A Friend for Devon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing the newsletter. I completely forgot to ask about it when we picked her up. Her personality in that photo is exactly how she is in real life! I absolutely love her curious and friendly demeanor:).

Right now Zoey and Devon are in the family room in separate x-pens that are a few inches apart. They seem curious but quite relaxed. Devon has been laying against the side of his pen that borders Zoey's. We're going to try another formal bonding session later today. I'll see if I can throw together some temporary NIC cages and house them in a neutral room. Thanks for the tip:D.

Here are the pictures that I promised. I don't have any pictures of them together yet. I forgot the camera when we went to the rescue and I was too busy during the first bonding session.

Exploring the exercise pen before we put Devon in:

P7020038.jpg

In the cage at the end of the day (she got the downstairs and Devon got the upstairs). She seems pretty comfortable!

P7020055.jpg

The rescue sent her home with her old litter box.

P7020060.jpg

She doesn't eat lettuce, she inhales it!

P7020056.jpg

Gosh, Im tearing up here. Shes so pretty and looks so relaxed. I keep thinking of everything she has been through to get to you. They were kept in these cramped nasty cages and being fed bread. :(

If youre curious, heres the rescue thread: 30 Michigan Bunnies Need Help

Good luck with bonding. Im sure they will be ok once Devon gets used to having her around.

Wow, she is just beautiful!! I love her! Haley's right, too- she looks so happy and relaxed with you! I'm just about to read that thread even though I'm worried it'll make me cry, but I'm so glad she was rescued and got to a happy loving home with you guys :)

Jen xx

I like the name Zoey - really suits her. :) She looks very happy and relaxed, what a lucky girl she is to get a home with you. :hug: Hope the bonding goes positively! :goodluck

Zoey is a very pretty little girl and so lucky to finally have a good safe home where she will be so loved and cherished...especially after what the poor girl has been through....so sad poor little thing.

I'm sure with a bit of time and patience...Devon and Zoey will soon be loving each other :)

Cheryl

I can't believe I missed this. I'm so glad that she went to such a great home! She was always one of the ones I checked up on when I went on petfinder. I guess you must live near me....I hope the bonding goes well.

Nutmeghen is adorable--and, boy, what a life story she has! She (or whichever bun joins your home) will likely cheer Devon. Still, don't be surprised if she manages to charm and heal you, as well. :D

Best of luck!

Jenk

Zoey is continuing to settle in well. In some ways, she seems more comfortable with her surroundings than Devon is. She has so much personality, I absolutely love her! :biggrin2:

We temporarily halted the bonding sessions because Devon seemed "off" and was not eating much yesterday, and we didn't want to stress him more. We took him to see a vet today (our regulars were not in today) who noticed he had molar spurs. She gave him fluids, put him under real quick, and took care of the teeth. She believes his problem was caused by the teeth plus the stress of a new bunny. She thinks we can begin bonding again tomorrow. We've built Zoey her own cage near by, and the vet suggested that we stop switching them between cages (it is stressing him too much). Other than that, we will continue bonding as before. Luckily, we were given some great bonding tips from the vet (who also specializes in animal behavior) and a vet tech with 19 rabbits of her own.

Tomorrow they both have checkups with our regular vet (they were scheduled when we brought her home last week). The car ride will make for a perfect bonding session.

Overall, I'm incredibly optimistic about bonding them since they have been great so far, with no aggression towards one another. I'll just take it as slow as I need to. I also need to get over my own nervousness about the bonding sessions, since even the dominance-asserting mounting behavior can be scary to watch. But talking to the vet and the tech, as well as some email correspondence with Carol, has made me feel much more comfortable:D.

Matt:bunnydance::happyrabbit:

Sorry I missed this before! Matt, she is just adorable! Love the name Zoey as well!

Best of luck with the bonding too!:D No need to hurry, just take it slow and as they can handle it.

bunnydude wrote:
...Nutmeghan's new name is now officially "Zoey". We tried out Nadia but it didn't seem to "fit". My sister found "Zoey" on a name website - it means "life" and it seems to suit her.
Hey, now you and I both have a Zoe(y). :D

When I named my Zoe, I didn't focus on names' meanings. After months of Zoe's health issues, I opened a book and learned that the origin of Zoe is Greek and, as you've said, meanslife. It rather cheered me; I figured it meant that my girl is a fighter. Clearly, so is your Zoey. :D

Jenk

Latest posts

Back