6 Weeks Pregnant at 17 Years Old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my first child when I was barely 20y/o. While I was a bit older than you are I will be honest it was ROUGH!! My husband and I got married when we found out I was pregnant (my family's option was marriage or adoption). I missed out on alot. I missed out on the partying and socializing that my friends did. But I wouldn't change it for the world. Yes it was tough. Money was tight and we didn't have alot. But I still would not trade that time for anything. I now have three sons. That baby will be 20y/o on April 1st. My second son will be 19 in june and is going in the military and my youngest is your age. If your family is willing to help you out then let them. Get your education especially college (it's the one thing I didn't do and I regret it). And love that baby with all of your heart. And if you do go the adoption road as others have said try for an open adoption. Then not only do you know how that baby is doing and not spend your life wondering, but also someday you will be involved in that child's life :)

And as to the insurance have your boyfriend talk to his recruiter. That baby should be covered from day one of its birth. As to your care if you are not married I do not think they will cover you. But your parents insurance still might as you are under 18y/o. If not apply for state coverage until you get on your feet.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I'm in a very similar situation as you. I just turned 19, and got married as soon as I turned 18. I did not finish school and plan to get my GED after my baby is born. I am 7 months pregnant as of today which is 2/28/11, so I got pregnant at early 18. My husband and I are a very young couple, but we planned for the baby. My husband is also military so I know what thats like. With the benefits you guys will be getting, I can tell you, the baby WILL be taken are of if you keep it. A baby is an amazing thing and if you think you can do it, go for it! Plenty of young people like you make "mistakes" and become pregnant but in the end, they wouldnt trade their baby for the world. I have quite a few friends, all of which are moms now and had there babies between 16 and 1 years old, and believe it or not, out of all of them, Im the oldest having my baby at 19. So I know first hand, young girls CAN do it, they have to trust in themselves. If you want this baby, only you can choose his or her life. Its something to really think about. Since I chose to get pregnant, I am very exited about bringing my baby into the world. Even though your baby is small right now, he or she has a little heart beating inside you. It's beating for you. Moms and babies form a bond while the baby is still in the belly, even before you meet your baby, you will love him or her more than life itself, its weird to say, you will love that little baby more than you could ever love something and you havnt even met it. And Babies do not ruin lives, they add to them and make them better. You dont have to give up things in your life, dont think of it like that, rather, you get to add something to those things to make them more exciting, fun, and memorable. A baby is a blessing, and I can promise, if you and the babys dad get married, the military will be there to take care of that baby with you. The military has helped me so much threw my pregnancy and I am so grateful. Please, really think about the choices your making for your baby, he or she cant decide so it's up to you. But remember, no matter what decision you make, you are now a mom and always will be.

Thanks so much for the support and advice guys. It means a lot...

My mom went through the same thing as me, and she ended up giving her baby up for adoption. I think she expects me to do that... and I'm willing, but emotionally, I want to keep the baby. I know that makes things more difficult and complicated... but it's what I'm feeling right now.

One thing I would suggest, since you are going to carry the baby to term, is to realize that you don't have to make up your mind right now. Chances are you'll change your mind back and fourth several times, in fact. I would take full advantage of these nine months and use them to research all of your options carefully. Talk to other teen mothers. See about your options for government and non-prof assistance. See how on board your families are about both options; having a good network of support can literally be the difference between the responsible choice being adoption vs. keeping. Have other moms that you know, including relatives, help give you some realistic ideas of the good and bad of child rearing. Start investigating the costs of childcare NOW to see if it is something you can handle, and use that time to learn "baby on a budget" - there are cheaper alternatives to virtually every baby product and need out there. Basically... take your time. This is a HUGE decision and although it may be tempting to want to closure of a decision as early as possible, taking your time and really thinking it out is going to leave you with the fewest regrets.

Also remember that a LOT can change in your life in nine months. The situation you are in right now - financially, emotionally, your/the baby's health, your relationship, etc. - may not be the situation you are in by then. That is another factor in your decision making process; how things progress along with your pregnancy. Pregnancy has a habit of throwing some surprise punches, both good and bad.

Latest posts

Back