A friend for Merlin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
Rabbits aren't all that rare here in NZ, I'm frankly surprised there aren't any rabbit rescues around (that I can find).

Rosebun passed yesterday, and I've been distracting myself by looking around for a possible future friend for Merlin. Ideally it would be a small-sized neutered female adult, but the SPCA only has bonded pairs and the only rescues I can find on Trademe/Petsonthenet are either Flemmies or a rather large Rex male.

There are litters looking for homes though. What are your opinions on introducing a baby to a small neutered adult male who is kind of a jerk? (I say that with all the love in the world. But he did use to bully Rosey a bit.)

It's a huge risk when you won't even know if they'll bond until weeks after the baby is neutered/spayed. But at the same time I don't want Merlin to feel the loss of Rosebun for too long and sink into depression...I don't know. Any thoughts appreciated.

I guess this is normal, but...Merlin seems to have gone off water. He's eating fine, but he hasn't touched either his bowl or his water bottle and has only done one pee in about 8 hours (since I cleaned out his cage).

I've given him water soaked veggies, and tried putting honey on his bottle nub. I'm just getting worried that he won't take a proper drink. Normally he and Rosebun can empty the bowl in a day. It's still full.

I might try syringing water to him before I go to bed... really nervous about that though.

If he's not drinking, pushing some water soaked greens is probably your best next bet. If you do syringe, just make sure to do it from the side and slowly so that it's not overwhelming.

just do well wetted greens for now. That will give him sufficient water.
If he stops eating you'll have bigger issues to deal with.

I did end up syringing him water, but I did it by putting sauce on the tip and slowly letting out water as he licked it. Seemed to work. There are a 5 more pees in his box, little ones but at least he's got some liquid in him.

He spent most of today grooming himself under a chair. I tried to pet him and he just lunged at me and nipped. I guess just human company isn't going to cut it for my little man... I'm about to leave to meet someone about adopting one of their babies. I'm a bit put out that there aren't any adult females looking for rehoming. Where all da single ladies at?

Update: That fell through. The babies were practically wild and living free range on her farm. ._.

To tell the truth, I don't want a new bunny. I want Rosebun back. :( Failing that, I want Merlin and I to be okay, to be happy and cool with he and I against the world.

But this isn't about what I want. Merlin's just moping about, miserable, anti-social and depressed. There's another litter I can check out next week, and in the meantime I'm still keeping an eye out for bunny rehomes.

Hey, have you tried Auckland Cavy Care? It's a guinea pig rescue, but they do take in the occasional rabbit. I'm not sure if they have an unbonded female right now, but you could check. Failing that, maybe you could take him on a play date with other, fixed, rabbits - males can get along too, so he might enjoy a play date. At any rate, it might help pull him out of his depression.

I just checked their website, and they have this little girl: "Naja". She's very pretty, and looks a little like my Nermal!

(Naja is pronounced "Naaasha", and means rescued, according to their facebook page.)

Hey, have you tried Auckland Cavy Care? It's a guinea pig rescue, but they do take in the occasional rabbit. I'm not sure if they have an unbonded female right now, but you could check. Failing that, maybe you could take him on a play date with other, fixed, rabbits - males can get along too, so he might enjoy a play date. At any rate, it might help pull him out of his depression.

I just checked their website, and they have this little girl: "Naja". She's very pretty, and looks a little like my Nermal!

(Naja is pronounced "Naaasha", and means rescued, according to their facebook page.)

Oh what a cutie! She's a bluish sable point, the exact same colour as Merlin!

Thanks so much for the referral, I've dropped them an enquiry and I hope they'll let me do play date trials. Her personality sounds like it might clash with Merlin's, but here's hoping.

Where abouts are you? I'm in Wellington & we have a rescue here. I too tried to bond a rescued male with another older rescue female & he didn't want anything to do with her as he was rather scared.

I ended up bonding him with a 10week old female & after a couple of days they were bonded. I have found in the past that it is best to wait abit before bonding a grieving bun as they can be very protective & territorial. Did your boy know she was dead? Because sometimes they are still waiting for them therefore not so interested in another.

I would get a bun and let them meet & you will get a good idea if they will bond in the future- if he is really going for the other bun trying to potentially kill her than this pair probably won't work. When you get one that he's territorial towards but not trying to kill then you may be onto something! just house them close to each other but separated & rotate cages each day to second day so they get use to each other's scent. I would continue this for a couple of months with monitored play time. The last thing you want is one bun fearing the other which isn't to great for bonding.

These are just my experiences that have worked. Its not easy bonding but so worth it when you get it right! I have a 3 bonded bunnies that consist of 2 boys & 1 girl that's disabled & 2 other boy & girl pairs. They however cannot all hang out together otherwise bunny fur will be flying, feisty pieces ;)

I am in Auckland sadly. Yes he did know his bondmate was dead, we left the body in there for a few hours. I'm envious of you, I want a trio/quad some day! Will have to get a bigger place first though.

Thanks for the tips, Merlin's going on a bunny date this weekend and we'll be watching the signs. I'm glad we could get an adult rescue, I wouldn't really trust Merlin with a baby as he can be a bit...tantrumy. Lol

Latest posts

Back