mother and daughter, Asian descent, one is downtown, on the south
side of the street, the other is out of the old downtown area on Hwy
62 in a strip mall across the street from Pizza hut. Both stores are
gift shop types.

=============

Latest posts

Back