A genetics Question For Pam .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gypsy wrote:
The reason beingMy Firend just had a litter of2 Mini's born The Mother isa Broken black and whiteand the Father is a Self Steel, One of the babiesis Black , possible Steel, But the OtherBaby is a Broken Orange , and Icant figure out where itcame from , as Far as Iknow there is no reds ororanges in the liniage . But the NonExtension explination gave me thethought that somewhere along herLine or the Fathers thatthe Factor was there buthidden from sight.

Exactly. Because non-extension is recessive, *both* parentsmust carry the gene to have produced the orange. Thenon-extension gene is generally not common in Mini Lop lines.

Pam

Could there thenbe another reason for theBroken Orange ? I will geta picture of the littleones today they arehuge , but not overly huge concideringthe whole Kindle was only 2babies .

See if you can get the photo.Themost likelyexplanation for the orange would beboth parents carrying the non-extension gene.

The only other explanation would be harlequin and maybe a "ej e" babythat only appears orange -- but that still involves lower e seriesgenes. In rare cases, full extension "E" can appear to be"ee" when combined with the wideband gene.

Remember that a pedigree only tells a small portion of the rabbitsancestry. We don't know the colors of sibling, aunts oruncles which could be an important key as to what recessives arefloating around.

Pam

With thisparticular Doe I do know 2previous litters have consistedof REW , and brokens , and Ibelieve a few Charlies , and afew Solids , But this is thefirst Kindle with a broken orange/possibly tan . I will have to go down and getthe picture just as soon as Ihear back from Tina on howMisty is Fairing .

I just got off thephone with the Breeder ( Half Pint) and was informedthat the Mother a carries theTort Gene , Both Her Mother andFaher also carry the Tort gene,and the Father Tasumicarries the Tort gene as well ,and Chocolate gene as well ,

I do havepictures the Orange/ Tan has awhite belly as seen in htefirst picture tho I wasnt closeenough . both silly babies wereflat on their backs when I pulledthefur back lol .

IM000548.jpg

IM000549.jpg

IM000550.jpg

IM000551.jpg

This is the Mother , Half Pint .

IM000547.jpg

I hope this helps some, Now i am more thana little confused all over again .:disgust:

gypsy wrote:
I just got off thephone with the Breeder ( Half Pint) and was informedthat the Mother a carries theTort Gene , Both Her Mother andFaher also carry the Tort gene,and the Father Tasumicarries the Tort gene as well ,and Chocolate gene as well ,

I do havepictures the Orange/ Tan has awhite belly as seen in htefirst picture tho I wasnt closeenough . both silly babies wereflat on their backs when I pulledthefur back lol .

This will ease a little confusion -- the "tort" gene she is referringto is actually the non-extension "ee" gene that make both the tort andthe orange.

Since the baby is broken, we aren't going to be able to tell by lookingat the belly color if it's tort or orange (orange would have the whitebelly). The ears do look whitish like an orange'swould. An orange would also have white eye circles and whitenose lacing.

We "might" be able to distinguish from some head/face shots if it's atort or orange, especially since your photos of the babies are soclear. Or we may have to wait until the baby is a littleolder. (but I am guessing that it is an orange)

Pam

roberts_rabbits_2008 wrote:
It does look sorta like a broken orange, a way to tell is,is there any darker like, blackishy color on the bottoms of thecolor?
No no othercolor than the orange andwhite shown above , if thelittle stinker would stopburying its face I could bettersee what is there too , little booger . Iam going down nowto see if I can get adecent facepicture so we can allsee and decide .

Half-Pint'sfather Chick-A-Dee gave me all those nifty orange and tort babies now igot chocolates coming out the wazoo lol

I finally was ableto get a near decentpicture of the little wiggly, it isnt as good as the lastones , I was trying to chase itaround the table to get the picturelol geeshh they canmove super speed forsomething only 3 days old WOW .,Heres the best I could do fornow , it looks in hte picturelike slight brown or balcaround the eyes , but itsnot , its the way the picturecame out .,

IM000557.jpg

It's hard for me to tell from thephoto. Are the nostrils laced in white? The photosappear to show shading like a tort -- but you had mentioned that it'sactually all orange -- so it's probably an orange. You hadalso mentioned the chocolate gene. If both parents carry thechoc. gene, a choc. tort would be possible.

Pam

roberts_rabbits_2008 wrote:
I agree with Pam, in the picture it very much looks to haveshading in which a broken tort would have.

Robert

It does look like it, but it might just be shadows. So hardto tell from a photo, and the colors can look completely different inphotos under various lighting.

Pam

Latest posts

Back