5 week old sibling rabbits humping each other and a musky smell?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bree1699

Reaction score
Hey all!

So, as I talked about in my last thread, I recently adopted two baby rabbits from a coworker that are only about 5 weeks old. Unfortunately, their momma got pregnant again right after they were born and kicked them out after she had the second litter so here we are. I'm very inexperienced but I am trying my best!

Anyways, I woke up this morning to find them circling and humping each other pretty aggressively. They were taking turns with each other and when I tried to separate them it just got worse. The woman I got them from had a friend sex them who thought they were both boys but they're so young it's hard to tell. I had thought that the bigger of the two might be female because she displays some stereotypical female rabbit behaviors, but she was doing most of the humping so now I'm not so sure. Is this normal? Does this mean they're both male? Do I need to separate them? They're so young I can't imagine them being sexually mature at all yet, but when I picked one up to try to get them to stop he had a really musky smell too? Please advise!

Hi! I'm not 100% sure about the humping situation, but it's possible that your rabbit was smelling musky because he needed his scent glands cleaned, or it could be something else. Take a look at your buns scent glands, if you notice the smell is coming from there take a look at the video below and clean them :)

Humping can be rabbits trying to show dominance. But I they start fighting really badly I would separate them so they can‘t hurt each other. (I doubt it’s

Rabbits can be neutered/spayed at usually 6 months (vets usually prefer)

Male Rabbits reach sexual maturity at about 3-4 months Female rabbits mature faster than male rabbits
(they’re 5 weeks old so I doubt it)

At around 3-4 months you could try to check their gender ( a LOT of times a very young rabbit ) (your rabbit’s age)
gets mistaken for a different gender cause they haven’t grown fully.

Also a little before they reach 3 months I would separate them cause they could fight and really hurt each other cause of the hormones
they could also have baby’s if one of them turns out to be a girl

I REALLY would recommend getting both your rabbits spayed/neutered with a quality rabbit vet. :) ( they become better pets and it helps annoying habits ). Sorry this is so long 😐:)

775E9B0A-FE88-4FFD-84C4-9F152EE7F345.png44C9EB54-9FFD-4F75-B83C-AAC06758E958.png

Last edited:
Based on the photos in your other thread I think they’re a little older than your friend said. At any rate, this is more of a dominance issue. Females can hump, too. You could separate them for a bit while still keeping them close to each other, and then try putting them together again.

Latest posts

Back