6 month mark for our Flemish Giant - what do we start with?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
Our Flemish Giant, Phoenix is already a big boy. He's about 15 pounds now, and we have only fed him the pellets that the breeder fed him, plus all the timothy hay he could want, and we did give him occasional alfalfa (which I understand we should no longer give him now?).

It's my understanding that we should not give him unlimited pellets now, but rather a certain amount - how do you figure that?

And, we are excited about giving him fresh veggies and the occasional fruit. I have no idea where to start.....we will be getting most, if not all, of the veggies and fruit from our local grocery store. I just need to know what to start with...

Also - a question about his chewing needs - our bun is a bit picky about the stuff he chews on. We bought some stuff from the pet store, but most of it he just throws over to the side. The one thing he loves, he goes through quickly - a little willow ball. He chews it up and then is done playing. It is gone in around a day or less. We thought he might like some of the apple branch toys, but he hardly touches them. He likes to nibble at linoleum more than anything. :?

I am worried about his teeth getting too long.....so what do you recommend at this age for chewing?

The guideline regarding 6 months refers to most bunnies, but since Flemish often keep growing until a year old, at best I would only suggest cutting down on the alfalfa--not completely limiting it. Same thing with the pellets. When he's done growing, he should probably get about 3/4 to 1 c. of pellets a day (I think the guideline runs about 1/4c. per 5 lbs body weight...or if you want to weigh his feed, about 1 oz per 1 lb.)

You can start introducing him to veggies (and fruits). I would start with things like cilantro, parsley, dark lettuce, beet tops, etc. Introduce one at a time, a little at a time, gradually increasing the amount of it over a week. If you see any changes in poop or general behavior, cut back. If poop becomes runny or the rabbit huddles in the corner as if in pain, stop feeding the new veg immediately, and probably avoid it for a while. Avoid gassy vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, beans until you've got him well established eating vegetables. Don't feed tomatoes or potatoes at all. Fruits and sweeter vegetables (carrots) should only be given as treats anyway, so introduce those after you've got him well on vegetables, and again, only do one kind at a time--give him a piece or two every day or every other day for a week or two and watch how his body reacts to it before trying a different kind.

He should eventually get up to eating 2-4 cups of vegetables a day (although they're by no means required with a sufficient hay/pellet diet).

Try to think what he would get in the wild. Mine loves dandelion greens from the yard,tall grasses from the yard,grape leaves,cilantro,strawberry leaves and parsley from the garden. And hay at all times.

Latest posts

Back