$500 for a Teddywidder?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kora

Reaction score
My rabbit is getting spayed next month, and I'd like to bond her with another rabbit sometime this year. I'm seriously considering adopting an already fixed rabbit, but I've also been looking at rabbitries in my area. I found a Teddywidder rabbitry fairly close to me, and I would love to get one because I've been interested in that breed for ages now. However, the breeder is charging $500 for her Teddywidders. That seems a little steep of a price to me, but I also know that they're a pretty rare breed, so could that be why she's charging so much? Can someone tell me the usual price range of a Teddywidder?

I think it's an imported breed from Germany. Plus it being a rare breed here. And if these are show quality rabbits. All these points are going to contribute to the higher cost.

If you aren't a breeder and don't intend to show, and if you're only wanting a pet, I would recommend looking at reputable rescues or shelters. Getting an adult rabbit that's already fixed, will usually save a lot of hassle and money. Plus if they allow bunny dates, this will provide a greater chance of finding a compatible match to bond your current bun with.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

I think it's an imported breed from Germany. Plus it being a rare breed here. And if these are show quality rabbits. All these points are going to contribute to the higher cost.

If you aren't a breeder and don't intend to show, and if you're only wanting a pet, I would recommend looking at reputable rescues or shelters. Getting an adult rabbit that's already fixed, will usually save a lot of hassle and money. Plus if they allow bunny dates, this will provide a greater chance of finding a compatible match to bond your current bun with.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
I'm more than likely going to adopt! There's a great bunny adoption program pretty close to me that I look at frequently. Plus, I don't know if I have it in me to keep and care for two rabbits separately for months on end, get the new rabbit fixed, and have it MAYBE work out between the two, especially in my small apartment. I just love the Teddywidder breed, and that's probably the only breed I'd seek out if I weren't to adopt. I just wanted to make sure $500 wasn't an overcharge. I don't typically have $500 to spare regardless lol

Where are you located? My teddywidder just had babies yesterday. They are full breed American teddywidders with great genes. Both my male and female cane with pedigrees so these Lil buns will too. I got them from a breeder who also sells them for $500 depending on the color! This is my first litter and I will be selling them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never heard of the breed so I googled it. They look adorable!!!

They also sound like they require a BIG commitment. This comment really got me ... although she does have 7 😁
https://rabbitpros.com/teddywidder-rabbit-breed/#comment-821
The maintenance is a lot. They are insanely cute and look like stuffed animals. I somehow ended up finding my teddywidders with good genes and pedigrees. I have spoke to some and read it's hard to find two good qualify teddywidder bunnies to mate and end up with a good batch of buns. Both mine came from great litters. I'm not sure how I'm going to rehome them though. I also don't want to breed them again. My female is mean to me while pregnant and won't let me groom her right now.

The maintenance is a lot. They are insanely cute and look like stuffed animals. I somehow ended up finding my teddywidders with good genes and pedigrees. I have spoke to some and read it's hard to find two good qualify teddywidder bunnies to mate and end up with a good batch of buns. Both mine came from great litters. I'm not sure how I'm going to rehome them though. I also don't want to breed them again. My female is mean to me while pregnant and won't let me groom her right now.
This is Jon Snow. My male bunny haha.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673150440463.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673150440463.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1

Do you have a blower? I know people that have angora's will often use pet blowers to maintain the rabbits coat, as brushing can damage it.

If this was a one time 'accidental' litter, you could list the kits under the 'rescue me' subforum, but only for a reasonable rehoming fee (eg less than $100). If this isn't going to be a one time thing and you're getting into breeding/showing, there may be a local ARBA group, or 4H if you're a youth, that you could contact.

This is what they are

Interesting!

I personally would've gone with Fuzzy Angorahead (or Lion Lopgora?), but since the Germans developed it, I suppose they get to name it.

Is this breed pronounced Teddywidder, or does it retain its Germanic pronunciation of Teddyviddah?

My rabbit is getting spayed next month, and I'd like to bond her with another rabbit sometime this year. I'm seriously considering adopting an already fixed rabbit, but I've also been looking at rabbitries in my area. I found a Teddywidder rabbitry fairly close to me, and I would love to get one because I've been interested in that breed for ages now. However, the breeder is charging $500 for her Teddywidders. That seems a little steep of a price to me, but I also know that they're a pretty rare breed, so could that be why she's charging so much? Can someone tell me the usual price range of a Teddywidder?
I have been working on American Teddywidder here in the US since 2018 and my prices range between $100 (pet) and go up to $300 max. I have sold several to people that have upped their prices into the $300-700 range after purchasing from me. I want to keep this breed affordable for everyone so I have kept my prices lower to ensure that happens. I really hate these new breeders getting them and then raising prices on them. Those of us that have been working on them to develop them to get the breed passed eventually are committed to raising top quality animals.

I understand your frustration, not just because of the price but because there sure are some out there that breed for a quick buck, and not for health and breed standards...

I'm not sure keeping the price low is in your own interest.
First, people who want that breed because it's trendy quite likely think they get better animals if they pay more. That's how trends and fashion work, stupid as it is. That fad will ebb out eventually anyway.

Second, you're supplying competitors with cheap stock. Selling rabbits already neutered would be an option over here, but vet costs in the US can be ridiculous...

Third, your indeed noble notion to make it possible for everyone to enjoy those magnificant rabbits - well, I'm sure you get a clue what's up after a few minutes of talk, so something along the line "contact me for special offers" or so might at least in some instances make it possible for you to give away rabbits way cheaper than the regular price. I do that a lot, I only have meat mutts but I've seen that if I advertise them too cheap I do not sell any, people mix up value with price. When I talk to people, and see that they have honest plans for breeding for self sufficiency (which is my breeding goal) and such, not looking for cheap meat, I can still give discount.

I agree with Preitler. If these same breeders you're selling to, are turning around and selling at exorbitant prices and people are actually buying at that price, if you have good lines, you should sell at the going rate. No reason to give these other breeders a price break from you, if they aren't going to pay it forward and do the same for others. Along with the reasoning that other inexperienced breeders, may not think you have the best stock because you're selling at below the average asking price.

And like Preitler said, you can always discount on a case by case basis, where you make an exception to help someone out who you feel is deserving and really needs it. And any pet quality that you sell, you could have the spay/neuter done presale, then just sell at a price to cover surgery costs and feed.

I agree with Preitler. If these same breeders you're selling to, are turning around and selling at exorbitant prices and people are actually buying at that price, if you have good lines, you should sell at the going rate. No reason to give these other breeders a price break from you, if they aren't going to pay it forward and do the same for others. Along with the reasoning that other inexperienced breeders, may not think you have the best stock because you're selling at below the average asking price.

And like Preitler said, you can always discount on a case by case basis, where you make an exception to help someone out who you feel is deserving and really needs it. And any pet quality that you sell, you could have the spay/neuter done presale, then just sell at a price to cover surgery costs and feed.
Great points for sure. Being one of the very few breeders here in the USA that are actually focusing on developing this breed to have sound health, genetics, easy care coats, and amazing temperaments is absolutely NOT cheap at all. I buy only the best quality rabbits from top show breeders to breed into my lines that I have used to develop this breed. Mine are all 100% American Teddywidder and I have never used imports but I do know some people that have brought some in and they charge insane prices for them. I have seen anywhere from $500-1200 for a European Teddywidder import here in America. I have been working on this breed since 2018 and I have been working with several judges and members of the American Rabbit Breeders Association as well as a small handful of reputable breeders working on this breed here to produce the BEST Teddywidder we can. They truly are the cutest most sweet little bun buns. If anyone would like to follow my progress, my rabbitry page is Log into Facebook
I breed and show other breeds but I like to think of Teddywidder as my main focus right now so if anyone has any questions about this breed I would be more than happy to answer here or send me a PM at Frolicking Lop Meadows.

When purchasing Teddywidder, you definitely do have to watch who you are buying from because not all are in it for the rabbits and if they do not focus on health, good genetics, and good easy care coats then you will definitely have a mess. It is no fun to try to care for a rabbit who you can not keep properly groomed with wool that matts down to the skin. You can keep them shaved 24/7 but even then it can cause a lot of skin irritation and painful sores. LOL my name on this profile is Zombina, which is actually one of mu very first and favorite teddywidder does.

I'm more than likely going to adopt! There's a great bunny adoption program pretty close to me that I look at frequently. Plus, I don't know if I have it in me to keep and care for two rabbits separately for months on end, get the new rabbit fixed, and have it MAYBE work out between the two, especially in my small apartment. I just love the Teddywidder breed, and that's probably the only breed I'd seek out if I weren't to adopt. I just wanted to make sure $500 wasn't an overcharge. I don't typically have $500 to spare regardless lol
I actually would recommend looking into purchasing from a reputable breeder that knows this breed vs a shelter. You won't find teddywidder at local shelters since they are still very rare here in the USA, not onle that but shelters are not going to be knowledgeable in this breed. Not only that but you don't know the history behind the animal at the shelter as far as health and genetics go. Finding a reputable breeder that will be available for the duration of the rabbits life to help you and answer any health and behavioral questions is a great resource!!!!! I have helped people learn how to litter train their rabbits, go over feed issues, treat a variety of issues that popped up such as G.I. stasis, and many other things. I am not a veterinarian by any means but I have extensive experience and knowledge in rabbits as a species and have been treating my own rabbits for various issues that can and do pop up for over a decade.

As much as people advocate for shelters, shelters are also a business that takes money for animals. Not that it is intentional but this also supports backyard breeders. Backyard breeders meaning people that do not breed in the best interests of the animal physically, mentally, or healthily that have only one focus and that is making money. Many people out there are against breeding and breeders and now even on facebook you can't even post animals for sale unless you are a shelter, which hurts eithical breeders and IMO helps support these backyard breeders to continue to breed. I myself have shut down a couple of backyard breeders and stopped them from ever being able to breed again. There was a case here in the USA that went viral from my area here in Omaha NE where there was a lady named Jaime Kimbrough that was shut down. It was one of the worst cases of animal abuse and neglect that the officers had seen in their entire lifetime of working in animal control. The details were horrific. You can google it and there are several news articles out from all over the USA about it. Reputation is everything in the world of rabbits and many people don't take the time to research reputable breeders, they just see something cute and buy it. I really wish the slogan "don't shop, adopt" would stop. There is nothing WRONG with shopping over adopting and shaming people for not adopting is crazy.

I personally only support reputable breeders in all animals so I just wanted to share some red flags and perspectives I have come to find out in time because even backyard breeders will tell you they are reputable breeders to get you to buy so you have to do some detective work lol. Example: If I wanted to add a dog to my family, say I want a Belgian Shepherd (because I do). I would look at say, Petfinder.com and start to gather what prices they usually go for for a quality and well bred animal. By quality and well bred I would look for health certs that say both parents to that puppy have been tested for hips, elbows, eyes, etc. and free of any of these issues. I would check out breeders websites. If they show and breed to a standard, that is also important. Some people don't know what a standard is but it is a strict set of rules in which a quality animal must be bred. Visibly their bodies show they do not have any issues. Judges check them over from head to toe. They check teeth, nails, reproductive organs, ears, and nose. They check fur and wool quality to ensure it is free from matts, they look for clean and healthy skin, coat, and bodily flesh condition which suggests the breeder feeds a proper diet because an animal that is fed nutritionally complete feed will absolutely be apparent in these regions because reputable breeders want the best nutrition for their animals. Backyard breeders don't care about nutrition they usually feed the cheapest food on the market that is not nutritionally complete and this will show in their coats and overall condition look. Any animal that has a visible health issue can't be shown. Most show breeders are going to have the best stock to purchase from as they have dedicated a lot of time and money into producing quality animals that over time will earn a reputation for their clean bill of health and temperaments. Judges (for dogs at least) also will note temperament of the animal and it will be required to show certain desirable traits such as appearing confident, alert, and well socialized. Socialization is HUGE with any animal. A confident animal is a healthy animal that feels good. If they are raised correctly they should feel confident and outgoing about humans. It's not imperative to find a show breeder but it definitely does help find more "reputable" types of breeders. A reputable breeder is going to have some kind a reviews with happy purchases. They are going to offer their help, resources, and answer any and all questions you have before you purchase and throughout the life of that animal. Backyard breeders don't care about their animals, once they have money in hand and animal is gone, they no longer care. You will usually see them selling extremely large surplus of animals VERY FREQUENTLY. You will notice if they do list dams and sires that the dams are bred often, usually having one litter after the other. Reputable show breeders are going to have a lot of show wins posted. Reputable breeders are going to be extremely knowledgeable about the animal species that they breed because it is in the best interest of that animal that they do so. Buyers should also be researching and learning as much as they can about an animal they are possibly wanting. I have wanted to add a few different species as pets to my home but after researching more into the animals, decided they would not be a good fit. An example would be a skunk. I have wanted a pet skunk for years but they do not have a "homing sense" meaning if they get lose outside they will never come back and have no sense of finding home. I have younger children that are not responsible enough to be trusted in the fact that they would not accidentally let the skunk out. Many reputable breeders are knowledgeable not just about the species they breed but also genetics of all kinds as well as all of the different diseases that species can carry, the signs and symptoms of them, and how to treat them if they are treatable.

Rabbits as a species can somewhat be difficult because of the fact they are a prey animal. They can hide sickness very well until it is almost too late. Many species of animals naturally carry the very bacteria or viruses that can make them sick just by simply having their immune system suppressed. Most rabbits carry pasteurella, coccidia, and staphylococcus to name a few. If their immune system takes a dip for any reason, it can allow these bacteria to multiply to unhealthy levels in which your rabbit can't fight which can then bring forth the many different health issues that come along with them including and leading up to death if not cured or treated. Stress is a major cause of immune system issues and stress for rabbits can come from traveling to a new home, a new home, change of feed, too much noise, not enough exercise, being handled too frequently, too noisy of a house, being bothered by other pets (dogs, cats) and children, and the list goes on and on. Not only that but many of these bacteria can be transmitted to humans and can be especially bad for anyone that has any kind of compromised immune system.

Sorry for the book, I just like to help educate in places where I can and hopefully the information can be of use to someone.

Latest posts

Back