4 H bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a very interesting conversation! I was thinking about showing my polish, dutch, and lop but I don't think I will any more... I didn't know a lot about that stuff! I think its kind of sad because the kids get attached... I get attached, that lady at the tent didn't know anything because rabbits do have feelings and they clearly express them, I don't think she has had a rabbit before!

I live in Australia and have never heard of 4 H or whatever it is called. So it all sounds a little confusing to me. But I certainly know that bunnies have feelings :)

Um... I’m reading a lot of “4h teaches kids about where meat comes from” or “4H was founded to get kids involved in livestock production”. Strictly speaking that is correct, but not the full story.

4H was founded because the federal government wanted to bring modern agricultural techniques and practices to farming in this country, but found that farmers were reluctant to listen to experts from the government. A lot of “I’ve always done it this way, and my father and his father... and I don’t want no elitist egg head to tell me how to farm”. Were said.

The idea of 4H was to introduce modern farming practices to the children of farmers. Parents would learn the techniques from helping their kids out, or when their kids saw them doing thing differently from what they were doing in 4H and asked questions.

this is a very interesting conversation! I was thinking about showing my polish, dutch, and lop but I don't think I will any more... I didn't know a lot about that stuff! I think its kind of sad because the kids get attached... I get attached, that lady at the tent didn't know anything because rabbits do have feelings and they clearly express them, I don't think she has had a rabbit before!

There’s nothing wrong with showing rabbits. My daughter showed rabbits, goats and lambs in FFA (similar to 4-H). Later, we both went on to show rabbits for a number of years thru ARBA. You should go to a show and learn more about it...there’s nothing wrong with getting attached to them. If we retired a rabbit from showing (and didn’t keep it as a pet) we found good homes for each of them.

Can I ask what "4 H" stands for????

It's the name of the club (has many chapters in the US and ?elsewhere?). The name refers to the "h" words in their pledge. I found their pledge online:
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking, my Heart to greater loyalty, my Hands to larger service, and my Health to better living, for my club, my community, my country, and my world.

It's the name of the club (has many chapters in the US and ?elsewhere?). The name refers to the "h" words in their pledge. I found their pledge online:
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking, my Heart to greater loyalty, my Hands to larger service, and my Health to better living, for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
Thanks for that. Have never heard of it. As far as I know, doesn't exist in Australia.

I know that at least in some areas I've lived (all over the USA) 4H has had different categories for rabbits. There have been meat pens, show breeding and pet categories. The youth are taught proper care and husbandry.

I have never seen anyone involved purposely lead the kids astray, telling them an animal was a pet then selling or killing it for meat. The point of the program is to teach not traumatize. Yes, I am sure that sometimes people get attached to animals they raise for meat or sale and it can be hard when parting time comes.

When my children were young we had both pets and livestock and they learned the difference as well as care and respect for all living things no matter the ultimate outcome for any individual plant or animal. They are all adults now who keep pets and love animals.

Thank you! I will try that as well as the local vets to see if I can get any help or resources.
Unfortunately, Mississippi does not have a chapter for the Rabbit house society. If I can’t find her help, sadly I’ll just put her down myself.

that is s helpful! I have looked into it and it seems as those cases were just a one-time thing. Thank you so much for your advice, I feel a lot better!

Latest posts

Back