8 week old mini lop with a hanging torn ear. What can I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubchic

Reaction score
Yesterday my daughter picked out her first rabbit- a sweet, docile 8 week old mini lop. She chose her because her ear was "broken" and she feared no one would want to adopt her. My question is- this is an old injury and has healed, but the flap of the torn ear is still hanging. Can I have the vet reattach it with stitches or glue (even though it is healed)? Or should the vet cut off the dead part of the ear?
B3D6F6CD-6931-4969-AAE6-E1381AF6B4BB-861-0000011C4C487799.jpg

42F33311-60F1-4BA8-AB9F-F73E566DEA3B-861-0000011C3E4FE2FC.jpg

Thank you in advance!

You have a great compassionate daughter.

I have no idea what would be best. If it's not bothering the lop, you can wait awhile until he settles in before deciding & scheduling a vet visit.

I don't think the vet would reattach it at this point, but may be able to remove the torn part. That may be best to avoid further injury in the future. I could see a bunny getting it stuck on something!

Welcome to RO! Please post in our introductions forum so we can all get to know you and congratulations on your new addition.
I agree that it's probably too late to reattach it. Does the torn part look like healthy tissue? If it's nice and pink and still receiving a blood supply, it is probably doing no harm but if it starts to look like it's necrosing or infected, I'd definitely see a vet. If there are concerns about it hanging, perhaps your vet could remove that part when he or she is anesthetized for a spay/neuter.

How sweet that your daughter took the lil one in. It doesn't look like it would be something that would bother much but I would worry about it catching in something and tearing later on? I would suggest asking the vet when you go in for a checkup . Like someone mentioned, getting it done (if the vet thinks it's best to remove it) while the bun is in for a spay or neuter would be great. The bun would be older and better suited to deal with the anesthesia and it would only have to be under once since it's already going for another procedure :)

Thank you do much for your help and advice. The ear does not bother her, but my son's guinea pig lightly nips at it when they play together. I don't know if the guinea pig is trying to establish dominance or if she simply is being affectionate.

My daughter has such a sweet, caring personality and wants to be a vet when she grows up (she is 6). The bunny is the same way- so laid back, loves to cuddle and is patient with my daughter.

I think I will wait to contact our vet when we are ready to spay her. Of course if she is getting her ear caught on things or if it starts to bother her, I will take her in.

Thanks again!

If all the parts feel like normal skin (soft/pink) then it's not dead, just a bit raggedy. It should be any easy job for the vet to neaten it up during her spay op but they'll just take off the hanging bit not reattach.

What a wonderful heart your little girl has. I would not know what to do. I have a mini lop rabbit myself and she is five years old. Her bunny is going to be so special and will most probably have some unique tendencies that will entertain and bless the family.

Your daughter sounds like me. I'm now in my first year of vet school finally doing what I've always wanted to do.

I'd agree that it's best not to let the guinea pig and the rabbit play together. While they can be very friendly, rabbits have been known to accidentally kick and kill their guinea pig friends.

Latest posts

Back