8 week old - eating 2 cups a day?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samara

Reaction score
:?

I realized today that Starling and Pidge, who are housed together, are eating 2 cups of pellets a day. They have unlimited alfalfa too with a bit of timothy mixed in occasionally for kicks.

I give them a measured cup in the morning and again by mid afternoon.

Free feeding under a year is free feeding, but man...is this too much?

Pidge barely weighs over a pound and Starling isn't much over 2 pounds. They we both born in April of this year.

(Starling is an English Lop / Mini Lop mix and Pidge is a full American Fuzzy Lop).

They were both the runts of their litters! Their littermates are all twice as big. TWICE as BIG. Is this making up for their wee-ness?

:shock:

They are completely mowing the hay down. I give them a generous handful that fills one end of their rectangle litter box. It takes them the day to eat it all so I don't normally have to refill the hay till the following morning.

I've been offering them steel cut oats too once or twice a week. They'll comsume that plus the hay and pellets.

They're getting Blue Seal brand Hutch 16.

Porkers!

When Gary was still growing I was shocked at how much he could chow. He topped out just a smidge over 3 pounds, but once he wasn't growing so much he has slowly stopped eating so many pellets. He was eating at least a cup a day himself.

They will also eat more if they are high energy and running around a lot. It sounds pretty normal to me but I havn't had lots of babies.

They are pretty high energy...they run circles around me. Gubble and Molly are smitten with them. I haven't let Atticus run around with them yet because he's so much heavier and larger than them. He's poked around their enclosure though.

They are ON me when I feed and water in the morning. They usually have a few sprigs of hay and pellets left, but they are tumbling over each other to get at the new stuff. Matthias is only 4 months old, and I raised him up since birth and he doesn't even eat a single cup of pellets a day.

These bunnies. I love them so.

Pidge can down a cup a day or so, have to rsfill bowl 2-3 times a day Nd a flake lasts about 2 days between the 3! Murphy does about a cup a day. Bsbys like eating. :) i wouldnt worry about it much you dont wanna pull their food

It may be different for the giant breeds, but I think that unlimited pellets stops at 8 or 9 months, when they're just about done growing.

Lol how does starling eat? Is she a big pig?? Murphy shoves her head in the bowl lol. Murphys sittin on the couch nomming my kindle jumping on it creating words lol

Hahaha. Oh noes!

Starling shoves her face into the bowl and scatters pellets left to right. It's like she dents the pellets. Pidge eats daintily and a bit at a time. :p

My pidge too!! He grabs a pellet and lifts his his and has this kingly look to him lol so sophisticated. Maybe its a baby lop thing? Ha

It's so weird. I guess I was expecting some sort of "across the border" eating habit from all my buns. Noooope!

:p

Latest posts

Back