7 weeks neutered - still humping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Reaction score
I put my buck on the floor for some exercise with my female. He has been neutered for 7 weeks, he was showing no interest in her so I though it would be ok to leave them alone and when I came back they where going at it like rabbits! So could she get pregnant?

If she isn't spayed then she will be hormonal and more inclined to hump. But if he was neutered properly, his hormones should be pretty much gone at this point, with no chance of making her pregnant. But neutering doesn't get rid of humping behavior entirely, just the hormonal aspect of it. Neutered rabbits will still hump some, as a show of dominance.

If your rabbits aren't bonded and this is something you are attempting, you need to be careful about putting them together, and never unsupervised at first. They are clearly showing dominance issues if they are both trying to do the humping, and in these cases one of the rabbits can easily get irritated with the other and a fight can break out, which in some cases can cause serious injuries.

Thanks I'm relieved to know he can't get her pregnant there's a lot of conflicting info online about how long a male can remain fertile after neutering. Can sperm really stay alive in the body as long as 6 weeks? I wonder... anyway I will separate for a while longer and see if my male's hormones calm down a bit.

My vet told me that it's safest to leave it 6 weeks because there have been cases of the sperm being active that late after de-sexing. If you're going to bond them, have a little look at the diaries on here or the general information guides, they're a lot of help if it's your first time.
The humping was probably their way of finding out who is going to be king (or queen) bee!
Hope it all goes well, best of luck!

:brownbunny

Dominance humping is very common when bunnies are trying to work out a new relationship - I'm currently attempting to add a neutered male to my two bonded females; while I suspect some of Normie's humping is hormonal (it's only been 5 weeks since his neuter), Gazzles has humped both Nala and Normie during bonding sessions and she's been spayed for over a year.

This site has numerous wonderful articles on bunny bonding that you may find helpful :)

Thanks, I've read a lot of the bunny bonding threads on here. These bunnies seem to be getting along great I haven't seen them fight at all.

Latest posts

Back