7 year old female rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a female rabbit who is over 7 years and 6 months old from an arl they did not spay her. How can anyone tell if she has had any litters before ? The arl had no information on weither or not she had babies before. She is also starting to lose her fur on her face. She lives outdoors with the other 5 rabbits but in separate hutches.

She is losing around her eyes and near her forehead. Her eyes are clear.

Attachments

• received_202986100533188.jpeg
    received_202986100533188.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 13
You can't tell if she has had babies before, at least not without going to a vet. Anyways, she's really too old to be subjecting her to pregnancy and a litter, and doing so could be quite risky and dangerous to her.

The fur loss, you would need to post a clear close up picture with no cage bars in between. You can't really see anything clearly in the photo that's been posted.

I want at least one litter out of her.

Hm.

First, even if she had one litter, that most likely wasn't recently but when she was young. No way to tell if there was one at all.
That means she went a very long time without litters. Lots of time for things to get stiff and rusty, and for fat to accumulate in the wrong places. Living in a cage isn't an active lifestyle.
So, even if you can get her pregnant, which may proof difficult, the risk that something goes wrong (like, a lot of suffering and dying) is rather high under this circumstances.

Second, that runny eyes. That might be something benign or not, or it might be diet related (like blocked tear duct from overgrowing teeth roots due to being fed hard stuff like grains), or it's genetic, at least the disposition to get it.
I wouldn't breed a rabbit with an obvious health problem, except for meat.

It's not unheard of that does at such a high age had successful accidential litters, but if she wasn't bred at least once a year until now I wouldn't try it on purpose, unless maybe some rare, very desireable genetic traits were at stake that were worth a shot to save.

Last edited:
Hm.

First, even if she had one litter, that most likely wasn't recently but when she was young. No way to tell if there was one at all.
That means she went a very long time without litters. Lots of time for things to get stiff and rusty, and for fat to accumulate in the wrong places. Living in a cage isn't an active lifestyle.
So, even if you can get her pregnant, which may proof difficult, the risk that something goes wrong (like, a lot of suffering and dying) is rather high under this circumstances.

Second, that runny eyes. That might be something benign or not, or it might be diet related (like blocked tear duct from overgrowing teeth roots due to being fed hard stuff like grains), or it's genetic, at least the disposition to get it.
I wouldn't breed a rabbit with an obvious health problem, except for meat.

It's not unheard of that does at such a high age had successful accidential litters, but if she wasn't bred at least once a year until now I wouldn't try it on purpose, unless maybe some rare, very desireable genetic traits were at stake that were worth a shot to save.
Her eyes are clear

Take her to a vet if you’re not sure, shouldn’t be breeding a rabbit who isn’t in good health, especially as older one! If your intention is to breed you want to get younger rabbits of a better pedigree so you aren’t just breeding for the sake of it. This poor bun would be better just being loved and cared for without putting such a toll on her body.

I do have two younger females who are only 3 months old they are mini rex i also have 3 males. 1 of which is 3 months old, the other 2 males are just over a year old. So I was just wondering about the oldest female. I know she is old i was just wondering if it was safe to breed her but i guess not so thank you all

Just wanted to add that feeding a rabbit an entire head of cabbage is ill advised even if she was accustomed to eating cabbage. If you just got her and don't know what greens she is or isn't used to, it's even dangerous.

I also would agree with Prietler that it would be good to give her some room to run around if she spends much time in that tiny cage.

It was a super small head of cabbage that i gave her. I gave it to her because i was going to be gone two days. I also do have a homemade run for my rabbits but i need to fix it before any of my rabbits can run around in it

Latest posts

Back