7wk Old Buns Enjoying their Veges - too early?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattyw

Reaction score
My boys are only 7wks old, and I am a new bun owner. Since day 1 with us I couldn't resist giving them some veges to munch and Poppy as been totally fine with it, no problems with his poops, Astro (who has been with us for about x4 days), seems to have a few issues with veges, sloppy no. 2s etc. Not sure what is causing the problem, but I have read that veges should be left till they are much older...? Just wanting some opinions and advice on this! :) Thanks!

Sorry I seem to be answering all your posts. I feel like I'm crowding! Astro's sloppy poos are probably from the veggies. I would hold off feeding them to him until he's a bit older, some people say up to 6 months. When they're young they get diarrhea easily.

I would suggest feeding only one type of veggie for now and SLOWLY adding others as they get older. I've had my buns since they were 4 weeks (they're 9 weeks now) and they did great that way! They love parsley and a carrot here and there. We recently started cilantro too and they seem to like it. I've never had problems with sloppy poos, either.

Hope that helps!!! :)

This is a new video I've been working on about vegetables. It includes some information about baby bunnies. It's not officially "up", yet, but you can certainly watch it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijmr0-ELW3E[/ame]

i have just heard5 or 6months.
my rabbits started with carrots at 5months. then building it up to 5different fruit/veg at 7months
can i say..
babies are only AWAWY from there mom at about 6 or 7 weeks old.
they are very easy to upset there stomachs. the dierihrea mean, that that veg does not suit that rabbit. so dont fed it.
gradually add in fruit/veg at one at a time.
i would start only at the middle of 5months.
then build it up.
make sure the rabbit with dierhrea is hydrated and eatting the pellet food.
i would give less of the veg/fruit until they get none.
so stop it gradually.

I started with veg as soon as I got each bun and I got them around ages 15 weeks, 8 weeks, and 5months. I just fed them a little bit at first and started with vegetables that aren't too watery like carrots and slowly introduced more. I don't believe in not giving vegetables until they are six months and many people are now starting to believe it may be a myth. I just wouldn't give them alot of a varied amountof vegetables, that is what causes diarrhea. ;)

If their mom was eating veggies, they should be fine with the occasional veggie treat. Introduce greens slowly, as mentioned, and don't give more than a little bit (one half leaf of romaine, for instance). I think you should hold off on giving Astro greens for now since he is sensitive to them. Wait a few weeks and try again.

irishbunny wrote:
I don't believe in not giving vegetables until they are six months and many people are now starting to believe it may be a myth.
The breeder that I see quite often, feeds the mother fruits and vegetables and some times the babies would get a nibble here and there.The breedernever had any problems. This baby was only a few weeks old.

oigc54.jpg

According to MediRabbit.com and rabbit.org

It is very important that a baby is nursed for the first 8 weeks of life. Then alfalfa hay and pellets may be added to their diets. As they're weaned from nursing, their diet should consist of unlimited alfalfa hay and pellets. At about 12 - 16 weeks old vegetables may be introduced slowly into their diets, one vegetable at a time. At about 7 months of age, start switching them from unlimited alfalfa hay and pellets to Timothy hay and limited Timothy pellets.

Thanks everyone! I did read some information on the internet about age's for introducing veges & fruit and some very comflicting advice on what was good for them and what wasn't!!! I think their Mamma was on veges for sure as Poppy has no trouble with them, I have a feeling its the carrots that upset Astro, too sugary so I am going to limit that to just a little bit of peeled skin I think if anything. I can't eliminate greens altogether as they go out on the grass (and are right now!), so I think I will just be careful, I don't like the soft poo's - messy! They still have some shape to them.

They both really enjoy eating hay and pellets, and do drink well too - so Astro is not getting dehydrated.

I am amazed my two are so young, they are big though - were in the petshop at 5.5wks old!!! And Poppy had veges the very day he came home to us....

So I think I will limit their greens, esp. if they have spent the day on the grass.... they just seem to LOVE it when you put in something fresh and yummy to nibble!!!

One thing - what is timothy hay & timothy pellets? We just get fresh hay from a farm supply place in town here - dry from the fields....

They were 5.5 weeks old in the pet shop!:pssd: That's illegal here! Baby bunnies cannot be separated from their mom before the age of 8 weeks. That doesn't mean it isn't done, but it's still illegal.

I'm guessing that it's Timothy hay that you're getting from the farm. Pellets are made with timothy hay and other ingredients. You can buy it from pet stores although I'm not too sure I'd trust the pet store where you bought your bunnies! Or, buy it online. I've used http://www.rabbitstop.com/.

The main thing to look for in pellets is NO junk food, whether alfalfa based or Timothy based. There are bags of pellets that include dried carrots, apple, seeds, banana, dried corn etc. That's BAD! The only stuff you want in the pellet food is pellets. Look for high fiber and low protein. Protein shouldn't be more than 14% and fiber should be 18% or more. I feed Zupreem which has 14% protein and 28% fiber. There are several good pellets on the market.

Don't buy pellets like Kaytee's Fiesta! It has all kinds of junk food in it and it's protein is 15% while it's fiber is only 16%. Very crappy food.

And, you're right there does seem to be alot of conflicting information about rabbit diets. I try to hit a "middle ground". Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Younger bunnies can have alfalfa pellets and hay, up to around 6-8mo. Look for one with the highest fiber and lowest protein. Same goes for an adult (timothy) pellet.

Well we are in NZ and I haven't actually looked at any commercial brands of pellets - I purchased my pellets through the same place I got the hay and the boys are loviing them, they are simply pellets and looks like they have hay in them and possibly a little corn - well it looks like that.

I know it seems really young to have my boys in the petshop, but they are quite large and seem very happy - esp now! WOW - so they should still be with Mum up to 8wks old? I know the Mum bunny has had another litter since my boys and the lady who bred my boys is experienced and a good Mum to her bunny babys.

I will be going to visit her and will see how they all live and to see Mum & Dad bunny.

nattyw wrote:
One thing - what is timothy hay & timothy pellets? We just get fresh hay from a farm supply place in town here - dry from the fields....
Timothy pellets I don't think are sold here, If you see any tell me! Same as hay, we don't have any of the seperate variety's we mainly havemeadow hay which is a mix or lots. Some good pellets here are Country Harvest and NRM, don't buy any of those ones from the supermarket, those vitapet ones they are crap!!I think the Kaytee Fiesta is one of the expensive ones here anyway looks like bird seed.

I have fed Sweetie some veggies since I got her and she has done fine. I got her when she was 6 weeks. I still limit the amount of veggies though.

Both my rabbits get veggies every so often. I may start giving them more veggies as they get older!

Thanks Pepnfluff for the NZ info - I actually looked at the pellet mix at the supermarket today and it looked interesting....! Had dried vege's etc in it and seeds.

Nice to have some info about some good brands - the one I get at the farm supply shop is $1.60 per kilo and its what they feed the petshop bunnys - sooooo cheap! And its just a basic pellet but the boys love it so that is good.... they also enjoy their field hay and it sure smells yummy!

I tried my best tonite not to give them any veg but when they went into their hutch after being on the grass all day, they were waiting - waiting and waiting and waiting for something, no nibbling of fresh hay (nice clean hutch!) - they were wanting their veg treat, so I couldn't disappoint, they got some cabbage and were happy buns! I shall see what happens with the poops in the morning - LOL!

Pet_Bunny wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
I don't believe in not giving vegetables until they are six months and many people are now starting to believe it may be a myth.
The breeder that I see quite often, feeds the mother fruits and vegetables and some times the babies would get a nibble here and there.The breedernever had any problems. This baby was only a few weeks old.

oigc54.jpg

OMG OMG!!!! Cute OVERLOAD!!!!!! I want to pet it sooo bad!:inlove::inlove:

Super CUTE! I swear my boys have grown heaps in a week or so since we have had them - esp. Poppy as we have had him two weeks now - his ears look loads bigger than when we got him!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back