A Definition of a breeder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been browsing different sites to get good definitions of a breeder - partly because I'm updating my handout for new pet owners.....and partly because I wantto develop a brochure for people who may approach me about wanting to breed lionheads (or others)

I really liked this one on ASPCA under their "responsible breeder" information (Never thought I'd agree with ASPCA on anything).

Responsible breeders are individuals who have focused their efforts on one or a select few breeds and through breeding, historical research and ongoing study, mentoring relationships, club memberships, showing, raising and training of these breeds have become experts in the breed’s health, heritable conditions, temperament and behavior. Responsible breeders are well suited to educate and screen potential buyers/adopters and provide follow-up support after purchase or adoption. Responsible breeders take lifetime responsibility for the animals they have bred.

There is more underneath it on their website - but I don't want to copy it all here. Here is the link:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=cruelty_puppymills_statement

What I really liked about this is that I did so much of that on my own....developing mentors, researching the breed, club membership, and learning about the breed's health and conditions that can be passed on. Wow...I didn't even need the ASPCA to tell me to do those things!

Anyway - I'm going to be looking at all the definitions I've been accumulating and go through them because I want to develop a brochure of "So you want to breed? Are you ready to do all this?" because so often you hear of people getting a pet bunny and then wanting to breed it...

Peg

This link was in another thread in this forum....and I'm going to copy something from the "ethical breeding" portion of the site. I thought it was worth noting...

http://www.tsukiyo.org/argent/index.html
Badmouthing Other Breeders
This is just following the Golden Rule. If you would not like to be badmouthed, do not badmouth other breeders. If another breeder does something you feel is wrong, talk to them about it. Do not blab all over the world what they did. They may not even realize what they did. Even if they did realize, and they do nothing to remedy the situation, badmouthing makes you look bad, too. It makes you look like a rumour spreader or like you are jealous of the other breeders. Instead of telling people who NOT to go to, recommend breeders that you like to people who ask who to go to to get rabbits.

Latest posts

Back