4-H debate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaiya

Allison
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should stay in 4-H or not. I really want to stay in and spend time with my friends and animals, but I really can't find anything fun about 4-H anymore. This last fair was the most boring one I've ever had! My friends had way more fun there than me! I want to stay, as I have a really good set up with my binder and flash cards (TONS of info...). I treat this like my job, and am very passionate about it. Err, well, I was... But now I'm just bored!

I'm so torn... What should I do? What would you do?

Activities like 4-H should be something you enjoy doing. Even if you don't like everything, you should still enjoy the majority of what goes on. If you don't look forward to meetings and other events, then you probably should not keep going.
You could try to find another focus in 4-H. If you are old enough, you could help mentor younger members. You might even see if you can add something to the club, I know many 4-H rabbit clubs are starting agility or rabbit hopping. One advantage of hopping is that you can do it all day, with regular showing your rabbit is on the table for a few minutes and then you sit around the rest of the time. With hopping, you can have a few events during the day. Many people have never seen hopping before, so there are lots of questions and interest in it, even if you aren't running a rabbit there is still stuff to do and people to talk to.

I've decided to stay in 4-H. This year I'm running for club Vice President, which will let me plan community service activities for the club. Plus, it sounds like some things in the club are changing, making it more fun and enjoyable.

I am 15, as well as one of the oldest kids in the club. I have helped mentor other kids previously (between 6 and 12 yrs), but it's really not my thing.

I could see if we could start some rabbit agility or hopping, but there are no competitions around here to go to. We can still do it for fun though! (And, some of the rabbits in the club seriously need to go on a diet, so the exersize will be good for them)

Also, I could see if we can start clicker training the chickens... :p

Thanks for the suggestions!

Korr and Sophie above you ^^^ is the perfect person to ask if you are looking for more details about starting up rabbit hopping ;)

Chickens can absolutely be done - Check out Gregory Peck on the tambourine!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10BWp-uStNc[/ame]

Have you thought about FFA? It is generally for older kids. Its the next step up from 4-h

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Not to be That Adult, but community service and leadership roles like it sounds like you want to do will definitely help with college apps/your resume (depending on whether you decide to go to college or enter the workforce). So it sounds like you're doing great!

@NorthernAutumn - I clicker trained one of my chickens to jump to my arm on command once, but then we had to find a new home for him, as he started crowing... So maybe I could try to get the rest of the club to start clicker training! And maybe clicker train the rabbits, too!

@savannahg4 - My high school does not have a FFA. I wish they did. Maybe I can talk to someone and see about starting one... We have a couple in the area. You're right - 4-H is generally directed towards the younger members, but you can be in it until you graduate high school.

@middlemuse - yeah, I keep hearing of people in high school or college needing more community service hours. Doing 4-H (and being the VP in charge of the CS projects) will present many opportunities for community service. Plus if, like you said, it helps with resumes and such, that's even better!

So basically what I've gathered is that I cannot quit 4-H. The other members look up to me, and It makes me feel important to be wanted! This last fair, I realized that I'm one of the most valuable members! The leaders turned to me when they were stumped on a chicken's breed or gender. I like helping people when I can, but mentoring the younger members isn't really my thing. However, I can do it well if I need to.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm determined to makes this the best year so far!

For hopping, you don' really need other clubs to compete against. The Canadian Rabbit Hopping Club started as a 4-H project and only have themselves to compete with. I think there are a few clubs in Washington and Oregon, so you might be able to do something. We have had 1 competition with another club in the 6-7 years the club has been running, so having other clubs to compete against is not necessary. If you even have a few members with rabbits, you can put on a bit of a show.
I have seen some videos of chickens doing a little obstacle course.

Latest posts

Back