9-week-old mini/standard Rex bunny tries to eat EVERYTHING, including flesh?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sweet bunny of one week, Storm, is very curious and when I let her roam around the apartment for 4-8 hours a day, she tries to eat or bite EVERYTHING, including my jewelry, my arm, toes and fingers. Every time I bond with her on my lap, she tries to eat my pandora bracelet or arm. She also ate a tiny bit of cheese that fell on the floor, and in my room, I was unaware that a BBQ packet had exploaded and sprayed outside a box, and Storm started eating that, too! I have had over 25 bunnies from the 90s when I was a child to 9 years ago, and the strangest thing I have ever seen one eat is a fruit snack that was on the bed (the bunny jumped like 3 feet onto the bed).

Is there any way to train her not to eat everything? I thought rabbits reject food that is not an herb, vegetable, seed or fruit?

Attachments

• 20181002_211334.jpg
    20181002_211334.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 10
Rabbits are opportunists and may try anything. I had one that went after any fallen scraps (when my kids were little) including sausage, salmon, chocolate, and sweet Maui onion flavored potato chips.

She's still young though so much of that may simply be exploring. Training isn't going to work. Rabbits will do what rabbits want to do. They aren't interested in pleasing us. Best we can do is block access or remove what should not be eaten or chewed.

Wow, what breed? So cute! The only bad thing is the heavier they are, the more their claws hurt when you cuddle them :(

He was a French lop as far as we know. He came from a hoarding situation. We actually ended up on Animal Planet (as part of the 'happy ending' story). He was a super fun rabbit. Never noticed his nails bothering us. I think that depends more on how long a rabbit's nails are, rather than the weight of the rabbit. :)

He was a French lop as far as we know. He came from a hoarding situation. We actually ended up on Animal Planet (as part of the 'happy ending' story). He was a super fun rabbit. Never noticed his nails bothering us. I think that depends more on how long a rabbit's nails are, rather than the weight of the rabbit. :)
"Was"? Oh no, I hope he is alright. And that is awesome! What was the name of the show? Sorry, I know that I am super weird and bunny obsessed, haha.

The show aired over 10 years ago. It was called Animal Planet Heroes: Phoenix.

The rabbit (we named him Gandalf) was estimated to be at least 5 years old when we got him, so he has since passed.

The show aired over 10 years ago. It was called Animal Planet Heroes: Phoenix.

The rabbit (we named him Gandalf) was estimated to be at least 5 years old when we got him, so he has since passed.
Ah, I see. I will check it out, thank you. I live in Arizona as well, my first time raising bunnies in hot weather:)

Latest posts

Back