4-week old kit not eating much... help =( (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
So one of my Holland does had a litter of 6 about a month ago, and the runt (can't tell if it's a girl or boy yet), does not seem to be eating much. (I'll just call him a boy for now). I visit the rabbit shed 3-4 times a day, and he's always cooped up in a corner of the cage while his littermates are either munching on hay or nibbling on pellets. Even when I give them oats in the morning and they all crowd around the dish, he stays put as if he's lazy or tired.

Also, I check his furry rump every day and every time, his vent area is plugged up with a mucus-type stool. It's a combination of both soft and hard stools encompassed in a jelly-like, yellowish clear type substance. His poop-hole is also red and swollen. It bled a little bit once.

I've been cleaning off the poops whenever possible with warm soap and water and then rinsing. I've also used a soother/anti-inflamatory cream on it, and it did nothing that I'm aware of.

He seems so frail and stiff-ish. What should I do?? =/

This sounds like the dreaded mucoid enteritis. Around weaning, the GI bacteria are really sensitive to changes because they haven't set up a stable colony yet. It takes months for the GI bacteria to stabilize. When the bacteria in the GI get out of balance for some reason, whether stress, too much carbs, rapid change in food, anything, they produce lots of that jelly-like mucus stuff.

The best thing for him is a vet right now, as a vet can give 2 useful drugs: Flagyl(metronidazole)and Questran or Bio-Sponge. The first drug will kill parasites and bad GI bacteria and is anti-inflammatory so the intestines will be less inflamed and angry. The second drug binds the toxins produced by the bad bacteria and causes them to not be absorbed. These toxins can cause lethargy and death. Since he already seems lethargic, it sounds like he needs help now.

If you absolutely cannot get him to a vet, give probiotic: BeneBac or ProBios is best, human acidophilus or other powdered probiotic is ok. Also give lots of water and/or pedialyte (not gatorade). I would go with the unflavored pedialyte if you can get it because it doesn't have as much sugar. Take out all carbs/sugars as they can make the GI bacterial imbalance worse. If you can get your hands on some Bio-Sponge, which is used most often in horses, that would be great too. It is not prescription but is not carried by many places so the only places that might have it are farm supply stores and livestock or dog/cat vets.

I have seen bunnies go downhill so fast with this problem so you really do need to move fast. There's a low chance of survival once they've gotten weak like that even with a vet's help. Best of luck to you guys.

I hope the little one makes it. Do you have any emergency vets in your area that are rabbit savvy? That would be really good right now.

Little One is doing alright. I took a sample poop to the vet and they diagnosed him with giarrdia. We have meds for him as well as all the kits because it can spread. I've also been feeding Lil One ProBiotic water to keep some fluids in him as well as a tiny smudge of BeneBac.

he should still be nursing from his mother ; if not we should have told you that right in the beginning .

The kits should nurse until 8 weeks ideally; they develop the capacity toproduce beneficial bacteria in their Gi tract through their mother's milk

Latest posts

Back