A question for outdoor bunny owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
My bunnies used to be outdoors most of the day (weather permitting), coming inside for the night. Despite huge propaganda against keeping pet rabbits outdoors, I admit there are lots of benefits when they are in a natural environment. (it's not even a question for me that sunshine, etc is good for them. I can't imagine that I could live my whole life and never been taken outdoors at all. I would be very depressed)
At this moment, I have only one bunny left (he just lost his companion) who is not in his best shape. Its very hot where I live, so I limit his outdoor time to about 2-3 hrs in the early morning (6 to 9am) when its under 80F. He is being treated with Revolution at least every 4 weeks for parasites prevention. I can tell that this outdoor time is good for his well-being (he seems to be happy to be back to what used to be their habitat when other bunnies were around)
However... i just read a thread about tularemia and it freaks me out. Not even this disease but in general - there is so many dangers here because of the hot climate and lots of dangerous insects that result.
Those who have bunnies outdoors in US - do you feel relatively safe?

Last edited:
I feel mine are relatively safe. I'm honestly more worried about heat strokes. We practically didn't even have Spring this year where I live. It went from 32 degrees to 88 degrees.

At least once a week I have an inspection of their ears and comb out their fur really good. If you inspect them regularly and pay attention to their behaviour for any changes, you should be good.

There is always a risk of something bad happening in the outdoors but I agree with you that making sure they are getting some sunshine every day outweighs the risks of a depressed bunny without sunshine and grass and getting some dirt between their toes.

Here lately I've been keeping a closer watch on their playtime because of a big hawk I've seen looming from a distance. Threats from other animals and are also one of my bigger worries.

I agree that there is a lot of propaganda going on about some things. The responses and advice given in some situations are not always helpful. I've needed help with a question before and somehow the discussion has got way off-topic with propaganda or condescension about things totally unrelated to my question.

Sometimes you have to raise your bunny the best way you know how and not worry about what other people think about it. When it comes down to it, you're the one spending precious time and effort to give them the love and care and attention they need. Whenever I've made a mistake, it has just taught me how to be a better bunny mama than I was before the mistake.

Hope your buns stay happy and healthy :) do the best you know how for them and always be open to learn and change if needed without beating yourself up if something bad happens. Chances are that they will have lived a MUCH safer, healthier and happier life with you taking care of them compared to them being on their own in the wild full of predators. I know mine wouldn't make it 24 hours on their own where I live because neighbors let their cats & dogs run lose everywhere, speeding traffic, the popularity of hunting rabbits in the mountains, owls, hawks, not to mention mountain lions and bobcats that frequent the area at night. It's not uncommon here to hear about someone's whole litter of cats or baby chickens being slaughtered in the night. So far mine have lived safe and healthy being outdoors. I made sure we built a good sturdy hutch for them.

I've read in books before about how rabbits grooming and maintenancing their fur increases the chances of them not getting diseases as well as having had their mother's milk as a baby. Sometimes researching and reading books eases fears about things that get hyped up over on the internet.

Latest posts

Back