A lion and a lop... Tucker&GusGus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stubbie ALWAYS has bones, literally there are like 6 always sitting around my house, that he only cares about when Tinka wants them!

Lol Stubbie! Of course when Tinka wants to chew on thennnn he wants to chew on it. Silly dawgies!!!!! :3

We have a girl called Maya, if you give her a rawhide she'll walk around trying to find a place she wants to be, then she just sorta've sits there awkwardly, she doesn't eat the bone but nobody's allowed to touch it.

Ooh, tonight was so nice.. I hate that the nights always fly by. I got out of work late because the doctor I was running got done late. Then, I just had to go pick up Zuchinni at the grocery store, and ended up buying more than I should've, but ended up getting home a lot later than I had wanted to. When I got home the first thing I did was start making the zucchini fries that Morgan had wrote about :) I also bought some corn on the cob, and we had marinated some steak tips.. we also wanted to enjoy our new patio set. Even though it wasn't that warm out, we ate outside at our new set that Mike's (other half) Aunt gave us just last night. We didn't get home 'til late from picking that up.. it is nice, and we were looking for one anyways, we just can't afford a brand new one. This works out perfectly.

Tucker has been weird to me today, I think he's upset with me for some reason, and I can't quite figure it out. When I went in to give the boys some veggies he turned his back to me and then went in his cage and hid underneath his shelf. He usually never hides from me.. but I thought maybe he just wanted to spend some time with me. So I sat in his side of the room and hung with him while I watched a T.V show, and he seemed to like it, but he was still acting a little strange. I gave him even KALE and he wouldn't really touch it. I honestly think he's upset with me, he was eating his hay though, and he did end up eating most of his veggies, but I think he's giving me the cold shoulder. He also didn't even eat his piece of carrot I gave him this morning :\ I'm gunna keep an eye on him, obviously but I think he'll be just fine.

GusGus is kind of weird, too, he is still getting acquainted to me, but he has been doing a lot better. The thing that is strange with him is, I feel like he'd rather be in his cage. We open his cage to let him romp around his side of the room and he usually stays in his cage, and I find that so strange. It might be because he's so used to being in his cage, but you'd think he'd be so excited for freedom? Eventually he DOES get out and sometimes he cracks me up with how silly he can be. Infact I have some videos for you :) Just excuse the mess of hay everywhere, haha.

http://youtu.be/ruQvy2SP4-M

[ame]http://youtu.be/MpHUIFwzQtM[/ame]

That was my first time catching Gus doing a good binky on camera.. he was being a crazy boy tonight so I was trying actually really hard to get a video of it, I hope you guys liked it, I am cracking up here still, haha.

Tomorrow is gunna be such a lame day at work, not looking forward to it. :| I wish I could spend more time with my boys tonight.. I want GusGus to trust me more.. and Tucker to love me haha.

Last edited:
Haha, that was a crazy popcorn hop Gus did :) He looks really happy. Tucker looks like he's still trying to figure out this whole new bunny invader thing. I'm sure he'll get used to it and they'll be best of buddies.

Definitely keep an eye on Tucker. Sometimes people attribute a rabbit's uncharacteristic behavior, to just being moody, when in reality it may be a GI upset that is causing the change of behavior. Whenever my rabbits won't eat their normal foods, that's always a possible warning sign for me. If you notice him acting this way again, check him for signs of gas, and see if his stomach feels normal. I had a rabbit that would start to act a little off after eating his pellets, so I knew they were causing some stomach upset for him.

I think maybe GusGus feels like his cage is his safe place.He's in a newer place, lots of space that he's not real sure of. Love the video! Those binkies were so cute, and Tucker running along the pen lol. :)

Yeah, the thing that is weird about GusGus is that his cage is also new to him, really. I was so happy to see Gusgus hopping around happily. Tucker pretty much for the most part behaves himself, too. :) Right now we're sitting on the porch... Tucker & I... and he's a little nervous with all the sounds, but he has cleaned himself a couple of times, so I think he's getting comfy, he just won't leave that one place.. I want him to hop around and check the place out. ;P I was too lazy to bring the pen to the backyard tonight. I gotta bring Gus out soon, before it gets too dark. I left them out today all day in their pens, because my boyfriend was home from work -- so he could keep checking up on them. No escapes! Yay! I think the first night that Tuck got to the other side was because I placed the castle/igloo right next to his pen to see if he'd hop it.. it was more of a test. :| And I failed. Tucker 1 Danielle 0.

P.S Even last night Tucker WAS eating; he was eating his hay, and he was eating some of his veggies. As soon as I left the room he ate all his veggies. This morning I gave him a piece of broccoli (which he loves) and some red leaf lettuce, and he nibbled the broccoli, but didn't finish it infront of me, when he usually does. But that's okay, he did eat it up while I was at work, but there is still some leaf lettuce left. He has been pooping & peeing just fine :)

I also wanted to let you guys know, too, that I've never been much of a gardener. But this is my first spring in our new house, so I decided that I want to grow catnip for the kitties, but also grow some veggies and herbs for my bunny-boys, and maybe I can also eat some of the lettuces, too. So I am growing spinach, arugula, escarole, cilantro, parsley, swiss chard, red leaf lettuce, sage, and I'll have to check but some other stuff too.. oh yeah & carrots! haha. I am growing a bunch of things. I am so excited, right now they're in in potted plant things because I am unsure of where I wanna plant them in my yard yet, it's hard because of my dogs.

I have a garden with tomatoes, squash, strawberries, green beans and peppers. Then a black raspberry bush and a blueberry bush. Originally when I was going to do a big garden, I was going to add in all the herbs and stuff, but time got away from me and I didn't clear the field out in time to turn the ground. So a small garden is what I got. haha.
BUT I am going to put basil and bay around my chicken coops to ward off the flies, and Ellie can eat basil. I also have 2 lavender bushes that I planted this year and she can have lavender too.
I do more flowers than anything, I'm better with flowers.

Good luck with your garden, its exciting to make things grow like that! I love gardening whether it be flowers or food, its peaceful and calming to me.

Ugh, I just typed a whole bunch out, and when I hit backspace to delete something it took me out of the page & I lost everything.. wah :(

Anyways, I was trying to say how excited I am about the plants.. & that I probably should've researched a little more. I have to find a place to put them in the ground that animals won't get to, because I do have carrots and summer squash. I bought some seeds to start, but also bought some already growing plants & I'm so unsure of things such as 1) when do I pick them? 2) Things such as parsley, once I pick it, thats it right? How do you know when it's DONE? Ugggh haha. I need to research. But then the exciting thing is my "seedlings" have sprung, like OVERNIGHT. It's exciting, but also nerve-wracking because I probably will end up killing them all anyways. haha

plants1.jpg

Last edited:
I think you can trim the parsley and herbs and they'll regrow until they die off. They're not long lasting herbs. As for the squash, I usually pick mine on the smaller size so they're not so full of seeds. Just pick those when they're the right size to you.
Are you putting your little seedlings in the sun, in their box?

I just grew some green beans in toilet paper tubes on my table in the backyard. Next year if you have a garden, you don't have to get one of those trays unless you want one, toilet paper rolls are biodegradable and they work the same as those biodegradable pots that the veggies come in!

This morning when I woke up, I kept hitting snooze (as usual) but the last time I hit snooze I heard some noise in the bunny room & I just KNEW what it was. I KNEW Tucker got over the pen again (SOMEHOW). I ran into the room & there they were in GusGus' cage, and Gus was humping the (excuse my language) crap out of Tucker! I really am not sure HOW he is getting through. I have another GUESS though.. I think he may have squeeze behind Gus' cage and the wall(?) It's a possibility... Here I am .. sitting at Tucker 2 and Danielle 0. (Gus is really happy to get some humping action, I think, so he's probably beating us all!) The weirdest thing is... when I go in there I always catch GUS humping TUCKER, but I find little puff's of hair in Tucker's mouth because he obviously was humping Gus and sometimes I find it hanging around, not a lot. And neither of them have cuts or anything on them. They're both fine.. ugh I can't deal with keeping them in their cages constantly, I feel horrible about it! So hopefully I can figure something out to keep them seperate for the next couple of weeks until I can start bonding them. :\ Stressed to the max about this. The thing is, too, I was just saying how confident I felt because they were out ALL day yesterday & there were no escapes! Well.. Tucker just was waiting 'til he knew we wouldn't be checking on him every half hour! He is one smart creature. He couldn't have been on Gus' side long though, because he still had a bunch of poop & pee in his litter box on his side, which would mean that he was in there pretty long! I'm just so glad that they didn't hurt one another, I am so scared of that happening.. like going in there & seeing blood or anything anywhere.. and of course Tucker is so much smaller it scares me. :\ But I've been lucky. I am just going to have to keep locking them up when I'm not home and they'll have their time to roam while I'm home & can either a)hang with them or b)keep checking on them.

I wanted to share this picture with you, too... the other night when Gus was binkying and being crazy, he went into his cage and did a cute bunny flop! I was so inlove with it, haha. I got a picture, but it was through the bars of the cage, because I was on Tucker's side and I knew if I waited too long he'd move out of the pose, of course.

null_zpse2a5077a.jpg

Also, not sure if you guys realized, there was a link to one video and then the other video showed up.. not sure why the first one didn't, but didn't want you guys to miss out on the first video, too haha. (I love showing off my babies, obviously) Sorry if it's too much haha. I just know I love to see pictures of everyone elses' bunnies :D

I also finally caught my curious Tucker doing a periscope :B
null_zpsf4f0c3e3.jpg

Isn't he just the cutest?? :)

Yesterday while we were hanging out on the porch, Tucker was being a little scardy cat, but he eventually got a little more comfy, but he didn't actually explore too much. I don't blame him though, there were all kinds of noises, my dogs barking at other dogs walking by, kids playing catch, etc.. and cars! and trucks of course! I give him credit, he did pretty good.

null_zps4af26fe6.jpg

Gus on the other hand, was very very good. I mean he was still a little scared, more when there was a real loud noise, like a loud car or a truck, or a motorcycle going by, but he did really really well.. he hopped around the whole porch and explored. I was proud of him! He was sniffing everywhere he ended up getting cob webs and some leaves stuck in his whiskers, haha!

null_zps86d0de3a.jpg

Gus of course isn't a big fan of being picked up. ): So it's hard for me to catch him without him being mad at me, and I feel so bad, but I mean if he deals with it once he's picked up, it should be okay right? How do you handle a bunny that doesn't like being picked up? Sometimes I have to like herd him into an area he is easy to "pick up" but usually he tries getting away & fights me, but once I have him to my chest he does okay for a little (though I'm always scared he'll bite me) haha.. but I always feel bad that I have to like 'trick' him. Any advice on that would be great. I've been trying to just sit in their pens and talk to them, but usually when I do, Gus stays in his cage or stays away from me and could care less about what I'm doing or spending ANY time with me. He's like anti-social, although when I come in the room he usually runs right up to my feet.. but when I pet him he hops away fast! I hate that .. I just want him to want cuddles and lovings!! Because I just wanna cuddle & love on him. Obviously if he just WON'T be that bunny then I will accept that..
Nail clipping should be fun, though.. ughhh.

Would your animals get into a raised garden box? With squash I think you wait until like fall to pick it....and parsley, you don't pick the whole plant, it's like basil you take as much as you need and the leaves will grow back. Gosh those two are just so cute!! I haven't been able to get one of my Smokey periscoping yet but someday....And it doesn't really help to be scared that Gus will nip you(which I highly doubt he would) as animals pick up on your emotions and this might cause Gus to also become scared, holding him be very calm stroke him gently and show him there's nothing to be afraid of, and sitting in the pen is a good idea, he may be ignoring you a bit now but just be patient and it will probably work, and since he's still pretty new he's just got to get used to you, I mean it's like if you were going to an aunts house and you didn't really know her at all you probably wouldn't want to be hugged that much right? :D

Last edited:
I just read through your blog.

Your plants look great! I'm going to be growing a garden. But, I haven't planted anything yet. We have to plant around May 14th because of danger of frost. I'd like to grow Ash some vegetable like Cilantro and celery. For myself I'd like to grow some watermelons. I'm going to grow a huge kind of watermelon called carolina cross. There are records of it growing to 290 pounds. Usually people get 70 pound watermelons. Hopefully I'll get some giants this year. I'd also like to grow corn and tomatoes. And some other fruits. I love growing gardens so I can't wait to start planting.

Wow, I can't believe Tucker got into GusGus' pen. At least there was no agression.

I loved the new pictures. I love the picture of Gus flopped out. He is such a cutie. And the picture of Tucker periscoping was cute! He is so cute! I love his furry little face. I took Ash out on the porch like two days ago it was going to rain that day and I took him out before it started raining. Anyway, Ash was acting scared outside too. I think it may have been that he knew that bad weather was coming. I've read stories of animals acting weird when bad weather was about to come.

Ash isn't a big fan of being picked up either, I mean he will let me pick him up but after a while he kicks his legs a little bit. Maybe after Gus gets to know you more he will let you snuggle him and let you pick him up more. Also, a tip, maybe you can try luring him with treats to the place you want him to go. Hopefully after time he will let you pick him up though.

Anyway good luck!

I know that animals can sense when you're scared, I'm not like really scared or anything; it's just when I hold him up against me I'm a little bit afraid he'll bite me, but thats usually when he's the best about the whole picking up process. Once he's laid against me he's fine, but I'M the one worried he'll bite me. because when hes been "stressed" or whatever he has bit me.. twice already. Nothing bad or anything, but enough that I don't want it again! Haha, though I guess that doesn't take much anyways. But he's pretty good, it's just a matter of "catching" him.. and most of the time he fights & kicks his way out of my arms, (obviously I just place him down before I lose grip or anything). I wouldn't be afraid of him nipping me unless he has done it before, and he has! haha.

Also, I have two dogs, they'll get into ANYTHING, haha.

Morgan, thanks for the great advice, too. I read that the seedlings AREN'T supposed to be in the sun, just by the window, not in direct sunlight, but in a warm environment. Next year I'll probably try the toilet paper rolls, this has just been my first time growing EVERRR haha. Do you need a bottom for the rolls though? I wanna actually plant some more arugula seeds.

Hey Elise! Thanks for coming to my blog :) The more the merrier! haha.
I'm interested to hear how your watermelon growing goes. I really didn't grow too much for me, I was trying to grow more things for the bunnies, but the leafy things of course will come in handy for me, too. :) Good luck w/ your garden! I have 0 experience haha.

Yeah, this is the SECOND time Tucker has gotten out and into Gus' side of the room... that sneaky little devil. I'm so GLAD that nothing happened.
Thanks for the compliments on my cuuuute bunnies, I honestly may be biased but I think they're just simply ADORABLEEEE xoxo. (Ash is, too of course!) I think they may know when bad weather is coming & maybe they sense it, but I think Tuck was more nervous because it is a brand new environment for him. It was only his like 3rd time outside so far, and that's because I got him in Feb. and it's been too cold out for my little lion.. now it's getting warmer out. So it's only been his 3rd time outside and only his first on the porch :D He did pretty well I think !

Usually he's WICKED easy to get in his cage, but I want to be able to take him on the porch and stuff, I know Katie uses carriers to transport her babies. I may have to start doing that with GusGus.

What I did, was I used the bottom of those plastic pots that you get flowers in. I cut 2 square ones down to like 2 inches, they both fit 4 TP rolls in them. I put potting soil in them and the plastic pot bottoms caught the loose soil and they still drain the water. My seeds have been outside for 2 weeks, they've done fine. BUT it has been overcast a lot of those two weeks, so it may have made a difference since they haven't been in total direct sunlight.
I think you are right though about the seedlings not being in direct sunlight. I don't always follow directions though! LOL

You'll have to give Gus more time to adjust! He'll come around or he won't. Sometimes they aren't very lovey, like Ellie. She would much rather chew through my walls than sit and love on me. She's ridiculous. But hopefully Gus will come around as he spends more time with you. He's flopping in front of you and cleaning himself in front of you, so he's getting more comfortable. Ellie JUST started to stay flopped in the floor when I walk in.

If you could take Gus to a smaller area, like a bathroom, or maybe your porch if it isn't too big, or inside an xpen, then sit with him and just let hm hop around and explore. Don't even try to pet or touch him unless he comes up to you and seems very interested in you, then you could let him smell your hand, and even try and pet him if he seems ok with your hand near him. Doing it in a smaller area with no hiding places, makes it so that he has to get used to you being there, since he can't just go and hideout somewhere.

Picking him up is just something that he'll have to get used to, since it's a necessary thing. You can try different ways of doing it, or holding him, that he seems the most comfortable with, but every rabbit is different in which ways of holding they feel most comfortable with. My really wiggly ones I'll hold firmly against me so they can't wiggle and accidently squirm free. I will even hold my hand over their eyes to help calm them down, if I need to.

Well, since your boys are bound and determined to be with each other, and seem ok except for some humping, you may be able to try a play date with them, maybe on the porch or outside. I let some of my boys play together. They're brothers, so they are used to each other, and get along pretty well, but they do less humping and get along better when I give them more space to hop around. Inside they just run around and try and hump each other, so I don't let them play together inside anymore, but outside they are too busy exploring to bother much with the humping. So since your two have already been together and haven't killed each other, playdates may work out fine for them. You could try one and see how it goes. If all they want to do is hump each other, then there's not much sense in doing another playdate, and you'd be better off waiting a few more weeks for the hormones to subside. But with tucker being nervous about the porch, it might help them bond a little to be there together, and may help Tucker feel more comfortable being there, with Gus near.

Last edited:
Those sneaky buns! Yeah buster and Phoebe are pros at wiggling behind the cage. You could find like a brick or some kind of concrete block to push in front if the cage so it will be too heavy for him to wiggle behind.
Love the pictures!!!! :D too cute!
Have you started switching bowls, toys, litter boxes, and cages yet?
Yeah I like to put em in their carriers so that Buster (aka wriggly butt, escape artist, lil butthead!) will not and can not get away muahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

When I take Ellie outside, I put her in a box. haha. Its her house box thing, so she knows it. I wait for her to go in it or I scoop her into it and flip it over and close the top and take her outside and open it and she's out! haha. Then at night when I go to get her to put her inside, I do the same and scoop her up into the box and take her back inside. LOL
One evening I walked back inside with her in the box and she was scratching around. My husband walked in the kitchen and stopped me as I was closing the door with the box under my arm and was like "ohmygod, did you catch a wild animal? Wtf is in that box?" I was like "whoa, unbunch your panties, its ELLIE!" He was like, "well, she was scratching around a lot and I thought it was something wild. But I guess we're both right since Ellie is wild." hahaha. It was so funny! He's a crazy person.

Latest posts

Back