4 weeks post neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip&Piper

Reaction score
... and somehow my bunnies got out of their cages and spent the day together. The doe is not yet spayed. What are the chances she is pregnant?

Their cages share a double door, so when one opens, they both open. I must not have latched it properly before work this morning so they had full access to each other and essentially the entire basement all day.

Since his neuter, Skipper’s behaviour has noticeably changed. In the last couple weeks I have been letting them out together supervised while they eat their veggies. Skipper used to try and mount Piper pretty much constantly but that has all but stopped. Now, it’s usually Piper that will dig at Skipper (not sure what that means?) and then she sprays pee on or near him. So, I had quite a mess to clean up when I got home, but I’m feeling like at this point he’s no longer fertile, what are your thoughts?

I should have gotten Piper spayed ASAP after confirming she was not pregnant after the last accidental breeding, but she was having the wheezing issues and I didn’t want to have her put under during that, and I also thought I would wait for Spring Break, so I could be home more to keep an eye on her during recovery. (I work in a school)

Now I’m not sure if I need to wait another 35 days or if I can be reasonably confident that Skipper is infertile.

It means she probably would like to be bred.

Not likely she is pregnant, especially if he no longer seems so hormonal. But it's also not entirely impossible.

Thanks for the fast reply! I really don’t want to wait another month to have her spayed.. Spring Break is in two weeks and that’s when I’d like to book it, but I don’t want to risk it if there’s a chance she’s pregnant. My gut says she’s not, but I was sure she was before and she wasn’t, so what do I know, ha! I just can’t even believe this happened!

You should be able to feel the babies at 2 weeks anyway by palpatine her abdomen. There is a def chance that she could be as they can still get a doe preggers after being snipped. I agree with JBun in commenting on your Does behavior though she just wants to breed. Monitoring her behavior in the meanwhile will tell you more as to whether shes preganant or not as well. If she continues those behaviors and doesnt act like she wants absolutely nothing to do with him then shes more than likely not pregnant. They'll likely still do occasional mount for asserting dominance until they settle with the leveling out of hormones. Your vet will more than likely double check for kits before doing a spay surgery so theres that at least. Good luck to you and yours!

Wait. Did I read that right? The male has been mounting her for the past couple weeks when you've let them out together? That is, just 2 weeks after neuter he was mounting her?

Wait. Did I read that right? The male has been mounting her for the past couple weeks when you've let them out together? That is, just 2 weeks after neuter he was mounting her?

I think (s)he meant the mounting was pre neuter behavior, but not allowed post neuter when supervised eating veggies together.

I realized that was confusing after I posted it but yes, what JBun said! At about 2-3 weeks post neuter I tried letting them out together for veggies, and watched them closely. They would eat peacefully but as soon as the food was gone he would start sniffing at her behind so then I’d put one back and divide play time. This doesn’t happen any more, instead it’s her who starts digging at him.

I second JBun's opinion - unlikely but not impossible. However, even on the off-chance that she is pregnant, it's possible to still do the spay (especially if it's really early in the pregnancy)... this is known as an "emergency spay" and functions as an abortion since the uterus is removed during the spay, but it's really not any more dangerous than if she weren't pregnant.

If you want to get her spayed sooner rather than later, your best bet is to call your vet's office and ask the receptionist if you can speak with the vet directly (they'll probably have to call you back at their convenience). Be 100% honest with the vet about the whole situation, the male's behavioral changes, the length of time post-neuter, etc. and make sure the vet is comfortable spaying a doe that *might* be pregnant (but probably isn't). If the vet is on board, then go for it.

I was told by my vet after taking my male cat in for neutering that his male hormones would take a while to back off of the breeding desire. Like, getting the brain to finally realize that he is just a friend any more and not a suitor. Immediate dismissal of the ladies doesn't happen as soon as he leaves the vet's office. Same will happen for a male rabbit as well.

Latest posts

Back