3rd cut Timothy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I just logged into Kleenmama and she is out of 3rd cut Timothy! I really don't see any other supplier online for 3rd cut. If anyone knows of another source, please post it here. My two guys are terribly spoiled with that 3rd cut! :)

I don't really know what the difference is between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cut hay is, but sweetmeadowfarm.com has 1st and 2nd second cut Timothy hay if that would be an okay substitute. I ordered from them for the first time recently and the hay seems good. They sell pellets too which seem to be comparable to Oxbow.

I don't really know what the difference is between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cut hay is, but sweetmeadowfarm.com has 1st and 2nd second cut Timothy hay if that would be an okay substitute.

3rd cut is just the 3rd growth of hay of the season, and that doesn't always happen, but if it does, it tends to be very soft, green, and fragrant, and my two bunnies love it! Very few parts of the country seem to ever grow it, but up around Oregon and Washington, the conditions apparently are favorable for it.

Have you tried orchard grass? In my experience with oxbow the orchard is always soft and green whereas the timothy is a bit stiffer. My two get a mix of both kinds with other varieties occasionally added in.

Aria prefers orchard grass. I haven't seen any third cut Timothy, but her orchard grass is very soft and fragrant. It smells sweet and fresh.

Mine just love hay! I feed timothy sometimes and other times i feed oxbow. I have some rabbits that prefer stalker strands and the others like the leafy hay from oxbow better. I think it really depends on your rabbits and what they like.

Heres a site. I buy 2nd cut from a local farmer and its wonderful. Its softer and smells great. Its also easier to stuff in a hay rack than 1st cut which is what's sold in pet stores.

http://bunnybale.com/HayOrdering.html

I love the concept of the bunny bales on that site, but my two guys just weren't into it.

Kleenmama told me she has plenty of Bluegrass, and it's similar to 3rd cut Timmie, so I'm going to try that.

I was going to suggest you try Kleenmama's Bluegrass. My rabbits love it. I have a large canvas bag of it in Skyler's room. He sits in the middle of it and chows down.

I sure hope they do like the Bluegrass. They go into a frenzy everytime I open the 3rd cut Timmie box. It's like crack hay for them. :hyper:

Ha ha bunny crack..

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I'm happy to report that my two guys really like Bluegrass. It's a little coarser than 3rd cut Timothy, but this batch is very fresh, and has long strands that they like to pull out. Very little goes to waste, too, which is unusual. ~They typically are very picky about what is deemed worthy. :sunshine:

I usually get my hay from Kleenmama's Hayloft when I have the money for it, but lately I have had to go to the local feed store because I just don't have the $50 for the hay, that is with shipping.

Latest posts

Back