A list of questions ( only if anyone has time ) X

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraBerridge

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m really really sorry for all these questions, but if anyone could answer just a few of them even, I would massively massively appreciate it! I’ve googled a lot of my questions but can’t really find any definitive answers for these! I’ve been writing this for a while so hopefully I’ve not missed anything out! Thanks in advance, like I said before this community has been INVALUABLE to me already! Like I say, no worries of no one has time or anything, just any answers to any of these would really help me! ❤️

Are Yoga Blocks safe to put in the cage? I thought she’d like the soft spongy ness of it and she can climb on it?
  1. Is it ok just to have fleece and cotton towels as the bottom of the cage, rather than sawdust and things?
  2. Does clicker training work? And if so can the rewards be raisins?
  3. How often can I give her carrots?
  4. Does she need a bed with a roof or can I get her a fleece bed?
  5. Are twigs and sticks collected from the park safe for her?
  6. How high do the sides of the cage need to be so she can’t jump out at night?
  7. Are pet ear wipes suitable for cleaning their ears?
  8. Is it a good idea to put a mirror in the cage? Or would it be too confusing / damaging?
  9. How often should I take my rabbit to the vets to have her nails cut? ( I’m too scared to do it myself)
  10. Is there everything I can put in her cage to help naturally keep her nails short?
  11. What are the best small treats to use for training? Are raisins ok?
  12. Are fragrance free baby wipes safe to use just in case she gets a mucky bum / ears etc?
  13. Can you use emery boards on a rabbit claws to keep them down a bit? Like I say I know this so many questions, but if anyone could help it would be unbelievably appreciated!!

Xxxx Laura

I hope the answers will help you a bit ☺

1) Use fleece and if your bunny aren’t a chewer, a towel will work.

2) Clicker training works, use the daily pellets and veggies as rewards instead. I have never fed my bunnies raisins.

3) Once twice during the week and it shouldn’t be a whole carrot, just a small bit chopped.

4) My bunnies pee on really soft beds, so I just use fleece blankets.

5) Depends on the park, myself pluck twigs from the park, neighbours and forest when they trim. You just need to know if they use any chemicals.

6) Better put a sheet roof over, some bunnies climb and my holland lop easily jump 1,1 m if jumping don’t work he will climb while my Netherland dwarf jump 60 cm or try to find a small hole. If the head go through he’s out.

7) Never cleaned my bunnies ears but I watch if they get wax. If they get wax I buy ear drops and clean the ears.

8) Better put a teddy bear, they can sleep with it and groom.

9) I trim my bunnies nails every month.

10) Not what I know of, outdoor bunnies naturally wear down their claws than indoor bunnies. So I don’t need to trim the outdoor bunnies as often as my indoor. But I still do every month.

11) Look at answer 2 😋

12) Just use a wet towel, it works better and better for the enviroment.

13) If your bunny it’s still enough for you to use it, it will work. myself use it after trimming to make the nails not so sharp 🤣

Hello!
I would say yoga blocks are safe as long as she doesn’t chew and eat them.

1. Fleece and towels are safe to put in the bottom of the cage.

2. Rabbits can be clicker trained, and grapes can be used but because they are sweet, they will need to be used in moderation. I use Pellets when training Apollo.

3. You can feed a small amount of fruit once a day. But some rabbits just don’t like carrots. My own will not eat them. He prefers banana.

4. I have a fleece bed. But a rabbit should have at least one place to hide in their enclosure.

5. A list of rabbit safe twigs:What Kinds of Wood Do Rabbits Like to Chew?

6. Cages usually have tops but if your getting an xpen, at least 3ft but some rabbits can jump over that.

7. Rabbits are very clean, they don’t need to be cleaned but in the instance that they do, a warm, damp paper towel or cotton flannel will do.

8. I wouldn’t put a mirror inside.

9. Apollo gets his nails cut by the vet every three months.

10. I wouldn’t put anything in her cage to keep her nails down. But outdoor rabbits usually claw on concrete to get their nails down.

11. I use pellets for training.

12. A healthy rabbit won’t get mucky ears or bum.

13. I’m not sure...

You sound like me before I get a new pet -- doing all kinds of research!

You've gotten good answers already with some minor variances just because each rabbit is unique. What works for one rabbit won't necessarily work for another. Some rabbits will chew holes in fleece or towels. Some will also ingest what they are chewing. Ingesting parts of towels is dangerous as the threads can get tangled in their gut. Fleece does not have threads which is why it is used often with small pets. It will be a matter of trying it out to see if either or both work with your rabbit.

Raisins, carrots, fruit, craisins are all considered treats only. I don't recommend giving treats to a rabbit until they are old enough to be introduced to greens and have adjusted to a diet that includes daily greens. After that, they can have 1-2 tbsp. worth of treats per day. Some rabbit tummies won't tolerate that much, but others will beg for more and more.🤤 With treats being so limited, they don't work too great for training. Young rabbits can be hand-fed pellets as rewards. Rabbits used to greens can be offered a favored green as a reward.

I'd also like to offer my website as a resource for you. It should answer many of your questions (and perhaps answer some questions you haven't yet thought of). The site, imo, is more user friendly in the desktop version. The way it converts to mobile viewing isn't so great.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited:
Oh thank you SO much!!! That’s all brilliant! I’m going to go check out your website now, thanks so much for everything! Xxx

Other people have already answered you on this (and I agree with them), but I thought I should share my opinion too just for fun and because I am bored.
  1. I would not use yoga blocks because you do not want her to eat them. Puzzle floor mats would be a better option just don't allow your rabbit to chew them.
  2. You can use towels (fleece can give sore hocks) or puzzle mats for a soft flooring option. If you have sawdust everywhere it confuses them on where to use the bathroom. You only need pine pellets/paper pellets in the litter box.
  3. Clicker training does work with some rabbits (not Theo 😔), but I prefer to reward them with pellets instead of treats just like Apollo's Slave. I have given Theo raisins and he loves them.
  4. Twice a week you can give a small amount. Theo doesn't get carrots because he doesn't like them, just like Apollo (Apollo’s Slave's rabbit).
  5. Some rabbits like hidey houses, which can be a cardboard box with a hole in it. Theo has a hidey house and then he has a towel bed. He prefers the towel to sleep on.
  6. If they have not been sprayed and you know what type of tree it is then it is safe. Using the app "Picture This" can help you out. It takes a picture of the leaf and identifies the plant for you.
  7. 3 feet, but make sure there are no boxes she can get on and hop over. Some rabbits will climb so if that is the case put a sheet over the top.
  8. I would use a damp q-tip to clean Theo's ears if he ever had an issue, but he never has.
  9. I wouldn't put a mirror in the cage because they might attack it and it fall and break and injure the rabbit.
  10. I used to be scared, but I am not anymore after watching these videos. Theo gets his nails clipped every month or as needed.
  11. Concrete works great.
  12. Raisins are ok, but I use pellets.
  13. I would consult a vet if you have any issues with this sort of thing because normally rabbits do not have any issues like this.
  14. I agree with Hermelin, If you want to smooth them then yes. It should not be used to file down a lot just the edges.

1. Is it ok just to have fleece and cotton towels as the bottom of the cage, rather than sawdust and things?
    Honestly, I wouldn't use fleece or towels at the bottom of the cage. Rabbits like to eat things, and with any of my rabbits, those wouldn't last long. Besides, fleece gets absolutely nasty if it gets urine on it. I prefer using pine pellets; sold for horse stall bedding or for wood stoves.

2. Does clicker training work? And if so can the rewards be raisins?
    Clicker training can work with some rabbits, but they aren't as responsive to it as some other species (eg, dogs, cats, birds). Raisins aren't very healthy for rabbits (not as unhealthy as they are for dogs or cats). I like to feed Black Oil Sunflower Seeds as a treat for training - unlike normal sunflower seeds they have thin, easily digestible shells, the rabbits love them, the oils in them contribute to a healthy coat, and they can be bought for a decent price in bulk (in wild bird food sections)

3. How often can I give her carrots?
    Honestly, most the rabbits I've seen don't like carrots. None of mine ever eat any. I wouldn't give little pieces of carrot more than twice a week, as carrots are relatively high in sugar.

4. Does she need a bed with a roof or can I get her a fleece bed?
    Out of the two, I think they'd like a bed with a roof more. Rabbits like hiding a lot sometimes; they live underground naturally.

5. Are twigs and sticks collected from the park safe for her?
    Usually yes; just wash them off first.

6. How high do the sides of the cage need to be so she can’t jump out at night?
    I wouldn't go any less than four feet, and even then I'd feel safer with a cover on the top of the cage. Rabbits can jump quite well; I've had some rabbits clear 3-4 foot fences.

7. Are pet ear wipes suitable for cleaning their ears?
    I have never cleaned my rabbits ears and they've never had a problem.

8. Is it a good idea to put a mirror in the cage? Or would it be too confusing / damaging?
    I haven't had rabbits that seem interested in a mirror. They've mostly ignored it. I don't think it would hurt or help if they had a mirror in their cage.

9. How often should I take my rabbit to the vets to have her nails cut? ( I’m too scared to do it myself)
    You should really try to learn to do it yourself. It's not very difficult, and can save your rabbit a trip to the vet (most rabbits don't like travelling). I usually trim mine every month, or every two months at most.

10. Is there everything I can put in her cage to help naturally keep her nails short?
    No

11. What are the best small treats to use for training? Are raisins ok?
    Black oil sunflower seeds (as mentioned above). Sometimes I also give small amounts of oats (uncooked old fashioned oatmeal).

12. Are fragrance free baby wipes safe to use just in case she gets a mucky bum / ears etc?
    She really shouldn't get messy ears unless there is a bigger problem like ear mites. She shouldn't get a messy butt either unless she has problems with her diet (diet changes, or too much sugars and not enough fiber). I've not had a rabbit get a messy butt in ten years. But if you need to those would probably work.

13. Can you use emery boards on a rabbit claws to keep them down a bit? Like I say I know this so many questions, but if anyone could help it would be unbelievably appreciated!!
    I know some people who have done that, but honestly I would not. Trimming nails can be stressful to the rabbit so I try to get it over as quick as possible, and nail trimmers are quicker than a nail file.

1. Yes. I let my tiny one sleep in towels/fleece blankets. 2. Never tried it. But try things everyday without the clicker. My tino learn "come" and to give kisses in two days each. They are very smart as long as you have the patience. 3. Raisins are okay. Alot of sugar so cant feed them many AT ALL if you are trying to train them. 4 carrots should only be given 2-4 times a week. Watch stool the more you give. If it gets soft or comes out in logs, dial it back..that goes for every fruit or veggie. Usually 2-3 or 2-4 times a week. 5. Yes. But aswell as the bottom of the cage, you will have to wash every 2-3days. Any material put in their cage NEEDS to be cleaned on a regular basis. 6. My little boy loves going into the park. But google safe wood types incase your park differs from mine. 7. The sides of the habitat myself and my dad made are 2 ft at the moment. Mine is six months old and doesnt realise he can scale them yet. But thinking will need to build a roof as soon as he learns he can scale them. Still waiting though. 8. Mirror in cage, depends on angle and how they react to it when placed by them. Angle, because bunnies do NOT like bright lights. So if its shining the light from anywhere into its eyes, it will not go near it. 9. Dont be scared. Tbh I was mortified to cut my rabbits nails the first time. But laid him on his back in between my legs and squeezed *gently* just so he couldnt wiggle out from between them, and at first I used a nail file. He HATED it. But their nails are delicate enough that you can use people nail clippers if you are unsure of where to cut to, take a flash light, put it up to the side of one, and you will see the white cuticle where if you cut that far they will bleed. If you cant see with the flashlight, take a tiny bit off at the tip and then nail file them round. If still scared.. take to vet and ASK to watch as they do it. It doesnt seem so scary if you try just little by little though! 10. A brand named Higgins makes "sunburst fruit" which comes in pretty sliced and diced pieces. But if you want to use regularily you can cut them down even more. Aswell as different nuts that are acceptable to rabbits. Some can be cut down and used for treats. 11. I use "Kleenex" brand wet wipes "gentle clean" which are the blue package with plastic snap top on the front of the bag. They are alcohol free, no harsh chemicals and dont effect his nether regions.
Not sure about Emery board.. and the ear cleaning. I have never done it and he doesnt have any issues. But I would say dont try to clean them if he has issues with his ears you'll see the signs and then take him to the vet. They will give you antibacterial stuff to use and give you PROPER instructions on how to help, rather than harm.
GOODLUCK! Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back