A second rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjamieson

Reaction score
Hi :)

OK...here is my situation:

I've got an awesome little rabbit named Mochi. He is 13 months old, male, and neutered. He's a house rabbit and while he has a pen upstairs he is never shut in and pretty much has the run of the place.

What I'm wondering is, does Mochi need a bunny buddy? It is still a bit hard for me to decipher his emotions, I'm mostly used to cat speak, lol, so I don't know if he's lonely. He is always very chilled out. Sometimes I worry that he's bored, but he never really wants any of the various toys I have bought/made for him. I know that he's content because he's always doing that flop, roll around like an idiot, and then stretch out all comfy thing (which I seriously adore :) ). He does love to binky into the air when he gets to go outside on his leash, though, so I hope he's happy at least! I'm always paranoid that he's not absolutely happy 0_0

Anyways...I ramble....sorry!

In regards to another rabbit I am wondering if he could use the companionship. Even though he spends his time with the cats (we have six) and they will sit next to and sleep within proximity of him there is never much interaction. Sometimes I let my two guinea pig girls out of their cage to see if he'll interact with them, but he is pretty disinterested, and they're so in love with each other that they don't pay attention to him either.

In the opinion of people who are more rabbit experienced than I am, do you think he needs a same species companion since although he has so many animals around him (including both my husband and I who work from home), the only real direct interaction he gets is from me?

Secondly, if I do decide to go that route, do you think that he will react pretty well to the introduction of another rabbit? He is SO non-territorial. The cats sleep in his pen, drink his water, and are in and out of there all day and night. He never bats an eyelid, he is seriously SO CHILL. Sometimes he'll touch noses with them, but it's like they don't quite know what the other wants, lol! The guinea pigs will climb into his cage too and he couldn't care less. I'm thinking of going with a baby rabbit who is still used to being around other rabbits as well. Should this make things be easier possibly?

So anyways...there are my questions. Hopefully that all made sense, and I apologize for the rambling. I am absolutely enamored with that little bunny and can go on about him forever!

Thanks!
Jen
:rabbithop

A baby bunny could work but you could also consider an adult (possibly spayed) female.
Have you had a look at the Irish Rabbit forum? I think there are a few people looking to rehome adult rabbits.

I would say go with a rescue if you can. We are a one bunny house ourselves with no other pets except a parrot that's in a cage. But I'm a stay at home mom so Twigs is never alone. Our Twigs also never plays with anything (too lazy) and dead bunny flops all the time. For a while I was seriously thinking about getting him a bunwife. But he's really good and doesn't chew on very much and has WONDERFUL litter box habits. I was worried that if I got another that the second bun might not be as perfect (in my opinion LOL). So in the end we decided not to get another. I think that for our family we did the right thing. But it totally depends on you and what you think will work for you and Mochi. Good luck.

I'll say what I always say when this question is asked. A rabbit can be very happy alone amd can be very happy with a mate, depends on the personality and can go either way. On top of it you got a lot of other critters to keep them on their toes. So the true deciding factor in my opinion is do you want another one?

Do you have the time and space to take care of another rabbit if a bond doesnt work? Taking care if a second rabbit when bonded isn't so much harder or more expensive then taking care of one, hell right now my two arent bonded and the only issue I have is juggling out time. Expense and clean wise the difference is negligent. I've started to ramble but it does come down to are you motivated and commited to getting a second rabbit, once that's answered you know the way to go.

Thank you so much for the replies, it definitely gives me some things to think over!

Sabine are you referring to somewhere on here or a separate forum?

Rabbits do not need buddies. As long as hes provided ample mental stimulation, free time, toys, etc. He will be fine.

If bringing home a second rabbit, you have to be prepared that even if on bunny dates, they may get along, but they may never bond or they make "break up" and will have to be kept separate their entire lives.

And just a note in regards to the user title you have given yourself.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f39/announcement-names-profiles-71969/

One thing to keep in mind is that if you would get a young intact bun and the two buns bond then the bond could be broken when you get the new one spayed/neutered. Also, most people seem to think that a male/female combo is the easiest to bond.

Thank you so much for the replies, it definitely gives me some things to think over!

Sabine are you referring to somewhere on here or a separate forum?

I was talking about a separate local Irish forum but I think you may already be a member? Just saw a similar user name?

Gotcha, I did just join that forum. Most of the rehoming posts there seemed pretty old! I did contact one person but haven't heard back. I'm still going back and forth on what I'd like to do. He did seem to really like it when one of the cats was sort of head butting him a minute ago because I was petting him and she was head butting my hand and he sort of got mixed in, lol. But then I brought him down to sit on the bed with me and some kitties and he left to go and sit alone in his pen so I have no clue what he actually wants 0_0.

A 2nd bunny friend will be great for him as they can play with each other, groom each other, and keep each other company. If you give him a lot of your time though and playing games and brushing his coat then he can consider you as his play pal. Other pets can also be seen as play pals, but you need to be careful with them even if they're well bonded. Dogs and cats may suddenly decide your bunny is good for eating, and dog teeth can very easily penetrate the thin bunny skin and pierce an organ resulting in the bunny dying, even if it's only a slight nip.

Gotcha, I did just join that forum. Most of the rehoming posts there seemed pretty old! I did contact one person but haven't heard back. I'm still going back and forth on what I'd like to do. He did seem to really like it when one of the cats was sort of head butting him a minute ago because I was petting him and she was head butting my hand and he sort of got mixed in, lol. But then I brought him down to sit on the bed with me and some kitties and he left to go and sit alone in his pen so I have no clue what he actually wants 0_0.
I am sure he would not say no to a rabbit companion but it all depends whether you have the time and energy to invite another rabbit into your life. As it is he certainly seems to have a fantastic life!
I am afraid the Irish rabbit forum is not as busy as this one and people post rather infrequently. Some rescue people do post occasionally and it's no harm staying in touch.:clover:

My cats are quite good even with the guinea pigs so I don't worry about them hurting him. They climb into the guinea pig cage and sleep and have been for years, lol! They don't get to go near any of my pets that are smaller than the pigs though ;-) I think they get to chase enough things out in the woods that they're not all that concerned with the inside pets.

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone. You've really helped me think this through. I think that for now I'm going to just stick with the one bun for the time being unless some really 'fate' situation comes up to get another :) I'll just buy Mochi some new stuff and spoil him! :-D

I am sure he would not say no to a rabbit companion but it all depends whether you have the time and energy to invite another rabbit into your life. As it is he certainly seems to have a fantastic life!
I am afraid the Irish rabbit forum is not as busy as this one and people post rather infrequently. Some rescue people do post occasionally and it's no harm staying in touch.:clover:

I decided that I'd just stick with Mochi for now and keep an eye on that forum. Maybe a rabbit who really needs to be his friend will come along when the time is right :)

Latest posts

Back