A few questions about a rabbit I might be adopting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
So I just came back from the rescue. And I really love a certain rabbit named Sunday, I would change that name. But my problem with Sunday is that: she has had an abscess before.
I don’t know much about abscesses but I know that they can be fairly expensive to treat. Is this something that would come back and/or I would need to treat or prevent?

While I love Sunday, and I would 100% get her if Apollo chose her, I don’t know if she would be covered in my insurance policy which means I wouldn’t know what to do if it came back. I’ll check my insurance later today, that’s not the problem.

Attachments

• 2D2DFB1F-5199-47F4-8A7B-DC9A226D23C9.png
    2D2DFB1F-5199-47F4-8A7B-DC9A226D23C9.png
    629.3 KB · Views: 6
I think it really depends where the abscess is. In the past, I have had to treat stomach abscesses and the surgery was around $300 - $400. The medications and antibiotics were separate and not included in that price! Insurance is a great idea, it would most likely cover the majority. Hope this helps, Sunday is gorgeous!

I think it really depends where the abscess is. In the past, I have had to treat stomach abscesses and the surgery was around $300 - $400. The medications and antibiotics were separate and not included in that price! Insurance is a great idea, it would most likely cover the majority. Hope this helps, Sunday is gorgeous!
Thank you! I really hope it won’t be £300! We will be getting insurance either way - it’s the best way to keep the vet costs down 😅. She is really pretty! My mum fell in love with her too! She really didn’t want to get one with any previous health problems but for her, she just fell for her!

Where was the abscess?
I think it was in her head, if I can remember properly

I would suggest finding out.
A tooth or jaw abscess? Is a huuuge difference from getting a cut on the top of her head that abscessed.
A rabbit with chronic teeth issues that are abscessing is different from a one off injury.
An abscess is typically the result of injury + bacteria and if treated properly shouldnt be an issue again. However dental problems are a whole other boat.

I would suggest finding out.
A tooth or jaw abscess? Is a huuuge difference from getting a cut on the top of her head that abscessed.
A rabbit with chronic teeth issues that are abscessing is different from a one off injury.
An abscess is typically the result of injury + bacteria and if treated properly shouldnt be an issue again. However dental problems are a whole other boat.
It must’ve been a jaw abscess, I remember they specifically said it wasn’t a dental problem. It would be great if it won’t be an issue again! The rescue has said that they treated it and it hasn’t come back (she’s been with them since November so it’s be good)!

What would the issue be if it was dental problems, as she might have that also, I’ll have to email the rescue 😅

I think your best bet is to ask the rescue - they are brilliant - about the details of the problem she had and whether it is likely to re-occur. I know they use an excellent rabbit vet and when you register her with your vet, your vet will get the notes of exactly what was done. I do hope you don't get any exclusions on your insurance policy. But try not to worry yet, Apollo may choose someone else! Where in London do you live?

I think your best bet is to ask the rescue - they are brilliant - about the details of the problem she had and whether it is likely to re-occur. I know they use an excellent rabbit vet and when you register her with your vet, your vet will get the notes of exactly what was done. I do hope you don't get any exclusions on your insurance policy. But try not to worry yet, Apollo may choose someone else! Where in London do you live?
Thank you! I just want to make sure I have everything ready, no matter which one he chooses. But I’ll definitely ask soon!
We’re in North West 🤗

Thank you! I just want to make sure I have everything ready, no matter which one he chooses. But I’ll definitely ask soon!
We’re in North West 🤗
I'm in North London too - Friern Barnet. Apologies if I asked before but do you go to the Beaumont Hospital in Camden? Great rabbit vets there, really recommend them. I guess the rescue has given you instructions on what you have to do before they come home?

I'm in North London too - Friern Barnet. Apologies if I asked before but do you go to the Beaumont Hospital in Camden? Great rabbit vets there, really recommend them. I guess the rescue has given you instructions on what you have to do before they come home?
ah nice! I’ve never been to that one before (I’ll keep it in mind)!
The rescue has given me some vague instructions on what to do, but they were fully booked so before our appointment ended, someone else was there.

We have got an update from them though! 🥺

Attachments

• EE8D9E0F-0E66-4CFB-B3CA-D07EF2F650B9.jpeg
    EE8D9E0F-0E66-4CFB-B3CA-D07EF2F650B9.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 8
Do register with the Beaumont if you can. We pass about 10 vets on the way there, still worth it! They are Gold standard RWAF vets.
Oh, wow, so exciting to get a pic like that! I'm sure you're worried about him (I would be really worried too) but he is in good hands and it will all be worth it in the end. Please update if and when you get more news.

I’m way more excited than worried now! My two biggest fears were that: 1. He would get cold as he’s in a shed (but he made the night) and 2. That he would get stasis (but he ate straight away when I put him in the shed). I’ll be updating every time I have an update on the Exciting News thread 🥰

It must’ve been a jaw abscess, I remember they specifically said it wasn’t a dental problem. It would be great if it won’t be an issue again! The rescue has said that they treated it and it hasn’t come back (she’s been with them since November so it’s be good)!

What would the issue be if it was dental problems, as she might have that also, I’ll have to email the rescue 😅
I just found out from the rescue. The abscess was on the side of her face which they originally thought was caused by dental issues but wasn’t! It’s healed completely and you wouldn’t really be able to tell that she had it - so it shouldn’t come back. They just said that we need to keep an eye on her to make sure that she keeps a healthy weight, which must be caused by the previous problem? She eats twice as much pellets as Apollo and she’s not much bigger than him!

Latest posts

Back