A Reintroduction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeposten

Reaction score
A few of you may remember me for a few monthsback. I was a pretty active poster over the summer and in the earlyfall, but then I started Vet Tech school and things got pretty hectic.I tried to start posting againg over my winter break, but school pickedup after that and I disappeared. Well, lately I've had a lot ofexciting things going on in my life (some rabbit related, some not) andI realized how much I missed sharing part of my life with everyone hereon RO. With that said, here's my reintroduction (or an update for thoseof you who know me).

Hello, everyone! My name is Amy, I'm 21 years old, and I'm studying tobecome a veterinary technician. I have a bonded pair of neutered malerabbits (yes! they are now bonded!, more on that later) Oswald (11months) and Alfred (3 years).

Oswald is my first rabbit. He came from a pet store and when I got himI knew next to nothing about rabbits (that is how I found RO back inJune).
Here is a very recent picture of Oswald:
IMG_0117.JPG

Alfred is my second rabbit. He came to live with me in August. Iadopted him from the Animal Rescue League of Western Pennsylvania(where I now volunteer regularly). Alfred was born with congenitalmalocclusion of the upper and lower incisors. For those of you notfamiliar with this condition it occurs congenitally due to a deformityof the jaw or of the teeth themselves. I was having Alfred's teethtrimmed monthly, and was trying to decide if surgery was the rightoption for him. Well, you'll be excited to hear that last week Alfredhad his surgery and his progress has been AMAZING! He is now eating anddrinking without difficulty and he can enjoy all of his favoritefruits, greens, and veggies without and trouble! He also has noproblems grooming. It's been absolutely amazing. Here are some photosof Alfred post op:
IMG_0139.JPG

A view of Alfred's adorable bunny face. And check out his new smile! This picture was taken only ONE DAY after his surgery!
IMG_0166.JPG

Here is one of Alfred that I took yesterday. He was trying to steal a piece of pear from my boyfriend's plate.

Oh, and as for bonding, after many months (since October) of trying I'll let the picture speak for itself.
IMG_0160.JPG

Here's a picture of Oswald giving Alfred a kiss. My boyfriend says thatthey are "hetero life mates" just like Jay and Silent Bob (of KevinSmith movie fame).

Well, that's all for now. I'll be spending the next few hours trying tocatch up with things here on RO, replying to posts, and maybe evenupdating my bunny blog.

It's awesome to be back!

-Amy
P.S. Sorry for any spelling and/or grammatical errors.

:welcome2Amy! I've missed hearing about you and the boys!

How cool that they are bonded, a beautiful pair I must say!

I'm so pleased that Alfred's surgery was a success, gosh his life willbe so much easier now, I think you can see his happiness through thepictures.

Again it's so good to have you back:D, you'll have trouble catching up, hehe I have trouble catching up if I miss a day!:shock:

Michaela:), Ebony:bunny5, Pebble:anotherbun and Maddie:bunny16

YAY!! Welcome back, Amy!! You were missed!! :D

I'm so happy to hear your boys are so happy and healthy! I missed hearing about them!

Can't wait to hear even more...

Love and hugs,

Rosie and the Gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Yay! Im so happy for you that things seem to be going so well. Its so great to see those two boys again (and bonded!).

Im glad you decided to have the surgery. Max's went well too. Itsamazing how relieved they are to not have those teeth in the way. DoesAlfred eat hay? Im trying to get Max to eat more, but he doesnt seemtoo interested.

Im soyou guys areback!:hug:

Haley- Alfred never ate much hay, I think it wasprobably because his teeth were so in the way. Don't get me wrong, hedid eat it, but I had to cut it up into small pieces.

Since his surgery his hay eating habits have stayed about the same. I'mstill cutting it up for him, in hopes that it will get him to eat more.I think that maybe his gums are still a little sore, as his surgery wasonly about a week ago (Actually, looking at my calendar, it was only 4days ago, Tuesday the 3rd of April), and he only stopped the pain medstoday. Maybe it's just too pointy and dry? I'm going to give it anotherday or two then maybe I'll try spraying it with water to soften it. Iwouldn't leave it out for very long like that though, because themoisture might attract bacteria.

Alfred has been eating everything else though. Lots of pellets, freshgreens, and the occasional fruits and veggies. I still have to cut theharder things (fruits and veggies) into small pieces though, because hedoesn't have the front teeth to break them apart.

I'd love any tips and ideas that you have as far as feeding/food choices for bunnies without incisors.

-Amy
(I'll post this answer in your bunny blog too)

Yeah, Max is/was the same way. He had prettymuch stopped eating it before (mostly because he was in so much painfrom the jaw abscess) so now Im cutting it up and he eatsalittle but not much. Naturestee said there is a pure hay pellet you canbuy, but Im afraid that would be more trouble trying to get Basil tostay away from it :)

Im glad Alfred is eating lots of veggies. Max is the same. I just haveto cut things up small so he can grab it with his lips. He had lost apound before the surgery so its good to see him gobbling up the food :)

Amy! Hey! Haven't seen you in so long. Glad to see you back! Welcome back!

:hug:.

Sounds like everything is going pretty well. :)

Another Amy who is 21! Small world! :)

Oswald and Alfred are beautiful bunnies! That's so sweet how they've bonded, that picture is priceless!

Oh yay! I've missed you Amy!I'm so glad you got the surgery for Alfred- he looks like he's doinggreat! He and his hetero life mate are soooo cutetogether. ( I love Jay and Silent Bob.)

Fey and Sprite would like more pictures please, they love Alfred!

Latest posts

Back