A Guide to Herbal Remedies: For Breeding Does

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Very interesting list of herbal remedies I hope to use in the future! All credit to OLD GARDEN HOUSE RABBITRY. Simply sharing it to help others!

Before Mating:
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Increases receptivity
PARSLEY: Increases receptivity
BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS: Increases receptivity & Condition

Pregnancy | Pre-Birth:
BLACKBERRY: Soothing & Helps cool pregnant does
COMFREY: Good vitamin A source for pregnant & nursing does
LAVENDER: Induces Labour & Relaxes nervous Moms-to-be
BLUE COHOSH: Dialate birth canal, Induce labour
RASPBERRY LEAVES: Prenatal supplement for strong birth
STRAWBERRY LEAVES: Prevents miscarriage (Iron rich)

Post-Birth:
BORAGE: Increases Milk Flow
DANDELION: Increases Milk Flow
GOATS RUE: Increases Milk Flow
FENNEL: Increases Milk Flow
MILK THISTLE: Increase Milk Flow
NETTLES: : Increase Milk Flow
LAVENDER: Can Expel placental material
MARIGOLD: Healing

Weaning (Drying up milk)
MINT: drying up milk flow

Who can think of any more herbal remedies to add to this list? I personally use KALE pre-labor to help build up strong contractions.

So those are stinging nettles (family urtica), to which herbalists have ascribed increased milk production. They are normally presented to kine chopped and wilted. Dehydrating them for a day destroys the histamine that gives them their sting. They are delicious as a cooked green for humans tasting to me as a earthier spinach.

Dead Nettle, White Nettle, Purple Nettle, and Yellow Nettle (all family Lamium) are not related and do not have the same porperties. However, Rabbits do love them. They are also edible for humans. Raw they have a 'dusty' taste. I have not yet tried them cooked, but they can be done up as any green would.

Oh, celestial seasonings raspberry tea for sure! I had this almost-7-month-old doe who I was trying to breed, I put her with my buck several times, and it didn’t happen. I moved them to an exercise pen with more space and it still didn’t happen. I boiled the tea, let it cool and put it in her water. Then to see she consumed enough of it, I mixed up with some oats to create a mushy oats oatmeal solution from the tea which she ate. The next day she was bred no problem.

Oh, celestial seasonings raspberry tea for sure! I had this almost-7-month-old doe who I was trying to breed, I put her with my buck several times, and it didn’t happen. I moved them to an exercise pen with more space and it still didn’t happen. I boiled the tea, let it cool and put it in her water. Then to see she consumed enough of it, I mixed up with some oats to create a mushy oats oatmeal solution from the tea which she ate. The next day she was bred no problem.
Interesting, thank you for sharing! My go-to remedy is apple cider vinegar, it works every time for does and bucks!

Latest posts

Back