A Kid Named Kaelum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
I decided to start a new blog since my other one was so old, and mainly situated around my rabbitry. Now that I'm no longer breeding, and only have 3 rabbits (2 left to rehome), I figured a new blog for my Holland Lop was in order!

Here's a bit about Kaelum:
Kaelum was born August 4th, 2011, which makes him now 8 months old. I found him at a show in November 2011. I had been wanting a Holland Lop for a while and was waiting for that show to look around and see if I could find one. I saw Kaelum in his carrier, and actually passed him a few times, knowing there were other Holland Lops for sale in the showroom. One was an adorable 8 week old broken lilac tort, and my sister was pushing me to get her. But I kept on going back to Kaelum. Finally I asked the breeder if I could look at him and I had another HL breeder give me his advice on Kael. Wish I could remember what he had said. Needless to say I ended up buying him!

As I was walking around the showroom, Megan (Shaded Night) spotted me with him and asked, "Emily, what are you doing with a Holland Lop?" :biggrin: lol. It was quite funny.

I wanted a Holland Lop for my next jumper, and Kaelum has turned out to be quite the perfect athlete! He still has lots to work on, but I think a lot of it will come with age and more training. Since he's 8 mos old, he's in that teenager stage and can be a bit of a brat at most times.

Just lately he's started to actually appreciate seeing me come into the barn to feed! He used to just stomp his feet and watch from the corner, but now he is up at the front of his cage, rattling his dish, gnawing at the door for me to open it. A very nice change from the attitude he gave me before. lol.

I still have 2 Mini Rex - a lot of you will probably remember Kailua, and then I also have Dusty as well. Dusty may just end up staying as I've never met a rabbit that did so well with kids. He lets the girls my sister babysits just torment him like crazy - check out his eyes, his ears, let them hold him. He loves it when they feed him carrots.
If I can find a new home for him, then I will let him go.

Kaelum was bred to a doe in March, and she's due April 22nd, so I'd love to get a buck out of that litter, depending on if they are show quality. I've already got a few names I'm thinking of for a little boy. :) Cadmus (from Harry Potter), and Kannon, and Kian (pronounced Kane).

Anyway, on to some pictures! My sister took a lot of these. She has a photography business. If your in the WA area, check her out! She is offering free sessions until the end of this month, and as you can see, she takes fabulous pictures of rabbits! :) Her business is called Amanda Leigh Photography and you can find her on Facebook.

dusty.jpg
Dusty - really great head shot of him! :)

handsomeboy.jpg
Kaelum in his cage. We've been selling off all of our cages, except I'm keeping this 2-hole 24x30 stacker, which allows me two bunnies! Unfortunately I'm having a hard time selling my remaining two stackers and that can lead to tempting ideas for someone with a Holland Lop buck, and a breeding pair of Mini Rex. ;) lol.

handsomekael.jpg
I absolutely ADORE this picture of Kaelum.

nomnom.jpg
Out for some play time and had to get some noms!

oxer.jpg
Jumping picture! Been doing a lot of work on oxers and spreads so that he learns to tuck those front feet...He really just has some crazy form over his jumps.

longjump.jpg
This was his first time tackling a long jump - 13 inches - and he acted like it was the easiest thing ever! I can't wait to see how far he get jumping!

tuck.jpg
This is the first jump I built. I have a 2nd jump in the works right now. Love this picture because Kaelum's actually tucking! lol.

My sister is getting more pictures up, and I'll attempt to get some pictures this evening when I take the bunnies out for playtime, so I'll have another update soon! :)

Emily

Can't wait to see the video! Wicked awesome!

How do you even get a bunny started for agility? I'd love to get mine into it, but have no idea where to start? What to read? Videos to watch? Any tips? :)

@WendyMac - Thank you! I'm sure most people who train bunnies in this sport don't really care about form! lol! But I think it is important considering without good form, the rabbit won't jump as well.

@Samara - I will have to get the video uploaded to Photobucket or YouTube. Right now I just have it on my Facebook. lol. I started Kaelum with just harness work at first. Then over low ground poles and low jumps. He picked it up VERY fast, much faster than Magic did. I started him at about 4 months of age and he's 8 months now, and jumping 12+ inches already, so he definitely excelled much faster than Magic. I am not pushing him though and he hasn't jumped much over 12 inches. I'm still trying to fix his form and his method of jumping before getting too high, but also want to keep it fun for him.

Thank you Karen!

He's been in training for about 4 months now. :) He picked it up really quickly and we're just working up slowly.

Kaelum was actually bred to a doe back in March and she had 3 kits on Monday! We have a solid black, a broken black and what looks like a tri colour! Thinking 2 does and a buck. Depending on quality, the little buck will be coming to live with me! :) I don't want does at all since I have no reason to have a doe (no breeding) and I think bucks make better rabbit hoppers, anyway. :)

Emily

Here is a video of Kaelum jumping on May 7th.
I made this one public, from my FB, so you all can see it. :)
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3267290293249&saved

He doesn't like to be picked up and you can see that in the video. He will struggle, kick, and try to jump out of my arms. I am not hanging him in the air by his harness or anything. ;) I am simply trying to keep him in my arms and from falling and getting injured.

There is a warning on the video just because of one thing I could not cut out of a clip. You cannot hear any bad language, though.

Emily

Thank you Karen! :)

He's a good little boy.
Here's a clip from our training session last night. He was jumping 17 inches (length) by 13 inches (height). Finally moving up!

He is still a bit intimidated by the 13 inches in height, so it will still probably take a while to get him past that. He is doing great with long jumping though and really loves it!

KaelumJumpsMay14003.jpg

KaelumJumpsMay14004.jpg

By the video I watched, I could see how much he loves the jumping. No hesitation whatsoever. Just let me down and right over. lol I think that intimidation level will cease once he gets his confidence. Then he'll be really flying!

I think the whole thing is just awesome. Wishing you both all the success!

K:)

@Karen - Yes! He is very willing to jump and loves doing it. I'll often have him out on the grass just playing and he will go right for the course and jump all by himself. :)

@Mandi - Which pictures? You can put them up if you like. You probably didn't put them up on FB where I could get them and then put them up here. ;)

Also!! :) I got a new baby the other day! One of Kaelum's daughters! Although I keep calling them bro/sister, because it's just so weird that my Kaelum is a daddy!

Will get pics up soon!

Found the pictures my sister was talking about! :)
awhs.jpg

backwards.jpg

bigxrail.jpg

flyboy.jpg

And here is Kaelum's daughter! One out of a litter of 3. She's a Broken Blue Tort. Still deciding on names for her. She is a VERY tiny little girl, but only 5 weeks old. :( The lady who ones the doe made me upset with this weaning situation... and refused to listen to me at all. She is doing good here though, and is happy and healthy.

newbaby.jpg

And, here's a picture of my horse, Jake, for good measure! :)
JakeMoveNewbarn047.jpg

I've officially owned him for almost 2 weeks now! He's my heart-horse!

Emily

I love the actions shots of Kaelum. He's just amazing.

Love the sweet little one. Glad she's doing good and with your TLC, she should grow up as healthy and happy as her Dad. Can't wait to hear what you call this sweetie.

Congratulations on your Heart Horse, Jake. What a beauty.

K:)

Emily, I think Kaelum is criminally adorable, but I actually squealed when I saw his daughter! SO CUTE!! How is the little lass doing? And... do you have any more pictures? :D

Latest posts

Back